Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, wishing you all a great new year. We are having some serious issues with our 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe DM 2.2 CRDI. The vehicle shut off by itself two weeks ago, and then the Parking lights switched on automatically.

We took it to the dealership, and the scanner showed DTC P1186. Every fuel system component was checked, including fuel pumps, the fuel pressure regulator valve, the rail pressure sensor, the rail pressure sensor harness, and the rail pressure sensor circuit; no issues were found.

We noticed the battery needed replacement and bought a new one. The next day the vehicle was cranking normally, but the engine didn't start.

Then the scanner showed DTC P1690. The following was then checked:
  • SMARTRA response
  • Antenna coil
  • Communication line error
  • Any invalid message from SMARTRA to Engine Control Module (ECM)
  • A faulty SMARTRA
Everything seemed to be working correctly. We also checked fuel injectors, and all were working.

We checked the fuel filter, and it is in ok condition.

As I mentioned before, the vehicle cranks as usual, but the engine won't turn on.

Both DTC were erased and didn't show up again.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Could be the EMS. See this thread, Ignore the no turnover description as I posted based on my wifes description! When it happened to me the car cranks just fine but wouldn't start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information, TNEGUN. I will try all these options tomorrow morning. I will post back any results.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,913 Posts
If there is low fuel pressure on a CRDi engine the ECU will not attempt to inject any fuel into the cylinders. The very first thing I check when dealing with this type of non start fault is the output voltage from the rail pressure sensor. If the voltage doesn't reach 1V during crank the ECU will not trigger the injectors which, obviously, results in a non start.

Also, does the immobiliser warning light come on when you switch the ignition on? If not it means the SMARTRA module isn't getting a signal from the transponder chip inside the ignition key. This will also result in a crank, non start. And it's a fairly common fault going by the number of posts about it on the forums here.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Open question for my own knowledge as I have 3 vehicles all CRDi and smart key, is the EMS the same as the Smart Key Module?

I was looking up P1690 under Smart Key Code saving, Immobiliser - Smartra no response

·
Registered
15,913 Posts
is the EMS the same as the Smart Key Module?
No, the EMS box is the part of the engine bay fusebox that handles the power for the Engine Management System.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi everyone, I hope this message finds you well. Here's an update on the condition of our vehicle. The High-pressure fuel pump, fuel injectors, and CRDI were removed for testing. According to the mechanic, the pump, all four fuel injectors, and the fuel pressure regulator valve need replacement. He also said the fuel filter had water on it, and that might be what damaged those three components. To be honest, I don't fully trust this mechanic. Is it possible that all these parts fail at the same time due to a low-quality diesel?

·
Registered
15,913 Posts
HSFDM said:
The High-pressure fuel pump, fuel injectors, and CRDI were removed for testing.
We're off to a bad start here. The initial testing of those components should be done with them fitted to the engine. You only remove the one that shows up a problem in the initial tests.

HSFDM said:
According to the mechanic, the pump, all four fuel injectors, and the fuel pressure regulator valve need replacement.
And this is the same pump, injectors, etc that the dealer checked only a week ago and reported that they were all good?

HSFDM said:
He also said the fuel filter had water on it, and that might be what damaged those three components
Before you had the problem was the fuel filter warning light showing on the instrument cluster?
There is a water sensor screwed into the bottom of the fuel filter. If there is any significant water in the filter the warning light is switched on.

HSFDM said:
Is it possible that all these parts fail at the same time due to a low-quality diesel?
I suppose that is possible. But I think it is highly unlikely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts