Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I am having an issue with my 2013 Sonata Hybrid starting on cold mornings. Most morning it’s fine but a few mornings here and there it’s been -35C. On those mornings it will try and start with no luck, sometimes it will even give me the message “ no key detected” when the key is directly plugged into the Center console.

Almost everybody in my town plugs their cars in over night during the winter.

is there a spot to plug my Sonata in? If so, where under the hood can I find it? I had a quick look but didn’t see anything right away...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Like most hybrids, the 12V battery fires up the car electronics, which in turn allows the hybrid battery to provide the juice to start the engine, when required. How old is your 12V battery? Is it original? With your temp extremes, the battery might warrant a replacement. It might not be a bad idea to use a heating pad/warmer for the battery that you can plug in overnight.

·
Registered
252 Posts
2013 oh! The trunk 12V is a bit long in the tooth. You can change it for a H6R model. It may also be time to change the batteries in the key fobs. A trunk battery never gets warmed up from the engine. You may want to leave a trickle charger on it in very cold nights. The battery warmer as mentioned is a good idea. A block warmer can be installed in the engine, but the real weakness in the system, is the trunk battery.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts