Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are soon to close on the purchase of a new 2013 Santa Fe Sport (pending search for preferred colour) and were quoted $2275 for 8yr/160,000 km warranty and $1875 on 7yr/140,000 km warranty. Does this sound like a reasonable amount for 'peace of mind' based on anyone's prior purchase of warranty? We are in the Ottawa area. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm in southern Ontario as well, and no, that does not sound good!
#1) if you want the ext warranty, they are negotiable... Don't take the price given to you, there's probably $2-300 wiggle room easily.

#2) everyone has a different opinion, but I used to work at a dealership, and I don't believe in them.... If you take care of your SFS, you shouldn't have a repair bill more then $2,000 in the first few years....

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm in southern Ontario as well, and no, that does not sound good!
#1) if you want the ext warranty, they are negotiable... Don't take the price given to you, there's probably $2-300 wiggle room easily.

#2) everyone has a different opinion, but I used to work at a dealership, and I don't believe in them.... If you take care of your SFS, you shouldn't have a repair bill more then $2,000 in the first few years....

Just my 2 cents
They knocked $1000 off of mine when I purchased it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
We are soon to close on the purchase of a new 2013 Santa Fe Sport (pending search for preferred colour) and were quoted $2275 for 8yr/160,000 km warranty and $1875 on 7yr/140,000 km warranty. Does this sound like a reasonable amount for 'peace of mind' based on anyone's prior purchase of warranty? We are in the Ottawa area. Thank you in advance!
If you want it for the piece of mind then by all means get it. My rule of thumb is pretty simple. Just keeps saying no I can't spend that much, or no it's to expensive, or just plain no. Just
keep saying no until they stop making you counter offers. Once they stop offering better deals then you found their bottom price and you can no decide if the piece of mind is worth the price (keep an eye on any deductibles).

For me I did end up going with the 10yr / 100,000 mile warranty and a 5 year maintenance package. I would have to do the math but on both of them I paid somewhere around 1/3 of the original price.

·
Registered
223 Posts
How long do expect to keep the vehicle?

I would not purchase the warranty at any price especially if keeping the vehicle 5 years or less.

·
Registered
378 Posts
There is lots of info regarding extended warranties on the internet. Read up on them as a lot of them are nothing more than a money grab by the dealer.
How long do you plan on owning the vehicle? If you are considering make sure you read the fine print as a lot of them just duplicate what you are already getting.

Five years bumper to bumper is more than adequate. B)

·
Banned
532 Posts
Take the money, set it aside in your savings account or a separate account if your easily tempted and let it SIT. In the end, If you have a repair you're in good shape, if not you have the money not the dealer and a start for your next vehicle.

This has worked for us for many years, when we bought one of our other vehicles lets just say we paid cash and the closer looked stunned when we told him where the dollars came from ........... he didn't offer us the extended warranty.:thumbsup:

First time my wife had fun buying a car.....:clap:

·
Registered
181 Posts
How long do you plan on owning the vehicle?
This is a very good point, if you don't plan on keeping the car longer than the factory warning do not get the extended warranty.

Keep an I on the warranty on the NAV system, in the US it's only 3/36000. It is one of the single most expensive parts in the car and might be the only one that you repetitively poke with your finger.

·
Registered
220 Posts
we got the 7yr 140K one, got a few hundred off reg price, we may or may not keep past five years A and B if we sell after 5yrs we will have a good selling point (warranty remaining) another thing to note, the road side assistance is also extended to the 7yrs vs normal 3yrs

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am not one to buy extended warranties but in this case I chose to take the 8 year 160k warranty for peace of mind mostly.

I have the 2T SE. Has almost everything except the nav. I keep cars until the doors fall off. I do believe the quality will be good. I consider all the computers, sensors, GDI, Turbo etc that could have an issue.
As pointed out by others it may not be the good financial decision but I am happy to know almost everything will be taken care of.
Additionally ;roadside is extended from 3 years to 8 years and a couple of other perks so I am happy with my decision.

·
Registered
76 Posts
time will tell

I plan on keeping the Santa Fe for a while, and with the Nav screen and other electronics I decided to go with the extended warranty. Somehow I fell for the price being added to the monthly payment, instead of the outright cost. I know better, it's not my first rodeo, but I was in a stupid hurry and bought it.
On my F150 supercrew, there was another Ford dealer selling them on the internet for half of what my dealer was asking. Still, it probably didn't pay for itself in the long run.
The one warranty that did was on my Dodge Dakota. Problems started even before the original warranty was out and continued to 90K when I sold the truck. It was four years old and the warranty was transferable, which got the new owner a new top end on the engine. So that one was worth it, but you never know. I think mechanically cars are better made than ever, it's the myriad electronic systems that give me concerns after hundreds of bumps and knocks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks!

Thank you very much for all of your input/thoughts on warranty - the deal we were working on has almost 'fell through' based on colour preference, but we have found another dealer in town who 'supposedly' has what we want so am hoping things work out.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The dealer didn't offer to locate the vehicle you want from another dealer that had it? Some dealerships charge a $200 location fee; my dealer waivered the cost to find the vehicle I wanted.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I plan on keeping the Santa Fe for a while, and with the Nav screen and other electronics I decided to go with the extended warranty. Somehow I fell for the price being added to the monthly payment, instead of the outright cost. I know better, it's not my first rodeo, but I was in a stupid hurry and bought it.
On my F150 supercrew, there was another Ford dealer selling them on the internet for half of what my dealer was asking. Still, it probably didn't pay for itself in the long run.
The one warranty that did was on my Dodge Dakota. Problems started even before the original warranty was out and continued to 90K when I sold the truck. It was four years old and the warranty was transferable, which got the new owner a new top end on the engine. So that one was worth it, but you never know. I think mechanically cars are better made than ever, it's the myriad electronic systems that give me concerns after hundreds of bumps and knocks.
That's what you get for buying a dodge.

Lurn 2 Spel

·
Registered
181 Posts
buying ext warranty doesn't mean everything is covered . things like battery and radio remain the same
I guess it depends where you live because here in the US the extended warranty covers radio / nav system 10/100000 instead of the normal 3/36000.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts