Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now it appears to be sitting on the bump stops. I have no MIL's in the car, but the front end just wont come up to ride height. Can't even hear the compressor. The rear seems just fine. I did notice that the ride height button no longer works. Everything was fine yesterday, I got home from work and while getting the kids out I could tell the car was lowering but didnt think much of it. When I came out this morning to go to work the front end was on the ground. Any have experience with this? Cars only got 40k but my warranty expired 4 months ago :frown:

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Jack up the front end, get the weight off the front wheels.
I don't think the compressor can raise the front when it's that low.

·
Registered
42 Posts
seniorredhat, please let us know when you find out what happened. That way we all can benefit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I tried EQUUStrian's idea. No change. Was almost like the compressor didn't want to run. I dunno, maybe the height sensors were stopping it? Put the car all the way back down and the compressor kicked on and I could see the car trying to go up ever so slightly, but the compressor eventually kicked off and there was no change in height.

I did all I could before the dealer. Fuses, relays, battery reset. Never owning a vehicle equipped with air ride, I was hesitant to start poking around the system in fear of doing more damage. I got it to the dealer this past monday. They emailed me last night and said:

TECHNICIAN DIAGNOSIS

DIAGNOSIS FOUND BOTH FRONT AIR SPRINGS LEAKING OUT ALL THE AIR NOT HOLDING AIR PRESSURE NEEDS BOTH FRONT AIR SPRINGS AND TO RECALIBRATE SYSTEM

To the tune of around $4,200. That's almost a quarter of what I paid for the car. My warranty expired 6 months ago. Great.
I find it very odd that both front air springs went out at the exact same time. Is there a common piece for the front that could have possibly failed? With that said I've found air springs online for around $600 a pair. Is this something I could tackle in my garage? I did notice that manual says the first time airfill needs to be done manually. The air filler nozzle appears to just be a threaded fitting. Can I put a schrader valve on it and air it that way after spring replacement?
Again I'm new to air suspensions and am not even sure if doing this is feasible without some kind of proprietary equipment. One things for sure, I don't want to drop that much money for dealer work.

Any helps appreciated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry for the bad news. I had to replace the rear air springs, that was over $2,000 at the dealership. Only one spring was bad, but they insisted that both had to be replaced.

In my case, I bought a "new" oem replacement air spring from a salvage yard and had a repair shop install it. Only took an hour and everything was great. About 4 miles later, I lost my rear suspension. Back to the shop. The "new" air spring was apparently defective and bowed out and rubbed against the rear axle until it melted a hole in it.

So, giving up, I put on the old air spring back on and took it too the dealer to get it fixed.

If the "new'' air spring was not defective, I would have gotten away with only a $400 repair...I think.

I have seen the rebuilt air bag front strut at rebuildmastertech.com with a lifetime warranty. I could not find any for the rear springs and you pretty much have to buy new ones from Hyundai, there are no aftermarket ones that I could find.

In addition to the dealer pricing on parts, the job took 7 labor hours. The Hyundai procedure is much more exhaustive using the Hyundai GDS computer system to fill, test, diagnose and calibrate the system.

Here is the procedure.

I don't know if it must be done at the dealer. I thought after my first repair that I should have taken it to a Mercedes or Porsche specialized repair shop, since Mercedes have the dropping problem and I think they use similar components...or to say, Hyundai may have copied theirs. The air bags are made by Continental in Germany.

I bought my car used and it had the lowering problem but always came back up when starting the car. Then one day it would not got into "high" mode, so I knew I had to do something. I will say, after the dealer repair, the suspension is 100% without any dropping.

Maybe we will get a tech that can give us more insight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright so it's been almost month since my car decided to go lowrider. I just got a call from the shop and they said she's all better and ready to be picked up.

How I got here....
Car went low.
Took to Hyundai, warranty denied, diagnosis...two new front air struts needed, no further info provided.

Second opinion from dealership I bought it from, diagnosis...solenoid issue, unable to do diagnose further due to lack of proper equipment, but air struts were fine.

Third opinion from seemingly reputable local service shop chain, diagnosis... Front passenger side air strut leaking. Struts are plumbed in series to equalize pressure between struts, if air leaks out of one the other will leak down as well. Wasn't necessarily what I wanted to hear but the explanation they gave me made sense. They do a ton of work on mercedes and range rover air suspensions with much success so I told them to go ahead and replace. They used remans from the link Stoic101 provided (thanks) and are providing a full 2 year warranty for less than half of what Hyundai wanted. They called this morning and said shes riding normal and is ready to go!

As much as I love this car, this whole ordeal has kinda spooked me. I kinda just want to go back to a simple truck. :mellow:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 equus and i have the same problem, on morning i woke up redy to go to work and my car is low in the front. i took it to my mechanic and can not find the problem. we try a difrent mechanic and says the computer lost the programing , is that posible ? compressor dont run bur they say is good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a kit from Struck master their located in North Carolina The front air struts on my car when bad though of replacing them with OEM having only 40k on the car but have a friend with the same car only the Ultimate package he has just over 120k of highway miles and both front and rear have give him problems first time $2500 at dealer, plus a tow bill from 2 states away and it's still not right so we both bought the kit he's is having it installed and I'm going to do it myself I'll let you know how it goes. But looks to be a great kit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Struts are plumbed in series to equalize pressure between struts, if air leaks out of one the other will leak down as well.
The air system pressure is controlled by the suspension valve block. It controls each strut individually. So, I don't believe this statement above is accurate. A lot of times it is this valve block that goes bad from dried out O rings. Either way 1 bad strut will not be a cause to replace both struts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a kit from Struck master their located in North Carolina The front air struts on my car when bad though of replacing them with OEM having only 40k on the car but have a friend with the same car only the Ultimate package he has just over 120k of highway miles and both front and rear have give him problems first time $2500 at dealer, plus a tow bill from 2 states away and it's still not right so we both bought the kit he's is having it installed and I'm going to do it myself I'll let you know how it goes. But looks to be a great kit.
How did the kit go and how hard was it to install?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The air system pressure is controlled by the suspension valve block. It controls each strut individually. So, I don't believe this statement above is accurate. A lot of times it is this valve block that goes bad from dried out O rings. Either way 1 bad strut will not be a cause to replace both struts.
I am new to the forum. In my 2012 Hyundai Equus, the rear air springs have gone out. I had both of them replaced. 4 days later they failed again. When they failed I heard a fairly loud pop like a .22 Calibur pistol and both rear springs deflated quickly. Back in the shop. Replaced one of the air springs, 4 days later another loud pop and both springs are down. The two seem to be related because both go down at the same time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts