Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a CPO hybrid in February and noticed while driving on the Highway and city streets, the battery never goes above halfway. Actually, it goes to 3/4 on the highway but as soon as the EV comes on, it drops to the 1/2 mark quickly. We never had it get full. Is thus normal?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have only seen ours get close to full while driving in mountainous areas where I used the regen braking frequently. We also get 45 to 50 mpg. The cars seems efficient climbing hills and energy recovery of gravity pulling you downhill gets back more than was used climbing. Our best mileage is always in hilly territory. The design of the brakes leads to them dragging which will show up in lower mileage. We always put energy tires on, even the winter tires. Learn to use regen braking and you will see the charge go up more. It does drop quickly which is why you have a gas engine. The best mileage is obtained with a smooth driving style. Moderate acceleration to speed, back off throttle completely to invoke EV. Brake early but lightly. Using the brake lightly for long periods is good which sounds like riding the brake, but with a hybrid you are generating energy. Harder application, > 20%, bypasses regen and you are wasting energy.

No hyper mileing here. I drive 75-80 mph on the highway. We get 38 - 41 mpg mixed driving in the summer. Even at 80, you should be looking for opportunities to get it into EV.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, that’s great mileage. I’m not getting anywhere near that mileage with just city driving and little highway.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Wow, that’s great mileage. I’m not getting anywhere near that mileage with just city driving and little highway.
Might want to look into your driving style as a root cause there as well. I get the best MPG in the city and freeway traffic and long highways are the lowest. I'm getting 55+ around town... I'm always looking for ways to keep in EV mode and regenerate, etc.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Might want to look into your driving style as a root cause there as well. I get the best MPG in the city and freeway traffic and long highways are the lowest. I'm getting 55+ around town... I'm always looking for ways to keep in EV mode and regenerate, etc.
Indeed, if you're driving the hybrid around the city the way other people drive ICE cars, you'll get little benefit of regen/battery. The traction battery allows for relatively long operation of the car when no moving power is needed (think how ICE cars shut their engine down for 5 seconds at a full stop, only HSH can do that much longer). And regen is a must; don't waste the car's kinetic energy on heating up your brakes. Smooth and early goes a long way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts