Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I just wanted to say hi to the forum and thank everyone for posting. I've been reading a lot of the threads and learning a lot about this great vehicle. I do have some comments about the vehicle and a few questions.

Questions
  • How accurate is the instant mpg/it doesn't seem very accurate.
  • Are there any firmware update for the 2013 computer that you're aware of?
  • how low do you let your fuel gauge get before you refuel?
  • how much does each fuel bar represent? 17.2\12?
  • Did you guys get your Windows tinted? does it affect the solar glass at all?
  • how do the fog lights actually help?
  • is there a way to tell the different hybrid sonata year models apart? It seems like maybe the rims?

Comments
  • The displays are very distracting. I wish there was a display for simply miles per hour. (speedometer). it seems like it'd be an easy enough upgrade for hyundai to implement
  • I love the economic air conditioning mode. just the right amount of airflow
  • the horn kind of sucks
  • the trunk space seems very limited but I won't complain too much about that to the 2011 and 2012 folks
  • I hate that it doesn't come with a spare - I think I will buy one on eBay like someone on the forum suggested

Thanks and feel free to answer all or none of my questions.
Also in turn if you have any questions for me about the 2013 please feel free to let me know.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Questions
  • is there a way to tell the different hybrid sonata year models apart? It seems like maybe the rims?
Comments
  • The displays are very distracting. I wish there was a display for simply miles per hour. (speedometer). it seems like it'd be an easy enough upgrade for hyundai to implement
  • I hate that it doesn't come with a spare - I think I will buy one on eBay like someone on the forum suggested
-Long story short, your MPG display is accurate for all practical reasons (there is a thread on this you can read or go to Wayne Gerdes site)
-Don't know of any firmware updates for 13's yet
-I let my tank run almost empty before refilling 1) convenience, 2) it leads to more accurate MPG calculations, 3) many other reasons...
-No idea, an averaged out estimate can be calculated by total gallons divided by the number of bars you see, however, typically fuel gauges are highly non-linear.
-Yes, tinted windows to UT legal limit and love it. Looks awesome on Pearl white ext w/ grey int.
-They just do. I believe it's because they are a slightly different color/wavelength of light, but any quick google search could've answered this.
-Definitely under the hood, there are differences that you can read about on this forum. Exterior wise, maybe slight difference, however, even I have hard time telling between years (all things being equal in looks) and I usually look out for these cars.

Lastly, you'll get used to the displays. If you're like most hyper-milers, you'll find yourself wanting a few more indicators on the display that Hyundai didn't give us. First accessory I purchased for my car was the Hyundai spare tire kit. One other thing that I added to my car was a full-hood clear bra. Love it and I have always done tint/full bra to all my new cars.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hello, I just wanted to say hi to the forum and thank everyone for posting. I've been reading a lot of the threads and learning a lot about this great vehicle. I do have some comments about the vehicle and a few questions.

Questions

Comments
  • I love the economic air conditioning mode. just the right amount of airflow
  • the horn kind of sucks
  • the trunk space seems very limited but I won't complain too much about that to the 2011 and 2012 folks

Thanks and feel free to answer all or none of my questions.
Also in turn if you have any questions for me about the 2013 please feel free to let me know.

I have a 2012 but I don't go by the instant mpg because there are too many variables that through it off. I stay with the average mpg which is pretty accurate.

I go until the fuel light light comes on then fill up. It's usually around 14 to 14.5 gallons when the light comes on, so I guess there is about a 3 gallon reserve.

The bars don't seem to be linear as the post above me stated.

Yes, I got the windows tinted. The solar glass only reduces the UV rays. It's like wearing clear UV glasses as opposed to UV sun glasses. They both give you UV protection, but I'd rather have the shade with it.

The fog lights help out a lot since they are aimed more at the road infront of the car instead of ahead of the car. The fog lights light up the road and suffer less from dispersion (which is why you should never use high beams in the fog).

Exterior wise, probably the rims as the body shape is still the same from 2011. Interior, the 2013 is the first year for steering wheel paddle shifters on the Limited.

Just put your display to trip meter A. Most dealerships set it to the Energy Flow screen, but I'd rather just have the trip meter up.

Almost every compact and mid size vehicle has a crappy beep beep horn.

The trunk is the tradeoff factor. I would rather the large trunk and fold down seats, but realistically, how often do you use it? This is why I traded my SUV in. I wanted a vehicle that could tow and store large cargo, but over a year time, think about how many times you had to use it? My wife said, if I needed a vehicle for large items, just rent a truck for the day.

Yeah, Hyundai does not offer spares in the Elantra or the Accent either. I guess it's their way of cutting cost over the whole amount of cars they manufacture. However, even if it had the donut spare, I would still buy a full size to replace it like I did my Elantra.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the forum and especially this thread. We bought our 2013 HSH 1-year used with 18K miles on it in mid-April. It's a red bottom-of-the line (no sunroof, no nav, no rear camera, etc.). About a month later we took a 1700 mile road trip as far as Myrtle Beach (from CT) getting about 40MPG average; highest MPG reading 49.9. Took 3 adults, lots of luggage, and a food chest. It's quiet, comfy, beautiful.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here's my take on what I know:
I think the instant MPG is good for having an idea of the current consumption. I would agree that it's not very accurate. Numerous times I've seen my average MPG drop (example from 45.5 to 45.3) with the instantaneous MPG pegged at 50.

I typically let my tank get pretty low before I refuel, I like to see how many miles I can get. I'd agree with Kayan on the accuracy of the average MPG, the few times my calculated mileage was exact, or very close, was after a lot of miles. My displayed average MPG typically runs around 2 mpg more than my calculated MPG. I have a conspirisist theory on that, which doesn't involve ethanol either.

I know the rims are different between the base and the limited. Other than that I think they're the same on the outside.

I typically keep my display on the MPG. It's a good guide to how you're driving.

My '13 doesn't have a spare either.

Guidget, did you mean 2014 for the paddle shifters? I have a '13 Limited and there are no paddle shifters.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The odometer is not exactly accurate, so don't forget that when you manually calculate your MPG's. It under-reports miles a little more than 2%.
My observations match Kayan's when he said running a full tank of gas seems to give much more accurate Average MPG's.
Best of luck to you,
Jeff

·
Registered
39 Posts
Guidget mentioned "steering wheel paddle shifters". Huh? My car is a '13 HSH Basic and the paddle shifting is done by pulling the stick to the left side.

Question about how far can you go when the tank is approaching empty. As of a couple of days ago, I had 39 miles to empty, 1 segment in the analog gas gauge, and the fuel pump symbol was lit. Earlier yesterday I had 30 miles to empty. As of yesterday evening (my wife was driving so I didn't get a good look), the miles to empty and/or miles per gallon displayed a few dashes while the gauge still displayed one segment.

With my older cars, I knew I could go as much as 40 more miles after gauge was right on Empty.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Guidget mentioned "steering wheel paddle shifters". Huh? My car is a '13 HSH Basic and the paddle shifting is done by pulling the stick to the left side.

Question about how far can you go when the tank is approaching empty. As of a couple of days ago, I had 39 miles to empty, 1 segment in the analog gas gauge, and the fuel pump symbol was lit. Earlier yesterday I had 30 miles to empty. As of yesterday evening (my wife was driving so I didn't get a good look), the miles to empty and/or miles per gallon displayed a few dashes while the gauge still displayed one segment.

With my older cars, I knew I could go as much as 40 more miles after gauge was right on Empty.
Distance to empty with one bar left

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm starting to read the referenced link in the Kia Optima forum. Thank you.

This morning I "panicked" when last segment on gauge starting flashing so I went to nearest gas station despite being a few cents more per gallon. It only took 14.7 gallons despite specs saying tank is 17.2 gallons. Obviously one can drive a little further.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts