Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Best bet for booster replacement is going to be junkyard pulls unfortunately. Or else paying full retail from a Hyundai parts dealership.
I was recently interested in that subject myself as I had a leaky seal between booster and master cylinder. I verified it by blowing cigar smoke into the booster. Smoke flooded out around the master cylinder. That much at least I knew was bad. However the brakes basically worked fine. They weren't hard or spongy, unless you hit them at wide open throttle in which case there was no vacuum boost left so the pedal was hard and unresponsive for a scary instant. Not knowing how extensive the repair would have to be I looked off and on for weeks for re-manufactured boosters on Rockauto.com. But there was nothing to be had. Chronically out of stock item. In my case, as it turned out, a new booster line with check valve, and the o-ring seal between booster and master cylinder was all I really needed. From what I recall seeing at car-part.com an allegedly A-OK working booster from a junked car ran about $80-$90 at nearby yards.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes, if brake booster is causing a sudden vacuum leak when peddle is pushed, that could definitely reduce vacuum to point engine could stall. If engine is not affected when not braking, the problem could be with shaft seal near master cylinder or seal at firewall side. Those two sealing areas might not cause leak until movement is forced by peddle, where a bad diaphragm would leak no matter which state.

HOWEVER, booster problem should not cause brake pedal to go to floor. Brakes should still function, just require a lot more force.
Well then that must not be my problem then. The brakes are very soft and aren't as responsive as they were before.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Found this today. Looks like there's a small oil leak.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It almost looks like it's a leaking head gasket, but I can't tell if that's by the head gasket or valve gasket.

·
Registered
364 Posts
It almost looks like it's a leaking head gasket, but I can't tell if that's by the head gasket or valve gasket.
Most likely timing chain cover leak. I would just snug up bolts near the leak (maybe 2 or 3), clean off oil and check later see if still leaking. The bolts are smaller ones left of one clearly seen in picture, but right of larger empty hole seen. They set back a little, you can barley see head of one near empty hole. Best I can tell from manual torque is 8.7 ft. lbs. if you’re that particular, just keep in mind they’re small so don’t ring one off.

·
Registered
364 Posts
You might also snug the one you can easily see in your picture. Looks like torque on that one is 17.4 ft.lbs., can't really tell if oil came from there or just weeped upto it.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts