Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha,
I am trying to remove the center dash storage tray. I've removed the 2 visible screws under the hinges. The tray is still fitted pretty tight. Does anybody know if I am suppose to pry it out at this point? I don't want to start prying if I've missed something. I don't see any other accessible screws.

Thanks!

·
Banned
532 Posts

Why on earth would would you want to do this, or you could tell me to MYOB.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to mount my GPS in the tray. I want to drill a small hole in the tray and run the power cord for the GPS behind and down the dash to the floor and plug in to the lower center console. I want it to be a clean instal with no cords coming out. So I can just close the storage lid and the GPS unit and power cord are completely concealed.
Make sense?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I am going to mount my GPS in the tray. I want to drill a small hole in the tray and run the power cord for the GPS behind and down the dash to the floor and plug in to the lower center console. I want it to be a clean instal with no cords coming out. So I can just close the storage lid and the GPS unit and power cord are completely concealed.
Make sense?
What kind of GPS is that? :confused: Just curious

Can you post the pictures please.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Once you remove the screws, use a trim removal tool or taped up screwdriver to pry it up. It is a bugger to remove as the fasteners are stiff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turbofan,
I am really nervous about snapping the fasteners. What kind are they? Any other thoughts? Where did you pry? Is the tray one complete piece? Any pics?
Thanks!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Turbofan,
I am really nervous about snapping the fasteners. What kind are they? Any other thoughts? Where did you pry? Is the tray one complete piece? Any pics?
Thanks!
I pried at it from the right side with a taped slot screwdriver. Be careful not to damage the soft rubber dash around it. I find all panels on this car are harder to remove than my previous vehicles. You shouldn't break any clips. The vents beside the radio are also hard to remove the first time. Once you have the center storage out, you can see the top of the radio. You can also try and remove the radio out first and push it up from underneath, but it is well snapped into place. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Turbo,
All I want to do is run the power cord of the GPS down behind the dash to the floor and out from the dash to the center console 12 volt input. I'm assuming that once I get the tray out I will be able to fish the power cord down behind the radio and to the floor. Is that correct? Do you see any problems?
Thanks,

·
Registered
584 Posts
I purchased an adapter that has three switches that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. The female socket is connected to the switch assembly via a wire that I ran under the small cover above the sockets and I have my GPS, LED foot well lights and DVR plugged into it. The socket is hidden behind the covers of the center console and this allows me to turn things off/on with switches. It is a clean install and these covers come off easily. I mounted my GPS on the left side of the window and fed the power/traffic lead down between the "A" pillar and dash to this hidden socket.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear fishbiscuit,

I had similar idea about stowing my GPS power cord in the dash box.... Were you successful? How did you pry out the storage box? Is there actually a safe place to drill through it while still in place (i.e. so you don't have to remove it at all)? Please advise.

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just Finished removing the tray. Used a screwdriver and pried it up from the right side. It is a very tight fit but it will come out.I then removed the door from the tray and drilled a 1/2" hole on the bottom right side of the tray. On the passenger side under the dash is a hinged cover held on with two screws. Remove the screws and the cover will hinge down. Next I held a flash light down through the tray opening and saw the light shinning through on the right side of the radio.Used a 1/8" fibreglass rod pushed it down and fished the Garmin Nuvi plug up into the tray opening through the bottom of the tray and put the tray back. Put a suction disk in the tray and a job well done. I will post photos tomorrow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd like to disassemble the tray latch and run some kind of cable release latch to a hidden location to open it. Then it would essentially "lock" my conceal pistol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts