Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just got my new (used) 2013 HSH today. The owner gave me 2 remotes/fabs. When I got home after cleaning it and looking it over, I noticed there was a lock cylinder on the drivers door and one on the rear trunk lid.

As far as I know I was not given a regular old metal traditional key. Is that key just to unlock the car in case you lock your remote in or your remote brakes/battery dies or something? Does it do anything else? If the previous owner can't locate it, do you think I could get a key made by giving the dealer or locksmith my VIN or something?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Yes, your salesman is paid a hansom salary to provide you with all the information you need to drive and use your car to the ..... ah heck push you out the door I have another sale to make.....

You'll be amazed the questions we get asked by new (and new to you) owners.

I'm sure there will be more questions.

P.S. Check to see if you have a spare (donut) tire. P.S. Those Fob cost $$$ from the dealer. Put something on the chain like a plastic scanner card from some store, if someone finds the key they can get it back to you. Wife dropped her's in a parking lot and we got a call from the tag that someone found them.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yes, the key can unlock the door. If the fob battery is dead, at least on the '16, you can start it by pushing the button in using the fob. There must be an RFID chip in it. It also locks the glove box. If the small 12V in the trunk is dead the car won't start. You can use the key to open the trunk and then jump it.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Dont forget to use key periodically to operate door and trunk cylinders to keep them moving,,,People get used to "luxury" of push button to open car, that the day come where they need to use key and it will not go into cylinder, or cylinder not rotate... oil cylinder also

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I actually tried the trunk key, showed the wife the key that comes out of the FOB.
She didn't realize the trunk had a key, nor there was a key for the door. Her 2014 SFS doesn't have a key for the back hatch.

Getting a key cut cost $$$

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually tried the trunk key, showed the wife the key that comes out of the FOB.
She didn't realize the trunk had a key, nor there was a key for the door. Her 2014 SFS doesn't have a key for the back hatch.

Getting a key cut cost $$$
For other cars in the past I've gotten keys cut by lock smiths on eBay and it wasn't too bad, like $15.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts