Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched all over the internet for the correct strut assembly to fit a 2013 Hyundai Sonata SE with the 18 inch rims and sport suspension, yet I can't find anything anywhere at all about struts that are made for this car and aren't WAYYY over priced. To help with detail my car was born March 20th 2013 and my vin number is: 5NPEC4AC8DH715825

Please someone somewhere help me out. I've replaced the shocks and sway bar links yet I can't find sport tuned struts. Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
916 Posts
If you can't find your front struts aftermarket, then you may be stuck buying OEM.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's 500 dollars for 2 struts I didn't want to have to spend but oh well. Thank you!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Honestly, If you cannot even afford Factory Shocks and Struts, but you want to engage in race tuning you Sonata???

The average suspension tune and modification to improve on Factory setting for racing, cost $15K in parts and $30K USD. I have friend that weekend race SCCA regional. They drop $15K to $30K every year just to race regular Sudan!!! Racing can make even the richest men cry pain, because of cost and time!!!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Nowhere does the OP say he's race tuning his Sonata. If you read his post his car is equipped with the optional factory installed sport tuned suspension. Sonata SEL turbo cars had this type of suspension. He's having a hard time finding replacement struts aftermarket and regular non-sport tuned struts won't fit.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've searched all over the internet for the correct strut assembly to fit a 2013 Hyundai Sonata SE with the 18 inch rims and sport suspension, yet I can't find anything anywhere at all about struts that are made for this car and aren't WAYYY over priced. To help with detail my car was born March 20th 2013 and my vin number is: 5NPEC4AC8DH715825

Please someone somewhere help me out. I've replaced the shocks and sway bar links yet I can't find sport tuned struts. Thank you for your help!
Dearest Jacob, Please race safely on track. You can register at SCCA to learn how to drive and you can experience the expense of racing pure stock class for one week end.

Typical one weekend track session with a stock car. Will cost you the following:
1). Tires, summer performance tires $800+, racing $2,000
2). Brakes, rotors, pads, $200 to $2,000
3). Hub-bearings, $400 parts to $1,000 installed
4). 4 wheel suspension tuning for track, $600 to $1,000
5). Lower ball joints
6). Tie rod ends
6). CV axles
7) engine oil, filter, air filter, spark plugs
8). Transmission oil flush
9) differential oil flush
10). Steering rack and pinion service.

This is just the typical service for one week end sessioN racing a pure stock class!

Again, what makes you think you can modify your car beyond stock, if you cannot afford stock parts???

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,689 Posts
If your willing to drop it 1" you can get Tru hart Sport Suspension (struts and shocks ) for < $320 available direct or on many Ebay Dealers. You will also need at least 1" lower springs.

On my LF I replaced with these and God Spring 1" lowering springs. Have had them in for 25,000 miles now and am very happy with them. Improved handling without harsh ride. I got the Truharts off ebay for $ 270 and springs for $ 130, so $ 400 and my labor for all four corners new

·
Registered
487 Posts

Reminder, The technical engineering director of BMW M chassis development and his engineering team now work for Hyundai/Kia. Their N product also gets additional chassis tuning by Lotus UK. The stock shocks and struts are nitrogen filled and manufactured by Sach.

Aftermarket nitrogen shocks and struts can be purchased from KYB, Monroe and Sach.

Fully Adjustable (compression, rebound and spring rate and ride height) are available from several sources, be ready to pay top dollars!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone other than Raymund which thought I was trying to upgrade my stock parts to racing parts. I have no idea where you got that from. I've tried everywhere though online and every strut says "excludes sport suspension" I have read however that some monroe struts work for the 2011 hyundai sonata 2.0t with sport suspension with the correct moog stabilizer links. Can anyone apply that to a 2013 hyundai sonata se 2.4 with sport suspension?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If your willing to drop it 1" you can get Tru hart Sport Suspension (struts and shocks ) for < $320 available direct or on many Ebay Dealers. You will also need at least 1" lower springs.

On my LF I replaced with these and God Spring 1" lowering springs. Have had them in for 25,000 miles now and am very happy with them. Improved handling without harsh ride. I got the Truharts off ebay for $ 270 and springs for $ 130, so $ 400 and my labor for all four corners new
Can you confirm that the struts and shocks would fit a 2013 Hyundai sonata SE with 18 inch rims and the sport suspension? I have the C vin number. Specifically the sport suspension tho with the weird fittings

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thank you everyone other than Raymund which thought I was trying to upgrade my stock parts to racing parts. I have no idea where you got that from. I've tried everywhere though online and every strut says "excludes sport suspension" I have read however that some monroe struts work for the 2011 hyundai sonata 2.0t with sport suspension with the correct moog stabilizer links. Can anyone apply that to a 2013 hyundai sonata se 2.4 with sport suspension?
you can definitely choose to get new links with the incorrect (stock) shock. that has worked for some. i have the same (stock) setup as you and i got mine on partsgeek with no issues. $207 for 2 front complete assemblies and 2 rear struts. unity automotive was the marketed name.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Can you confirm that the struts and shocks would fit a 2013 Hyundai sonata SE with 18 inch rims and the sport suspension? I have the C vin number. Specifically the sport suspension tho with the weird fittings
these also will fit yours with modified links. they will lower vehicle more than im comfortable with though so i went as close to stock as i could.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,689 Posts
Give them a call or call K5 Optima Store they will confirm fitment and get you the correct ones. I know TruHart has made them for both the LF and YF models

Here is an EBay link but i would call Tru Hart first for part# TRUHART LOWERING PERFORMANCE SPORT SHOCKS SET FOR HYUNDAI SONATA 2011-2014 | eBay

it appears the YF come with links as well as the shocks and struts

Remember you cannot use stock springs , you must use at least 1" lowering springs. I went with the most mild lowering springs I could find and it only lowered my car 1.1" which is minimal, also Im running a 245/45/18 tire instead of the 235/45/18 stock tire so with the slightly taller tire I really only lowered my car about 1/2" from the stock with the 235/45 tires

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

What my stock strut looks like (driver) vs what strut I was told is "sport suspension" and was supposed to fit my car perfect. My stock doesn't look like sport suspension to me but I could be wrong. Can anyone find quick struts that look like my stock?

·
Registered
187 Posts
its been covered multiple times. the only difference is link mount orientation on the strut. towards back, towards engine, or towards front.
from the looks of the picture you uploaded, the strut you are holding is for the sport suspension and you do not have the "sporty type" suspension.
either way, all 3 variations are available on partsgeek and they have the most detailed descriptions/images so you can verify you are ordering right 1.

13 2013 Hyundai Sonata Strut Assembly - Suspension - DIY Solutions, FCS Automotive, KYB, Monroe, TRQ, Unity, Front, Front Left, Front Right, Front and Rear - PartsGeek

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

This is what the non sport suspension strut assembly looks like for my car (driver side) compare it to my picture and you'll notice the link bracket is on the opposite side

Edit: if you compare it to my stock strut not the one in my hand

1 - 20 of 42 Posts