Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I am now the proud owner of a 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS, and while I really love the car for what it is I have a desire to do some upgrades. I am currently in High School and I'm only make $8 an hour so nothing real crazy please. Mainly looking to spice up the exterior a little along with the interior some, give it some pop. The first thing I would like to do preferably is replace the stock radio with either the factory navigation (if that's possible) or something aftermarket that also fits in well with the dash such as those Tesla style screens. So I'd really appreciate radio suggestions. I also was wondering if it's possible to replace the stock key and key fob with one of the newer flip keys. I just think the stock keys look like they're straight out of 2001.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All!

I am now the proud owner of a 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS, and while I really love the car for what it is I have a desire to do some upgrades. I am currently in High School and I'm only make $8 an hour so nothing real crazy please. Mainly looking to spice up the exterior a little along with the interior some, give it some pop. The first thing I would like to do preferably is replace the stock radio with either the factory navigation (if that's possible) or something aftermarket that also fits in well with the dash such as those Tesla style screens. So I'd really appreciate radio suggestions. I also was wondering if it's possible to replace the stock key and key fob with one of the newer flip keys. I just think the stock keys look like they're straight out of 2001.

Thanks!
Crutchfield is a great place to look for upgrading your stock radio. Many years ago, I helped my daughter, then in high school, pick a suitable replacement for the radio in her 1996 Dodge Intrepid. She had a budget of $200, and we found a reasonable head unit and even some speakers. I paid for professional installation (when I was in high school, I upgraded my own car's stereo and got the power wire hooked under my metal watch and touched a ground and proceeded to burn my wrist in one spot. I still have the scar to this day, about 38+ years later, lol. I learned to never wear any jewelry while working on my car. Experience is a good teacher!). Anyway, good luck to you - for me, having a decent head unit is worth more than anything else you could do, but that's my opinion.

BTW, my 2012 Sonata SE is going to the same daughter, who now has two sons of her own and needs more room than their Honda Civic can provide.

Cheers,
Dave.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Save your money. Drive it as is.
Not to be rude but I do believe I asked for recommendations on car modifications not financial advice. I specifically have had a fund open since I was younger to be able to do these kinds of things for myself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i would say do an chrome grille they look better to me IMO. Cheap update:
Grille
also maybe some LED lights in cup holder. I was thinking of doing it myself, but havent got to it yet. Looks cool
Cup Holder Lights
Definitely a better radio, not sure if the factory nav one fits in the gls, but it looks good but you would have to replace all your climate control buttons and such i believe. Might be a tricky replacement, but you can get the whole thing off ebay.
Radio ( i got one for 100$ on best offer)
harness kit:
Bezel

Hope this helps. Just my 2 cents :cool:

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Not to be rude but I do believe I asked for recommendations on car modifications not financial advice. I specifically have had a fund open since I was younger to be able to do these kinds of things for myself.
He never ever has anything worthwhile to post! I am totally convinced he likes to run up his number of posts! Just ignore him!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i would say do an chrome grille they look better to me IMO. Cheap update:
Grille
also maybe some LED lights in cup holder. I was thinking of doing it myself, but havent got to it yet. Looks cool
Cup Holder Lights
Definitely a better radio, not sure if the factory nav one fits in the gls, but it looks good but you would have to replace all your climate control buttons and such i believe. Might be a tricky replacement, but you can get the whole thing off ebay.
Radio ( i got one for 100$ on best offer)
harness kit:
Bezel

Hope this helps. Just my 2 cents :cool:
Sadly I did look at getting the factory nav in terms of connectors I'm not sure but I do think it would work with that bezel you sent because from what I remember the nav system doesn't retain the clock screen and all that. The bezel you sent looks to have a cut out for that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts