Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a test drive in the "base" Genesis today. I was quite favorably impressed with it but for one thing. It only has tilt steering and not telescoping. Frankly, I was astonished. I would have done some serious negotiating except for this one fault. Even my Elantra GLS has a telescoping steering wheel. What on earth is this all about?

Note: I really don't need all the bells and whistles nor the Nav system. But everything else seemed to be about perfect. It had a wonderful ride and plenty of smooth power. It was a joy to drive.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Would you use it? Is it that much of a problem? Usually, you set the wheel and thats it. Or as that roasting appliance company Ronco says, "set it and forget it." For a long time cars did not have telescoping steering wheels and we were doing just fine without it.

I mean, if you'll use it many times a month, then I can see how it'd be a big problem. Are you worried about resale value because it doesn't have that feature.. or..?

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you use it? Is it that much of a problem? Usually, you set the wheel and thats it. Or as that roasting appliance company Ronco says, "set it and forget it." For a long time cars did not have telescoping steering wheels and we were doing just fine without it.

I mean, if you'll use it many times a month, then I can see how it'd be a big problem. Are you worried about resale value because it doesn't have that feature.. or..?
No actually, I am tall and usually set the seat all the way back. Without the telescoping wheel it forces me to reach for the wheel or just grip the bottom of the wheel.

It just surprises me that the Genesis of any level would not have the telescoping wheel.

Otherwise I really liked the car but this is a deal killer, unfortunately.

·
Registered
564 Posts
No actually, I am tall and usually set the seat all the way back. Without the telescoping wheel it forces me to reach for the wheel or just grip the bottom of the wheel.

It just surprises me that the Genesis of any level would not have the telescoping wheel.

Otherwise I really liked the car but this is a deal killer, unfortunately.
This has been my issue with the base Genesis sedan as well. I am also very tall and have the same issue. It makes absolutely no sense that my 2011 Sonata GLS has a tilt and telescoping wheel, yet the Genesis has only tilt. I object to having to add a $4,400 option package onto a base car just get the telescoping wheel. Granted, a 2013 Genesis 3.8 sedan with the Premium package can be had right now for about $32,000 (which is $8,000 off of sticker) but it is still the principle of the matter. I don't want the sunroof, power rear sunshade, navigation, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts