Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody change their tire size? Mine is 175 70r14 but I've had people tell me those are dinosaurs.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
380 Posts
On my aftermarket 14's With 5" rim width I ran 185/65/14 tires.
On my Konig 15's with a 7" wide rim I run a 205/50/R15 tire.
Both of these gave me speedometer reading that were faster than stock setup but I really didn't care about all that.
Good luck. 👍

·
Registered
873 Posts
Both of these gave me speedometer reading that were faster than stock setup but I really didn't care about all that.
My speedometer showed 10% faster with the stock tires & rims. I assumed this was by design. Imagine if they tried to make it perfectly accurate. Eventually, someone's car would then display 10% slower, and Hyundai would be sued for causing accidents (or citations for speeding, resulting in higher insurance premiums for the affected owner). I assumed Hyundai factored in a margin of error in their favor.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Elantra SE
227 Posts
My 2013 Accent with stock tires read faster than actual speed like 55 on speedometer was actually 50. The margin of error was in Hyundai favor for sure. Seems to me though it was done to make it look like you were getting better mpg than actual numbers.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
380 Posts
😂😂
Guess I need to get my gps from the truck and see exactly how much faster/ slower I'm actually doing with my rim tire setup. 🤷🏼‍♂️👍
I keep wondering why cars fly by me when I'm supposed to be doing 70. 😂🤨🤔😉

·
Registered
873 Posts
Seems to me though it was done to make it look like you were getting better mpg than actual numbers.
That's definitely possible (especially in light of Hyundai being caught falsifying the MPG numbers, having to reimburse everyone hundreds of dollars).

The only thing that suspicious about that motive (or, serves as an offset to it): It doesn't change the official MPG numbers which are based on a dynometer, not the dashboard's estimates. Buyers still make decisions on that. But, I can definitely see the fuzzy-warm feelings it would give drivers, and that would go to Hyundai's benefit, for sure.

If there is mendacity involved (more than just the lawyers saying "be conservative, leave yourself a margine of error for safety's sake"), I think it would be in the realm of reducing the term of the warranty. I think this was talked about years ago, and I got it backwards then (maybe I'm getting it backwards now). But, if they say you're going faster than you really are, they're also saying you put more miles on your car than you really did. (A 100k mile warranty becomes a 90k mile warranty.).

The way Hyundai is reported to invalidate warranty claims for the slightest reason, it would definitely be realistic for them to shave 10% off the warranty period this way.

But, that seems like it would open them up to another class-action lawsuit (truth in advertising). However, if they say "it's erring on the side of safety; all manufacturers do it; it's an industry practice, the warranty's term is widely known to be 'odometer miles,' not literal distance."

I bet it's something like that, and it's just fortunate "coincidence" for Hyundai that they are the beneficiary of a "safe margin of error."

I suppose that view depends on whether it really is a industry-wide practice. I bet that it is. But, I don't know.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does anybody change their tire size? Mine is 175 70r14 but I've had people tell me those are dinosaurs.
I bought Uniroyal Tiger Paws recently, they were one of the few tires I could find in that size. They seem to wear good and they handle good in the rain and snow, grooved pavement makes the car feel like it is moving around a lot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts