Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had multiple Hyundai vehicles in the past and my 2013 Santa fe I must say had more problems than any other. I had to replace both fog lamps 2 times because the center piece that deflects the light fell off.
Then my ball joints fail, after I had to replace my turbo inline feed (dealer part, but local repair shop), Now my engine is making a knocking noise and I was told by a local mechanic that my connecting rod in the engine is about to snap and I have to get a new engine. I already know its a hassle to get a dealer to pay for some warranty claims like a replacing a motor and I have to show proof of all oil changes etc. I actually did some of my own oil changes and allowed the dealer to do some when I went in for warranty work. I got all the receipts for the ones I did and kept it stored properly but the ink is so faded from the years of storage I cant see anything on there. So now I have to prove 4 gaps on my oil change intervals before I take the car to the dealer...UGH... So here I am with a 50 50 chance praying these guys will accept the warranty claim once I get everything I need

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've had more problems than you my friend on my 2013 2.4L SFS lol. I have had two engines replaced, full exhaust replaced, exhaust heat shield replaced, front axle replaced, battery replaced 3 times, alternator replaced, oil problems, electrical problems and my Nav radio replaced. I had a 2012 Sonata 2.0T before this and blew two engines as well on that one. A rod let go and blew a hole threw the top of the block and the number 2 cylinder overheated and melted the bottom of the spark plug off and it fell in the cylinder and destroyed it. I will never buy a Hyundai again due to my bad luck with them. I am so glad they have a good warranty because I used the heck out of it! Good luck and god speed!

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I've had more problems than you my friend on my 2013 2.4L SFS lol. I have had two engines replaced, full exhaust replaced, exhaust heat shield replaced, front axle replaced, battery replaced 3 times, alternator replaced, oil problems, electrical problems and my Nav radio replaced. I had a 2012 Sonata 2.0T before this and blew two engines as well on that one. A rod let go and blew a hole threw the top of the block and the number 2 cylinder overheated and melted the bottom of the spark plug off and it fell in the cylinder and destroyed it. I will never buy a Hyundai again due to my bad luck with them. I am so glad they have a good warranty because I used the heck out of it! Good luck and god speed!
Man, I feel your pain! I guess I was lucky when our 2014 Santa Fe's engine started sounding like a diesel at around 3K miles. Hyundai wanted to replace engine but I requested a new Santa Fe and I was given one.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm actually looking to trade mine for a Sienna. It's ridiculous how many engines have blown and they still won't transfer the power train warranty to 2nd or 3rd owners.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm actually looking to trade mine for a Sienna. It's ridiculous how many engines have blown and they still won't transfer the power train warranty to 2nd or 3rd owners.
Power train warranty is transferable to 2nd and 3rd owners but at 1/2 the original owner's warranty.
If the original warranty was 100,000 mi the subsequent owner's warranty becomes 50,000 mi.
Here is the warranty page: https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance/america-best-warranty.aspx#1

·
Registered
349 Posts
Power train warranty is transferable to 2nd and 3rd owners but at 1/2 the original owner's warranty.
If the original warranty was 100,000 mi the subsequent owner's warranty becomes 50,000 mi.
Here is the warranty page: https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance/america-best-warranty.aspx#1
Yeah, that's pretty lame on Hyundai's part.

The 8th Generation Honda Accord had an oil burning issue. You know what Honda did? Extended the warranty to 120,000 miles and replaced the oil rings. It doesn't matter which owner you are. Oh course, that was after a lawsuit.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Just like the good old days in the 80s when Hyundai's were known for engines blowing up. I recall back then when I had my Saab 9000T and an acquaintance picked up a Sonata and thought it was the cat's meow, so one day going up a long steep incline he tried to keep up with my Saab - he couldn't and was falling behind and in the rear view mirror I saw a whole lot of smoke coming from his car as it coasted to the side of road - now that was one of the better laughs I've had in a long while.

So how many engines have blown - I though Hyundai kept that kind of info private, or are you saying that based on the posts here.

·
Registered
349 Posts
So how many engines have blown - I though Hyundai kept that kind of info private, or are you saying that based on the posts here.
I'm saying that based on this forum, sorento, veloster, rio, and other hyundai/kia facebook groups. I've done enough research to know not to buy a Hyundai/Kia that's 2013 or older. There are too many reports with blown engines. It's a manufacturing defect in engines made before April 2013. Weak rods. Hyundai knows better but decides not to help the owners unless the court says so or if you're the first owner and didn't pass your 10year/100k miles period.

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
761 Posts
I'm saying that based on this forum, sorento, veloster, rio, and other hyundai/kia facebook groups. I've done enough research to know not to buy a Hyundai/Kia that's 2013 or older. There are too many reports with blown engines. It's a manufacturing defect in engines made before April 2013. Weak rods. Hyundai knows better but decides not to help the owners unless the court says so or if you're the first owner and didn't pass your 10year/100k miles period.
Ugh, that sounds rough. I believe the 2013 was the new model year/redesign. I got hosed in a similar fashion by GM with the 2005 Chevy Equinox. 2 blown head gaskets (the first at like 38,000 miles or something, but that was 5 years after I had the car), carrier bearings, axle, etc. Turns out GM pretty much knew there was an issue with the V6 aluminum engines for pretty much all their vehicles from 2005-2009, but refused to do anything about it. Go to carcomplaints.com and see the horror stories (Oh, the horror). haha (well, haha after I spent like $3k out of pocket, and the extended warranty company spent close to $8k for subsequent repairs over 5 years).

So I can definitely understand someone not wanting to buy a Hyundai in that situation. I'll never buy a GM again.

·
Registered
307 Posts
... I actually did some of my own oil changes and allowed the dealer to do some when I went in for warranty work. I got all the receipts for the ones I did and kept it stored properly but the ink is so faded from the years of storage I cant see anything on there. So now I have to prove 4 gaps on my oil change intervals before I take the car to the dealer...
I spend a fair amount of time on the various Hyundai and KIA forums, looking for systemic problems that might affect my Forte at some point in the future. And engines blowing up is right on top of the things I'm looking for. But I'll automatically discount any engine failure report that doesn't also include a reasonable sounding oil change/check history (2011-12 Sonatas and other Alabama built vehicles excluded).

So when I first read this post it superficially sounded like there was an oil change history. But it only took a few seconds for me to realize there's something seriously wrong with this picture. He said that the receipts were 'stored properly', but faded so badly they could not be read at all? So is this story in any way believable?

Just for giggles, I pulled out the receipt of my first KIA oil filter from 2012, and the corresponding Waldo oil receipt, which are kept with all the rest of the receipts, stored in the sleeve of the owner's manual in the glove box. Yep, as expected, both receipts are still crystal clear, just like the day they were printed. So, unless his receipts were printed with disappearing ink, this story has to be pure BS.

And the OP never bothered to come back to the conversation and answer any of the follow up questions either. So all of this makes me regard this story as someone who missed oil changes, and is fishing for information about what his chances are of getting warranty coverage without full doc.

So many times these engine failure stories are shaky or incomplete, that it's hard to know which ones involve defective engines, versus simply poor maintenance. Beyond regular oil changes, it's been fairly well established that many of the GDIs and Turbos use (burn ...) oil. How many owners check the oil level regularly between oil changes? I'm guessing the answer is very few. So it seems possible that there are lots of these engines on the road with a history of consistently low oil levels.

But I'm not discounting the possibility of systemic engine issues existing, and certainly will not be surprised if a design or manufacturing defect is proven via engineering analysis. I'll continue to keep an open mind about this, and hopefully one day soon the full truth will become known.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I spend a fair amount of time on the various Hyundai and KIA forums, looking for systemic problems that might affect my Forte at some point in the future. And engines blowing up is right on top of the things I'm looking for. But I'll automatically discount any engine failure report that doesn't also include a reasonable sounding oil change/check history (2011-12 Sonatas and other Alabama built vehicles excluded).

So when I first read this post it superficially sounded like there was an oil change history. But it only took a few seconds for me to realize there's something seriously wrong with this picture. He said that the receipts were 'stored properly', but faded so badly they could not be read at all? So is this story in any way believable?

Just for giggles, I pulled out the receipt of my first KIA oil filter from 2012, and the corresponding Waldo oil receipt, which are kept with all the rest of the receipts, stored in the sleeve of the owner's manual in the glove box. Yep, as expected, both receipts are still crystal clear, just like the day they were printed. So, unless his receipts were printed with disappearing ink, this story has to be pure BS.

And the OP never bothered to come back to the conversation and answer any of the follow up questions either. So all of this makes me regard this story as someone who missed oil changes, and is fishing for information about what his chances are of getting warranty coverage without full doc.

So many times these engine failure stories are shaky or incomplete, that it's hard to know which ones involve defective engines, versus simply poor maintenance. Beyond regular oil changes, it's been fairly well established that many of the GDIs and Turbos use (burn ...) oil. How many owners check the oil level regularly between oil changes? I'm guessing the answer is very few. So it seems possible that there are lots of these engines on the road with a history of consistently low oil levels.

But I'm not discounting the possibility of systemic engine issues existing, and certainly will not be surprised if a design or manufacturing defect is proven via engineering analysis. I'll continue to keep an open mind about this, and hopefully one day soon the full truth will become known.
First I was venting and I said the auto parts receipts not from a mechanic shop but from autozone or walmart. Just to let you know I complained to Hyundai Head Quarters and it was confirmed it was a bad engine and not operator error, I did all my oil changes within the 5K interval. Now there are multiple sites that people claims to have the same issues and also this is my 3rd Vehicle from Hyundai and the only one that has given me multiple problems right out of the lot. I was not expecting help from anyone on this chat board this is just a forum where we as people who sharing something in common can speak our mind. So again I posted this just to vent out because at the end of the day its between me the car and the company. Again the engine was replaced by Hyundai because it was confirmed it was bad engine. I hope who ever has this issue they know where to start.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
You're the second owner and Hyundai replaced your engine free of charge?

Also, what oil filter was on the engine during the failure.
It was an Autozone filter I believe an STP Tough guard. Yup so I pretty much emailed and tweeted Hyundai corp stated the facts showed proof and NHTSA website. Explained this my 3rd vehicle with them and was going to move to the Genesis showed them proof I was a loyal Hyundai Owner. They called me right away and approved a tow from my house to dealer and then approved diagnostics. They called me and apologized and I pretty much stated at the end of the day you guaranteed a engine for 100K/10 Years because the company its self believes their engine is durable why as a second owner I do not get the guarantee its the same vehicle and this would have happened to the first owner. Dealer called me back saying great news its going to be replaced we did not find any sludge etc etc. Get this though my Turbo oil line was leaking 5 months ago I went in to the dealer and they told me not covered under warranty. So I went ahead a paid for it out of my pocket, the worst thing is the oil light on the car never came on I noticed a pool of oil under my car. I filled it with oil and drove it to the dealer while driving you can see the smoke etc so you know the leak was bad..Now i get a recall paper about the oil line, I had to replace my wheel speed sensor last year and guess what I got a letter stating to take it in for the wheel sensor. I am soooo ready to get a Toyota Highlander or something....

·
Registered
349 Posts
It was an Autozone filter I believe an STP Tough guard. Yup so I pretty much emailed and tweeted Hyundai corp stated the facts showed proof and NHTSA website. Explained this my 3rd vehicle with them and was going to move to the Genesis showed them proof I was a loyal Hyundai Owner. They called me right away and approved a tow from my house to dealer and then approved diagnostics. They called me and apologized and I pretty much stated at the end of the way you guaranteed a engine for 100K/10 Years because the company its self believes their engine is durable why as a second owner I do not get the guarantee its the same vehicle and this would have happened to the first owner. Dealer called me back saying great news its going to be replaced we did not find any sludge etc etc. Get this though my Turbo oil line was leaking 5 months ago I went in to the dealer and they told me not covered under warranty. So I went ahead a paid for it out of my pocket, the worst thing is the oil light on the car never came on I noticed a pool of oil under my car. I filled it with oil and drove it to the dealer while driving you can see the smoke etc so you know the leak was bad..Now i get a recall paper about the oil line, I had to replace my wheel speed sensor last year and guess what I got a letter stating to take it in for the wheel sensor. I am soooo ready to get a Toyota Highlander or something....
You are lucky! I didn't expect Hyundai to honor the warranty to 2nd owners. I have a 2013 and I'm also the 2nd owner. I'm getting ready to trade it in for a Sienna. It's Toyota and Hondas from here on out for my family.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are lucky! I didn't expect Hyundai to honor the warranty to 2nd owners. I have a 2013 and I'm also the 2nd owner. I'm getting ready to trade it in for a Sienna. It's Toyota and Hondas from here on out for my family.
Indeed I am! I guess I was just bitching and dealing with corporate versus the dealer at the end the dealer needs to make the money so they wont give me advice to handle with Hyundai Corp. I was not ready to spend 5K on a re-manufactured engine and have the same issue. once I get the car..The trading process will begin! I did not want to trade it in with a busted engine and not get anything for it.....I will admit one of my favorite designs suv etc but man not worth the trouble.

To Kiaguy1 there is a guy who has a forte and his engine blown and he claimed he did all of this oil changes at the dealer and they would not honor the warranty. that was one of the first claims I had read.

Now to any ones theory what makes me scratch my head if it was from lack of maintenance surely you would get a warning perhaps a low oil light because its sludge or a check engine light, power loss, maybe a rough start.. I had no signs just a rattling noise.

I drove the care for 5 days with rattling and again no power loss no check engine light I took it to a mechanic and he automatically new it was a connecting rod and stated it was not if it fails when. I took it back home 30 miles away driving regular just a rattle no issue with the turbo, l I assume the turbo would be affected if it was lack of oil change...

On a cold start you cant hear the rattle but when its fully warm meaning the oil is thinner since its hot it sound like a drum battle between 2 drummers

1 - 20 of 27 Posts