Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 with 97,700 miles in it. It cut off randomly yesterday at highway speeds. The radio and everything stayed on. Had I not looked down to see the rpm gauge at zero I wouldn’t have realized it. The only thing it was doing odd was revving higher than usual, but it just got colder here so I figured it was it adjusting to that.

It started right back up and was fine the rest of the day.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I should also add it has been using oil, but I don’t know if it’s related with a high mileage engine like this one. I started high mileage oil from Pennzoil last change so I’m waiting to see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car goes to the dealership next Monday for some diagnostics. I’m going to change the PCV valve as someone thought maybe that was causing oil consumption.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Justin, do you have a remote start...mine did the same thing. I started it with the remote and on the way home it died...lights-on, radio-on. The fob killed the ignition...no problem after starting with the key.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you ever get the Engine recall before?
I did. I had the software update and the engine inspection where they change the dipstick out.
Update: the dealership confirms the engine has seized. Hyundai has approved a replacement engine. Just waiting on the engine and the work to be complete. They quoted 2 weeks best and maybe longer at worst.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I did. I had the software update and the engine inspection where they change the dipstick out.
Update: the dealership confirms the engine has seized. Hyundai has approved a replacement engine. Just waiting on the engine and the work to be complete. They quoted 2 weeks best and maybe longer at worst.
Wow 2 Engines?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow 2 Engines?
No. I had the engine inspection. When they inspected them they changed the dipstick from yellow to orange so that other dealerships could easily tell who had engines that were inspected and not inspected. I also had the ECM update that added the knock detection software. This engine gave out without warning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts