Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed the our Sonata ride is a bit firm. I keep the tires (Kumo) inflated as per vehicle recommenation. But we seem to feel the bumps more than expected. Was driving my son's Maxima SE and it actually seemed to take the bumps better than the GLS.

Anyone else experiencing the same and is there a fix such as running tires at lower PSI....if so what are the recommendations?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Maxima is no way close to the Sonata. Its apples and kumquats and not a fair comparison to the Sonata.

And while I have heard issues about the SE, this is the first time I have read about a GLS having to firm a ride. Did you buy this new off a dealers lot?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes they are. In my experience, its to do with the tire.

I switched from 16' OEM kumhos to 18' Conti PureContact and my wife (as a passenger) was impressed with how much softer and quiet the car became. A 16' Conti would probably feel like riding on clouds :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maxima is no way close to the Sonata. Its apples and kumquats and not a fair comparison to the Sonata.

And while I have heard issues about the SE, this is the first time I have read about a GLS having to firm a ride. Did you buy this new off a dealers lot?
Yes. purchased new in May 2013. The reason I was comparing the Maxima SE (Sport Edition) is that it's ride should be expected to be firm...but NOT softer than the Sonata GLS...

Maybe as stated by another members...it's the tires???

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Yes. purchased new in May 2013. The reason I was comparing the Maxima SE (Sport Edition) is that it's ride should be expected to be firm...but NOT softer than the Sonata GLS...

Maybe as stated by another members...it's the tires???
I dunno, just changed out the Kuhmos on my 11 Limited with 17" and it was a soggy monster. Tires are certainly a contributing factor. I have Conti's DWS on it now and its not all that much different other than having inclement weather traction. :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
There is a difference between their ExtreamContact DWS and PureContact EcoPlus (mine). Big one being improved ride comfort of the later one vs. the better performance of the first one. This is based on reviews online, never owned ExtreamContacts.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
There is a difference between their ExtreamContact DWS and PureContact EcoPlus (mine). Big one being improved ride comfort of the later one vs. the better performance of the first one. This is based on reviews online, never owned ExtreamContacts.
Yeah I was down to those two. The lacking snow information as its such a new tire was enough to sway me to the "older" design.

Kuhmos were junk in snow even new so we will see with DWS's. Bro has them on his 2.3SP Mazda 3 and raved about em in snow weather.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think my '13 GLS rides hard, too. I came from an '04 XG350, and although the Sonata is lower in the pecking order of Hyundai models, I expected the newer car to ride much better. In fact, it has been noticeably worse.
I am a month or so from new tires, and expect to be switching to the Continental Pure Contact Eco Plus. I do hope this improves both the road noise and the ride.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The ride is firm and im good with that but would like to see better rebound control, if I catch a dip at highway speeds the car absorbs it ok but fails epically on rebound and bounces way too high. Not a tire issue but they definitely affect ride quality as well.

·
Registered
802 Posts
The ride is firm and im good with that but would like to see better rebound control, if I catch a dip at highway speeds the car absorbs it ok but fails epically on rebound and bounces way too high. Not a tire issue but they definitely affect ride quality as well.
I agree completely. The factory shocks for the Sonatas have terrible rebound control. I like the feel for normal road surfaces, but big bumps upset the car AFTER you pass the bump - that's a rebound issue. And it really gets bad with some of our Houston potholes that are bigger around than the tire and several inches deep - the tire drops too fast into the hole, then has to recover on compression, then gets a nasty rebound after coming out of the hole. UUGH!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts