Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Santa Fe GLS with the 3.3 motor. I have had it for 2 months and put about 3300 miles on it (2000 mi on a vacation road trip) I'm getting a strong coolant smell coming from the engine compartment. The vehicle isn't running hot and the coolant levels have not changed, and there is no signs of a leak at all. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or is this just normal new car break in smells. Our nearest dealer is 45miles away so its hard to get it in for something that has potential of being nothing. Please advise thanks.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Watch it yourself and determine if there is indeed a problem for sure.. stuff the coated with and chemicals used for manufacture take a bit to "air out"..

Seeing you have some good mileage on it, it should have well "burped" the main cooling system and setteled, so mark the level at the overflow bottle with a SHARPIE® and watch for for a while.. see gross change, then maybe something could be up, but as long as overflow has stuff in it, rest assured the main system is full

·
22,793 Posts
Possibly one of those "not too well understood or welcomed" New Car Smells. ;) I've seen lots of posts over this very same issue. Keen sniffers vary. Mine is terrible but the wife's is super sensitive. She smelled a "coolant-type" aroma outside her 2012 Tucson. Like sbr711 said, mark the overflow reservoir and watch the level. You're probably just iring out the new machining oils, assembly sealants, plastic off gassing.

And, it's the summer. Those smells are more prevalent and noticable on new cars now than during the cold seasons.

Just for the record, I've always kinda enjoyed the smell of coolant when I was servicing my systems in the past. And the wisp of that faint sweetness of gas isn't all that bad. But, I don't go around sticking my nose down Zerex bottles or into filler tubes at the pump, either. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
When I had the cooling system flushed they spilled coolant all over the radiator amd exhaust manifold. Took a month before the stink mostly went away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just noticed the exact same smell for the first time today. Less than 400 miles on our LWB Santa Fe. No leak, and the engine isn't running hot, but I haven't yet checked the coolant level. I assumed it was something break-in related but wanted to make sure I shouldnt be concerned about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I smelled this too. After looking for about an hour I determined it was coming from the washer fluid. I smelled the back hatch after using it and it smelled just like it. Not sure what kind they use. I ran it out and refilled with Rain-X and it went away.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I noticed the same odor today as I was prepping to install my "Equus" horns in my Santa Fe. It is going to be cold and snowy again on Saturday (4th Sat. in a row), so I will be holding off doing the installation of my horns and hitch until a later date.

However, after noticing the smell of coolant, I saw a wet spot on the High Supply line of the AC just below the radiator cap. It was right next to the metal fitting on the rubber hose. I have a pic, but for some reason they never load on this website.

Not sure if that is the reason for the smell, but I will keep watching it. I wiped the area off, so hopefully it was just oil or something else spilled on it. Not good for a hose to be soaked either way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Very odd; I noticed this smell at the rear of my 2013 Santa Fe just this week, after my daughter (who is on her learner's permit) was testing out the rear wiper/washer.

It was not evident under the hood, but only at the tailgate. Engine temp and coolant-level are the same, and it didn't seem prominent from the exhaust like a head-gasket leak might produce.

Odd...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also have been experiencing this issue on '13 Santa Fe 3.3L. Have not been able to find a leak source to determine the cause. 14K miles now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts