Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm new to the froum and recently picked up a 2013 Sonata gls. The dealer installed a Hyundai remote start before we took delivery. My question is this. After I start the car with the remote and get in to travel, the brake does not cancel the remote start. The dealer told me there was a recall on the brake switch a few monts back and the new switch is not compatiable with the remote start system. They told me the remote start will shut down after 15 minutes of drive time, which it does. If I drive the car for less then 15 minutes though, I have to use the remote to shut it off. Does this seem strange to you?

Thanks

Kevin

·
Hyundai-Forums.com Vendor
369 Posts
YES! That is BS and ALSO UNSAFE AND PROBABLY ILLEGAL. Well, maybe not illegal, but a car needs a shut off that is safer than grabbing your keychain and pressing a button. Also, the new brake switch is not uncompatible with the Remote Start as....it is just a switch, same as the old switch, just a switch.

Kevin, not only are they feeding you BS (the tech just doesn't know how to do it or is being lazy) but it's pretty unsafe to not be able to turn your key off to shut down the car if you wanted to.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Be sure it is not an aftermarket system they installed. What does your remote look like? (the one used to remote start the vehicle)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm new to the froum and recently picked up a 2013 Sonata gls. The dealer installed a Hyundai remote start before we took delivery. My question is this. After I start the car with the remote and get in to travel, the brake does not cancel the remote start. The dealer told me there was a recall on the brake switch a few monts back and the new switch is not compatiable with the remote start system. They told me the remote start will shut down after 15 minutes of drive time, which it does. If I drive the car for less then 15 minutes though, I have to use the remote to shut it off. Does this seem strange to you?

Thanks

Kevin
Your vehicle shuts down after driving it for 15 min after you start it remotely? Or it shuts off after 15 of idle before you get in? It's supposed to turn off after aprox 15 min if you don't get in after starting. And you're also saying that when you do get in and step on the brake without the key in the ign it doesn't shut off? That would not be normal. It's very possible it could be installed incorrectly (instructions are not always very clear, could be easily messed up) or the module is bad, I've seen quite a few bad modules.

·
369 Posts
Yeah let's see a picture of your remote and we can further determine. Bottom line is; yes that is weird. No it's not supposed to do that. Either installer was lazy or installer was incompetent and trying to pass it off on you hoping you won't notice and make them fix it (believe me, I've seen many an electronics installer of this caliber)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just tried to post a pic but I've only been a member for 4 days and can't do it until I have been a member for seven. It does have the emblem on it. What happens when you start with remote. U get in turn key to on and just drive off. After about 15 minutes you will notice the dome light comes on which means the remote start is disengaged. The car never stops running during this thime. If you drive less than 15 minutes you have to use the remote to shut it off cause when you turn the key to off and remove it the car is still running. We have had remote start before, I've always hit the brake to turn it off. this one you can hit the brake all you want no effect at all

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My remotes are like the ones in you ebay auction, but they have a couple extra buttons. Under the red horn button is the trunk release button and then under that there is a magnifying glass, I think its the car finder. There are six buttons total on my remote and the hyundai emblem under them

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats them, as I said the dealer installed it prior to us taking pocession of the vehicle. I don't know what to do.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Here are the operating instructions for this kit. Be sure and follow them exactly and report back.

USING THE REMOTE START FUNCTIONS
Starting Your Vehicle
The remote start function is activated by pressing the lock button followed by pressing the start button within 3 seconds on your remote control transmitter. The system will check the vehicle to ensure that it is safe to start, and if all safety parameters are correct, the engine will start within 5 seconds and run for up to 15 minutes. Press and hold the start button again for 2 seconds to turn off the vehicle.
Remote Start Safety Features
For safety and security reasons, the system will shut down the engine during remote start operation if any of the following occur:
• The brake pedal is pressed before the vehicle ignition key is turned on
• The vehicle hood or trunk/tailgate is opened
• The security system is triggered
As a safety precaution, the vehicle will shut off if left unattended after 15 minutes.
Entering the Vehicle while it is running via Remote Start
1. Press the unlock button on the remote control transmitter to unlock the doors and disarm the security system.
2. Enter the vehicle. Do not press the brake pedal.
3. Insert the key into the ignition and turn to the ON position.
4. Press the brake pedal. The remote start system disengages and the vehicle will operate normally.

Pre-Heating or Pre-cooling the Interior
Before exiting the vehicle, set the temperature controls to the desired setting and operation. After the system starts the vehicle, the heater or air-conditioning will activate and heat or cool the interior to your setting.

Using the “Quick-Stop” Feature
If you want to make a short stop and leave your vehicle running (to keep the interior warm or cool), the quick-stop feature allows you to do this while keeping your vehicle secure and your keys with you.
To engage quick-stop:
1. Stop the vehicle and place the transmission in PARK.
2. With your foot off the brake pedal, press the start button on the remote control transmitter. The parking lights will turn on and the driver’s door will unlock (if locked), indicating the vehicle is now running via remote start.
3. Remove the keys from the ignition and exit the vehicle. Press the lock button on the remote control transmitter to arm the security system and lock the vehicle doors if desired.
Caution: Do not leave children or animals unattended in the vehicle when using the quick-stop feature.
Note: If the vehicle’s windshield wipers are left on when the vehicle was last driven, then the wipers will turn on if the remote start function is activated. To avoid damage to the wiper blades (i.e. due to heavy ice or snow accumulated on the windshield), it is a good idea to get in the habit of turning the vehicle’s windshield wipers off when parking the vehicle.

Using Valet/Service Mode
Service mode is used when servicing the vehicle to prevent the system from unexpectedly starting the engine while being serviced. While in service mode, the system’s keyless entry functions will operate normally, but the security system will not arm and the remote start function is temporarily disabled. The system will honk the horn 2 times if an attempt is made to activate the remote start system.
To Engage Valet/Service Mode; turn the ignition key to the ON or RUN position and press and hold the lock button for 2 seconds on the remote control transmitter.
To Exit Valet/Service Mode (Return the system to its normal operating mode); turn the ignition key to the ON or RUN position and press and hold the unlock button for 2 seconds on the remote control transmitter.
Important Note: When taking your vehicle to the dealer for service, it is recommended that you inform the service personnel that your vehicle is equipped with a remote control start system.

Emergency Override Procedure
Use this procedure if your remote control transmitter is lost or fails to function to disarm the security system and start your vehicle.
1. Use your key to enter the vehicle. The alarm will sound after the door is opened.
2. Insert your key into the ignition and turn it to the ON position.
3. Press the override/programming button secured to the remote start wire harness above the driver’s kick panel. The vehicle alarm will stop sounding and the vehicle will be able to be started with the key.

·
369 Posts
Lazy/incompetent installer that didn't hook up brake override correctly. By looking at the kit (which looks to be almost all plug and play) looks like maybe the brake switch plug didn't fit the new brake switch (although I think they were the same plug) or with the hook up given the brake switch didn't work/interconnect for some reason (in which case they could just splice a wire) but most dealerships are, if it's not in the instructions they don't know how to do it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lazy/incompetent installer that didn't hook up brake override correctly. By looking at the kit (which looks to be almost all plug and play) looks like maybe the brake switch plug didn't fit the new brake switch (although I think they were the same plug) or with the hook up given the brake switch didn't work/interconnect for some reason (in which case they could just splice a wire) but most dealerships are, if it's not in the instructions they don't know how to do it.
What you've said is almost what the dealer told me. They said that it would not plug into the updated brake switch. I was thinking of taking it to the local custom shop who has done 4 or 5 remote starts for me in the past and let them look at it. Most local dealers use them to install remote starts. The Hyundai dealer we purchased from was in another town. It may cost me 50.00...but it may solve the problem.

·
369 Posts
What you've said is almost what the dealer told me. They said that it would not plug into the updated brake switch. I was thinking of taking it to the local custom shop who has done 4 or 5 remote starts for me in the past and let them look at it. Most local dealers use them to install remote starts. The Hyundai dealer we purchased from was in another town. It may cost me 50.00...but it may solve the problem.
Sounds like that is probably all it is, the remote starter doesn't know you're ever hitting the brake so it doesn't initiate it's take-over sequence. It should really be as simple as connecting one wire to the brake wire (but that's troubleshooting over the internet...) if that is where the connection is made for this system.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts