Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 hyundai Sonata Blue is is making a loud tapping sound when turned on. At first when I drove it, attempting to reach a dealership, the vehicle had a hard time speeding up and the sound would speed up and get louder has i increased speed. Eventually i was forced to pull over and the vehicle was not moving anymore but will still turn on. The temperature of the vehicle according the the vehicle is normal and i checked the belt and it was fine. I believe it might be something internal. Anyone have any idea what it might be and anyone have a rough estimate how much it will cost me. I will be finding g out on tuesday so place your bet. The Hirricane Dorian is around the corner and the vehicle has left me stranded border line to it's out later path. If it moves more inland my family and I will have no way of evacuating and will ride out the storm in our manufactured home. Wish is luck.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
You may be victim of the Sonata engine seizure issue. You are posting in the hybrid forum, and would probably get better information in the Sonata forum if you own a regular Sonata. If yours is a hybrid, then the engine was made in Korea, and not part of the class action lawsuit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much do you think it would cost to fix this issue? I have a hybrid so the compensation does not apply to me.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
If it is a rod knocking for sure, you are talking a very expensive engine rebuild.
Check out these posts:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I own a 2011 Sonata hybrid and had the same exact issue last year. I had over 100k miles but was the original owner of the car so Hyundai totally covered the engine rebuild. I think Hyundai is worried about another suit since the hybrids seem to have the same issue as the US Sonatas. I shouldn’t complain but the dealer that did the repair had my car for more than 6 months before the parts to repair the engine arrived.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I'm surprised they covered it out of warranty, but glad it worked out for you. Did they set you up in a loaner vehicle for those 6 months? That's a long time for a repair.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts