Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am second owner so no idea what the green stuff in the radiator is. That plus the fact that I am sure I am way past due for a coolant change, I have decided to do a full flush and fill.
The problem is that I can barely get a gallon to drain out with each flush cycle (more like 3 qt). I have done 3 cycles but ran out of time so will have to finish tomorrow. There has to be a way to get more coolant out but I can't find any reference to coolant flush on 2013+ on this forum or anywhere else on the internet.
There has to be another plug besides the one on the radiator right?
Owners manual says the total capacity is 2.2gal. After 3 cycles I am still at about 20% according to my coolant tester.
If no other drain then I will end up having to dump almost a gallon of new partially diluted coolant just to get up to 50%.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found a hose on the water pump that was easy to pull and that got me another quart drained. Still took 6 flushes (7 gal distilled H2O) to get to were I couldn't see any color.
After the final drain I filled with concentrate, ran the engine, drained again and filled with more concentrate. In the end I used all 2 gal of antifreeze and came up short at about 45%.
Will have to get another gallon of concentrate in the fall and do one more drain and fill before winter.
FYI, the coolant I used was Peak Global (amber dye). I don't buy into the "lifetime" philosophy but I expect it to be good for 50,000 at least.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turns out those Prestone coolant testers read a bit low when the coolant is hot. So, with the coolant fully circulated and cooled, I ended up with very close to 50%.

If I had this to do over, I would just get 3 gallons of 50% green OEM compatible (Silicate, borate, nitrite, amine free) and do 2 drain and fill cycles. Dump, rinse and refill the overflow as well.
I am pretty sure now that the coolant in the vehicle was from original factory fill and there was no need to do a full flush. The fluid that drained was bright green and crystal clear.
I am accustomed to old school coolant that turns brown and cloudy as it ages. Going much past 3 yr / 30,000 mile was a sure way to rot and/or clog your radiator.
The corrosion protection of the these new coolants seems to wear down so slowly that you can go way past manufacturer recommendations and still not have any sludge buildup.

·
Registered
67 Posts
How did you resolve the coolant flush issue. Have 2013 3.3 l and planning to flush sh n fill the coolant. Want to do just one flush n fill. What is wrong with doing flush/fill only once. Any advice?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did you resolve the coolant flush issue. Have 2013 3.3 l and planning to flush sh n fill the coolant. Want to do just one flush n fill. What is wrong with doing flush/fill only once. Any advice?
What do you mean by "one flush n fill"? To me that means:
1. drain
2. fill with new 50%
3. run engine to temperature
4. drain
5. fill again with 50%

As long as the old fluid that drains out is clear, this should be fine. Just make sure you use Silicate, borate, nitrite, amine free coolant.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks a lot for your immediate response. You mentioned twice drain n fill. That will be using about 6 gallons.

I meant only ONE drain n fill and that will be using only 3 gallons. Just make sure it is well drained. Will that hurt the radiator/engine?

Yes, you are right coolant is Ethylene glycol based. Silicate, borate, nitrite & amine free

Thanks again

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem I had with the drain part is that the most you can drain is about half of what is in the engine and reservoir. That really doesn't count as a flush in my book.
One drain and fill would probably be fine and give you 50K miles till next flush.
What I did was overkill (4 drain and fill cycles with distilled water).

·
Registered
274 Posts
I wouldn't over think this job. I have had nothing but older cars for the last 40 years and I have found the cooling systems never need a flush and a partial drain and fill every 5 or so years keeps them perfectly clean inside. Older copper/brass rads are a different story. They needed more maintenance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I see your point on the over kill. If I couldn’t get full drain I will repeat. Drunken Elvis info is highly appreciated. Enjoyed so much I must have read it 3 times . Thanks both of you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts