Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daughter purchased 2013 SF with 3.3 engine. Lots of issues within last 24 months since purchase.Electronic control module needed replaced. Several coils gone bad. About 8 months ago started running hot....blown head gasket. Had head gasket repaired and trusted local mechanic. He noted to me that there were issues with the machining on the head, especially with having to rethread the bolts. Ran great for about 3 months. Now head is gone again; mechanic says engine needs to be replaced. Having issues finding an affordable 3.3 engine. With engine cost and mechanic cost to install, car would not be nearly worth what I have put into it (and still owe on it). Perplexed? Replace the engine (3500-4500 engine cost only); or try to sell (give away) the car since it won't run. Suggestions helpful???

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I would tend to think that perhaps the cylinder head was warped from overheating and that may have been missed on the original repair. His comments about machining issues may be telling. Why does it now need an engine? I would ask specifically what has happened since the head gasket replacement that now necessitates an engine replacement. Not trying to throw stones here, but something just does not add up.

I would also ask if the cylinder head gasket was the actual failure or consequential damage. A stuck thermostat or a leak elsewhere could have led to overheating that caused the cylinder head gasket to fail. If there was a leak your daughter would have noticed that the coolant bottle was getting low. If it was an external leak there would also have been an odor and possibly visible leakage to the ground. If it was leaking internally then it may have been burned off through the exhaust or contaminated the engine oil, which could lead to an engine replacement. Sudden failures of a cylinder head gasket are possible, but are usually the exception not the norm.

Cylinder head gaskets just do not fail in a short period of time without a reason. The engine certainly did not have issues from assembly as it apparently ran for almost 6 years before this cropped up.

As for what to do....I think I'd want a better understanding of what happened before making that decision. Again..Not saying that something was not done right on the first repair but....A repeat that fast is not normal.

For everyone's benefit....Engine overheating is a really bad item. Do not continue to drive with an engine that is clearly running very hot or overheating. I am not trying to talk down to everyone. I have seen many cases where people continued to drive and additional and sometimes catastrophic damage was done to the engine. Being under warranty is not an excuse. The operator has the responsibility to act in a reasonable manner. Driving it until the engine seizes could lead to the owner being responsible even if the vehicle is under warranty. Some ECMs / PCMs can tell us how long a vehicle was overheating, so in some cases a Dealer and the Manufacturer can actually show that negligence (Continued driving with a clearly overheating engine with warning lights and messages on) led to the failure and deny warranty coverage. Other clues can come from the internal engine components.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I am obviously non-mechanical. I believe my daughter drove the car while “hot.” There was no visible water (heater core) or thermostat issues. When I replaced the first head gasket I also had the thermostat replaced. There were two issues that were reported to me by the mechanic when the first head gasket was replaced. First, the issue related to the need to “retool” the bolts connecting the head. The bolts would not tighten properly because the threads had been somewhat stripped/warped. Second he noted that the head was quite warped and the machinist did his best to repair/realign. The mechanic told me that he would suggest my selling the vehicle ASAP. But, my daughter was upside down on the car and I was forced to hope for the best. The mechanic is one of the most trusted in our community. He does all my family’s work and we trust him completely.
The leak now is visible and appears to be coming from the “bolt areas.”
If I don’t replace the engine, is there another option. Thank you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would rebuild the current engine as cheaply as possible (if possible) and sell it off immediately. Otherwise drive it into a ditch a claim your insurance 😅

·
Registered
751 Posts
First, the issue related to the need to “retool” the bolts connecting the head. The bolts would not tighten properly because the threads had been somewhat stripped/warped. Second he noted that the head was quite warped and the machinist did his best to repair/realign.
If I don’t replace the engine, is there another option. Thank you.
I'd find another mechanic, and not much of a choice, probably a used engine needs to be installed. Not certain as to where you're located:
www.car-part.com
Even ebay has engines as low as $2800 with free shipping.

There are even "yards" that do installation, naturally depending on your location/availability.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts