Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4 Door with the Premium Package (Heated Seats, etc). It has 103k miles. I previously owned a 2007 Elantra I bought brand new back in 2007 with just 7 miles on her. I drove her for 13 years with just regular maintenance (tires, brakes, oil changes). Purchasing this 2013 appears to have been a mistake on my part.

3 days after purchasing the car, it will not start in the mornings. I will put the key in and turn the ignition. All of the lights come on, everything works, and the car is in Park. Nothing happens, the only sound I hear is the fuel pump kicking on in the rear of the vehicle. If I continue to switch the key back and forth, eventually the car starts. My worry is that it just wont start someday and I am planning on traveling quite far this weekend. I called the dealership where I bought the car and they basically said tough, "its a used car and was sold As-Is". I totally get that and was hoping they would do the right thing and help me out. I researched the problem online and see there are TONS of complaints and questions about this very issue. The NHTSA has over 800 complaints. I called Hyundai Customer Service and they stated they have never heard of the problem. I called the local dealer, they also claimed "we have never heard of that problem".

I am not trying to get something for free. I just want to know what the fix is, and I will pay to get it repaired, but no one seems to know. The dealer says they wont even consider giving me a loaner unless they can duplicate the problem. I have a video of the start issue showing what I am talking about taking in the morning when my car wouldnt start however, they said they cannot use that. There are no engine codes and no check engine or warning light comes on during the occurance. I drive 20 miles each way to work every day and taking an Uber just isnt an option while the car sits at the dealer waiting for them to replicate an intermittent problem.

I have had the battery, alternator, and fuel pump tested. All are functional and do not need to be replaced. I know there are several other owners who have this problem but I can't seem to find any information on what the fix, or cause is. It is not the inhibitor switch as my Gear Indicator on the dash shows P, or D, or R, whichever gear it is in. Its not the brake switch because the lights work and I am able to shift the car from D in P and vice versa.

Has anyone actually found a solution to this fix? I thought having such a reliable Elantra previously that I didnt need to do my research into buying another one however, it appears 2013 is a particularly troublesome year for the car. I am so worried I just dropped $7k on a LEMON.

Help!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I recently purchased a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4 Door with the Premium Package (Heated Seats, etc). It has 103k miles. I previously owned a 2007 Elantra I bought brand new back in 2007 with just 7 miles on her. I drove her for 13 years with just regular maintenance (tires, brakes, oil changes). Purchasing this 2013 appears to have been a mistake on my part.

3 days after purchasing the car, it will not start in the mornings. I will put the key in and turn the ignition. All of the lights come on, everything works, and the car is in Park. Nothing happens, the only sound I hear is the fuel pump kicking on in the rear of the vehicle. If I continue to switch the key back and forth, eventually the car starts. My worry is that it just wont start someday and I am planning on traveling quite far this weekend. I called the dealership where I bought the car and they basically said tough, "its a used car and was sold As-Is". I totally get that and was hoping they would do the right thing and help me out. I researched the problem online and see there are TONS of complaints and questions about this very issue. The NHTSA has over 800 complaints. I called Hyundai Customer Service and they stated they have never heard of the problem. I called the local dealer, they also claimed "we have never heard of that problem".

I am not trying to get something for free. I just want to know what the fix is, and I will pay to get it repaired, but no one seems to know. The dealer says they wont even consider giving me a loaner unless they can duplicate the problem. I have a video of the start issue showing what I am talking about taking in the morning when my car wouldnt start however, they said they cannot use that. There are no engine codes and no check engine or warning light comes on during the occurance. I drive 20 miles each way to work every day and taking an Uber just isnt an option while the car sits at the dealer waiting for them to replicate an intermittent problem.

I have had the battery, alternator, and fuel pump tested. All are functional and do not need to be replaced. I know there are several other owners who have this problem but I can't seem to find any information on what the fix, or cause is. It is not the inhibitor switch as my Gear Indicator on the dash shows P, or D, or R, whichever gear it is in. Its not the brake switch because the lights work and I am able to shift the car from D in P and vice versa.

Has anyone actually found a solution to this fix? I thought having such a reliable Elantra previously that I didnt need to do my research into buying another one however, it appears 2013 is a particularly troublesome year for the car. I am so worried I just dropped $7k on a LEMON.

Help!
could be crank position sensor.....do a search on this site for similar symptoms....

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,408 Posts
It doesn’t stall or have trouble turning over. Would that still be the CPS?
No, it would not.

3 days after purchasing the car, it will not start in the mornings...I called the dealership where I bought the car and they basically said tough, "its a used car and was sold As-Is".
You shouldn't just take their word for that. Here in the UK consumers have rights in law which allow you to return a car if it has a fault, even if the salesman says the car isn't being sold with a warranty. Do you not have consumer rights in the USA?

sixfootsix_car_guy said:
It is not the inhibitor switch as my Gear Indicator on the dash shows P, or D, or R, whichever gear it is in.
Have you tried starting the engine with the shifter in the 'P' position?

If I was diagnosing the fault the first step I would take is carry out a bypass test on the START relay located on the engine bay fusebox. Try this when the engine wont crank using the ignition key :
Switch the ignition on.
Make sure the shifter is in P/N.
Remove the start relay from the engine bay fusebox.
Use a short link wire to bridge the two terminals on the relay socket as shown below.
If the engine starts remove the link to switch the starter motor off.

If the engine cranks when the link is inserted you know the battery, starter motor, main powers and grounds are all good, meaning the fault is on the relay control circuit. The control circuit is made up of the ignition switch, alarm relay, engine ECU, and the wiring linking all those components together.

If you try the bypass post back and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Did not get a clear picture of what the issue is
The vehicle has an intermittent no crank, no start?
Or is it an intermittent crank, no start??
Each has troubleshooting in different directions
So, please a little more information and be clear.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,408 Posts
sixfootsix_car_guy said:
nothing happens when you turn the key.
Gee, what could that possibly mean :unsure:

It's difficult to understand what the problem is when folk use complicated language like this. Please use plain English in future :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I called the dealer yesterday and they took the car into the shop this morning to fix it. They still dont know what it is however, they gave me a 2019 Jeep Compass for a loaner until they fix the problem. Thank you for the CONSTRUCTIVE replies. @avisitor sorry you have little man syndrome and cannot understand plain english. Go scratch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did not get a clear picture of what the issue is
The vehicle has an intermittent no crank, no start?
Or is it an intermittent crank, no start??
Each has troubleshooting in different directions
So, please a little more information and be clear.
AS IT SAYS... NO CRANK... NO START.. WHEN YOU TURN THE KEY, NOTHING HAPPENS. NO CLICKING, NO ATTEMPTS TO TURN OVER (NO CRANK). Is that clear enough?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, it would not.

You shouldn't just take their word for that. Here in the UK consumers have rights in law which allow you to return a car if it has a fault, even if the salesman says the car isn't being sold with a warranty. Do you not have consumer rights in the USA?

Have you tried starting the engine with the shifter in the 'P' position?

If I was diagnosing the fault the first step I would take is carry out a bypass test on the START relay located on the engine bay fusebox. Try this when the engine wont crank using the ignition key :
Switch the ignition on.
Make sure the shifter is in P/N.
Remove the start relay from the engine bay fusebox.
Use a short link wire to bridge the two terminals on the relay socket as shown below.
If the engine starts remove the link to switch the starter motor off.

If the engine cranks when the link is inserted you know the battery, starter motor, main powers and grounds are all good, meaning the fault is on the relay control circuit. The control circuit is made up of the ignition switch, alarm relay, engine ECU, and the wiring linking all those components together.

If you try the bypass post back and let us know how it goes.

Unfortunately, in the US, particularly here in Idaho when you buy a car "As Is"... you are SOL if something goes wrong a mile after you drive it off the lot. Glad they are helping me out!

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
AS IT SAYS... NO CRANK... NO START.. WHEN YOU TURN THE KEY, NOTHING HAPPENS. NO CLICKING, NO ATTEMPTS TO TURN OVER (NO CRANK). Is that clear enough?
Sorry, little man syndrome here.
Can not understand your Mid Western English.
And, I don't think I can help you.

I have read many posts.
And the person asking for help doesn't always clearly state what is wrong.
They will say something like the engine cranks but just doesn't turn over. If it cranks then it is turning over. So, I asked you to be clear. Sorry that this is too much to ask of you. Good luck with your charmed life.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Gee, what could that possibly mean :unsure:

It's difficult to understand what the problem is when folk use complicated language like this. Please use plain English in future :D
You're right, I should have assume he knew how to speak English proper like so many others.
And, I should have realized that all he wanted was to vent his frustrations.
He did not want any help from us. He was always going to take it to the dealer to get it fixed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sorry, little man syndrome here.
Can not understand your Mid Western English.
And, I don't think I can help you.

I have read many posts.
And the person asking for help doesn't always clearly state what is wrong.
They will say something like the engine cranks but just doesn't turn over. If it cranks then it is turning over. So, I asked you to be clear. Sorry that this is too much to ask of you. Good luck with your charmed life.
Hahaha lol. Mid West? You have no idea what you're talking about, and thats includes when it comes to your knowledge about cars too :) . I wouldn't want your help. If you cannot understand simple English, you probably wouldn't be much good to me. I did not come here to vent my frustrations, on the contrary, there have been several replies that have been helpful. That being said, your's were not.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Hahaha lol. Mid West? You have no idea what you're talking about, and thats includes when it comes to your knowledge about cars too :) . I wouldn't want your help. If you cannot understand simple English, you probably wouldn't be much good to me. I did not come here to vent my frustrations, on the contrary, there have been several replies that have been helpful. That being said, your's were not.
You wish to continue on this venting. So be it. It is a forum.
So what was helpful? You knocked down the idea of a CPS.
Of course, if he read your post correctly
then he would not have suggested that since it was not cranking.
Autospark mentioned doing a relay by-pass test. Did you try? Doubtful.
Did you even understand what he meant?
Check fuses? There have been so many here that say they checked the fuses.
But, didn't do it right. Simple???

Don't want my help? That is fine. You're probably better off not listening to my advice.
Little man syndrome is a tough thing to overcome.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE ** The dealership had the car over a week. They were able to duplicate the starting issues, however, they were unable to find a reason at first glance. The checked the battery (which I had checked at an Auto Zone) and found that it was in fact low. The reason it tested good at Auto Zone was because I drove the car to the store, thereby, charging it all the way there with the alternator. The said the battery's have touchy cells and if one is low on water, thus low on charge, it will not start the car. This didnt sound right to me as all of the ACC items worked when the car would switch on but not start. I took his word for it and they said they put it on a trickle charger and kept it for a few more days. It continued to start each morning they had it for the next 5 days. I got the car back yesterday morning, and she started this morning at 5am when I left for work and again at noon on my lunch break. I am crossing my fingers that the water was just low in that cell in the battery and they corrected the issue. I will post more if the problem persists.

·
Registered
501 Posts
There should be a mark on the battery showing how old it is. I won't rely heavily on that trickle charge which probably be short lived. Have a fresh start with a new battery to avoid getting stranded. This is one of the items I look at before I buy a used car. Changing the fluids/filters, if maintenance is unknown, is another thing you should expect to do.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Once it starts, it Runs like a champ. I don’t think it’s the CPS. It doesn’t hesitate to start, nothing happens when you turn the key.
Had this exact problem when I bought my 2012 believe it or not it was the battery it didn't have enough cold crank amps bought a new one never happened again. (battery tested good as did starter and alternator etc. fyi if you put the car in neutral it will or should start)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had this exact problem when I bought my 2012 believe it or not it was the battery it didn't have enough cold crank amps bought a new one never happened again. (battery tested good as did starter and alternator etc. fyi if you put the car in neutral it will or should start)
You are so right. Since they look at CCA on the battery I havent had an issue this last week trying to start it. :) Looks like it has been resolved. Thanks for your reply.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts