Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughters 2013 i30 has suspected piston slap (suspected because our mechanic says it is but Hyundai dealership won't admit it). Anyway, looking at the forum feeds there are a number of discussions about piston slap in 2013 Elantra and I also came across a Technical Service Bulletin from Hyundai (Canada) admitting the issue. The Elantra has a 1.8L engine, as does the i30. My question, does the 2013 Elantra and i30 have the same engines?

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Don't know but can advise the piston slap. Piston slap is loudest when cold and under load (accelerating) reducing as the engine temp increases. From my experience the Hyundai engines don't have a problem but you have a TSB so best go by that.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Elantra is essentially the sedan version of an i30, same platform. I think the issue you will have is they won't recognise a TSB that was released for a different market unless of course it's a global issue in which case a TSB would be released to all markets. What's the plan with a 7-8 year car and hyundai rectifying it? And, what distance has it travelled, service history?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts