Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I spend a fair amount of time on the various Hyundai and KIA forums, looking for systemic problems that might affect my Forte at some point in the future. And engines blowing up is right on top of the things I'm looking for. But I'll automatically discount any engine failure report that doesn't also include a reasonable sounding oil change/check history (2011-12 Sonatas and other Alabama built vehicles excluded).

So when I first read this post it superficially sounded like there was an oil change history. But it only took a few seconds for me to realize there's something seriously wrong with this picture. He said that the receipts were 'stored properly', but faded so badly they could not be read at all? So is this story in any way believable?

Just for giggles, I pulled out the receipt of my first KIA oil filter from 2012, and the corresponding Waldo oil receipt, which are kept with all the rest of the receipts, stored in the sleeve of the owner's manual in the glove box. Yep, as expected, both receipts are still crystal clear, just like the day they were printed. So, unless his receipts were printed with disappearing ink, this story has to be pure BS.

And the OP never bothered to come back to the conversation and answer any of the follow up questions either. So all of this makes me regard this story as someone who missed oil changes, and is fishing for information about what his chances are of getting warranty coverage without full doc.

So many times these engine failure stories are shaky or incomplete, that it's hard to know which ones involve defective engines, versus simply poor maintenance. Beyond regular oil changes, it's been fairly well established that many of the GDIs and Turbos use (burn ...) oil. How many owners check the oil level regularly between oil changes? I'm guessing the answer is very few. So it seems possible that there are lots of these engines on the road with a history of consistently low oil levels.

But I'm not discounting the possibility of systemic engine issues existing, and certainly will not be surprised if a design or manufacturing defect is proven via engineering analysis. I'll continue to keep an open mind about this, and hopefully one day soon the full truth will become known.
Well I was waiting for a response from you to hear your rebuttal but just like you I have a life and job away from a PC especially if my energy and focus was to get my car fixed also I never was notified via email that anyone was responding to this thread. I have re read your logic which I will say it make sense but to the "normal" driver why would they check their oil if the "turbo" is burning it. No where in the manual it states warning turbo burns oil please add more oil if necessary. The average person will do its regular maintenance within its interval and if there is no warning signs or lights your not worrying about it. Also do me a favor and show me a 2 year old receipt from Walmart, Target, or any store that uses that special receipts that fades after awhile and tell me if you can read it? Now I travel a lot for work and I add alot of miles to my car and I used synthetic blend and change it between 2700-3000 miles. why? because the next trip will add an extra 1000-2000 so for me it was easier to do it then versus every 5K+ and have them use that excuse of a broke down car which obviously that was not the case. So to end the tale to this, this happens many times with Hyundai vehicles peoples complaints are not sketchy just because they did not go into details and its ok to ask a question versus assume just because I am not replying I must be lying. Let me ask you though, why are you searching for "blowing up engines on forums on your Kia and or systemic issues then find common related issues and then some how state is must be a user error or as we call it in the tech world ID10T. For you to be looking for common issues that means you have had issues or must be realizing your car and most cars are not perfect and you want to know other people issues and learn how they over come it to use that as knowledge just in case it happens to you. The part that puzzles me after my post there was a guy who stated he got his engines swapped out 4 times and another stated another issue but don't see you saying anything. Well hope your question was answered sir.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I spend a fair amount of time on the various Hyundai and KIA forums, looking for systemic problems that might affect my Forte at some point in the future. And engines blowing up is right on top of the things I'm looking for. But I'll automatically discount any engine failure report that doesn't also include a reasonable sounding oil change/check history (2011-12 Sonatas and other Alabama built vehicles excluded).

So when I first read this post it superficially sounded like there was an oil change history. But it only took a few seconds for me to realize there's something seriously wrong with this picture. He said that the receipts were 'stored properly', but faded so badly they could not be read at all? So is this story in any way believable?

Just for giggles, I pulled out the receipt of my first KIA oil filter from 2012, and the corresponding Waldo oil receipt, which are kept with all the rest of the receipts, stored in the sleeve of the owner's manual in the glove box. Yep, as expected, both receipts are still crystal clear, just like the day they were printed. So, unless his receipts were printed with disappearing ink, this story has to be pure BS.

And the OP never bothered to come back to the conversation and answer any of the follow up questions either. So all of this makes me regard this story as someone who missed oil changes, and is fishing for information about what his chances are of getting warranty coverage without full doc.

So many times these engine failure stories are shaky or incomplete, that it's hard to know which ones involve defective engines, versus simply poor maintenance. Beyond regular oil changes, it's been fairly well established that many of the GDIs and Turbos use (burn ...) oil. How many owners check the oil level regularly between oil changes? I'm guessing the answer is very few. So it seems possible that there are lots of these engines on the road with a history of consistently low oil levels.

But I'm not discounting the possibility of systemic engine issues existing, and certainly will not be surprised if a design or manufacturing defect is proven via engineering analysis. I'll continue to keep an open mind about this, and hopefully one day soon the full truth will become known.
There actually is "disappearing" ink (just not a nefarious purpose). Most receipts printed with a thermal printer (Lowes, Home Depot, for example) will fade from HEAT. So if you store them in your glove compartment, there's a high probability that a day or two in the hot summer sun will roast your receipts. I've had mine "disappear" all the ink just by keeping the receipt in my back pocket for a day or two (in the summer with my sweaty butt--haha).

So it's possible. My oil changes (even on my POS chevy) have always been printed out on actual 8x10 paper (not thermal paper), but I only ever went to the dealer or Firestone (ugh) or the local mechanic place down the road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had multiple Hyundai vehicles in the past and my 2013 Santa fe I must say had more problems than any other. I had to replace both fog lamps 2 times because the center piece that deflects the light fell off.
Then my ball joints fail, after I had to replace my turbo inline feed (dealer part, but local repair shop), Now my engine is making a knocking noise and I was told by a local mechanic that my connecting rod in the engine is about to snap and I have to get a new engine. I already know its a hassle to get a dealer to pay for some warranty claims like a replacing a motor and I have to show proof of all oil changes etc. I actually did some of my own oil changes and allowed the dealer to do some when I went in for warranty work. I got all the receipts for the ones I did and kept it stored properly but the ink is so faded from the years of storage I cant see anything on there. So now I have to prove 4 gaps on my oil change intervals before I take the car to the dealer...UGH... So here I am with a 50 50 chance praying these guys will accept the warranty claim once I get everything I need

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had multiple Hyundai vehicles in the past and my 2013 Santa fe I must say had more problems than any other. I had to replace both fog lamps 2 times because the center piece that deflects the light fell off.
Then my ball joints fail, after I had to replace my turbo inline feed (dealer part, but local repair shop), Now my engine is making a knocking noise and I was told by a local mechanic that my connecting rod in the engine is about to snap and I have to get a new engine. I already know its a hassle to get a dealer to pay for some warranty claims like a replacing a motor and I have to show proof of all oil changes etc. I actually did some of my own oil changes and allowed the dealer to do some when I went in for warranty work. I got all the receipts for the ones I did and kept it stored properly but the ink is so faded from the years of storage I cant see anything on there. So now I have to prove 4 gaps on my oil change intervals before I take the car to the dealer...UGH... So here I am with a 50 50 chance praying these guys will accept the warranty claim once I get everything I need
I have same problem. My engine blow 4000 miles over the warranty. I did oil change a few times on my own and same like you the ink so faded. It just happened a few days ago. Can you tell me what the dealer did with you ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have same problem. My engine blow 4000 miles over the warranty. I did oil change a few times on my own and same like you the ink so faded. It just happened a few days ago. Can you tell me what the dealer did with you ?
I hate those Home Depot, Lowes, and other receipts that fade out. I highly recommend that Hyundai owners post their receipts on the MyHyundai website: Welcome to MyHyundai | MyHyundai
My dealer still posts the service records on MyHyundai, but if I do anything myself I post the receipts. So far, the oil and filter changes have been done at the dealer every 1,000 miles. The third one at 3K and the fourth one is due in 3 months at 4K, if I reach that many miles. I have to do the every 6 month maintenance intervals.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I buy my oil and filters from Amazon. I print out the purchase and write the date and mileage on the print out then file. I also scan the image-----

21 - 27 of 27 Posts