Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

I've got an unusual problem with my 2013 Elantra. It has been serviced about a month ago and all was well. I left my car sitting for a week, parked inside in an unheated garage, after driving in the rain. When I came back, I started it, let it run for a few seconds (less than 30) then shut it off.

When I then pushed the door lock button on the key fob to lock the door, I noticed the horn sounded muffled and was a lot quieter than usual. Still, the door locked and lights flashed.

When I went back about 24 hours later, and tried to start the car, it wouldn't start. The engined cranked, but would not catch. Electric seemed to work fine.

I tried a few more times, pushed the gas to the floor, and it eventually started. I drove it for 30 minutes or so and it ran fine. I shut it off for 30 min, and then started it up again no problem. And the weird thing was, when I went to lock the door, the sound the horn makes when you lock the door sounded normal.

My questions are this:
1) did shutting it off after one minute the first time make it unable to start the second time?
2) are they muffled horn sound and the inability to start related?
3) do I need to bring it in for service?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Your neighbors must be glad of the muffled horn. There is a setting in the menus to turn off the horn beep when you lock the car. If you need confirmation that the car is locked, just turn your head & watch for the lights flashing. If I'm not mistaken, this is the default setting, at least in Canada. The less noise pollution the better. The beep is only there to annoy the neighbors. B)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I turned my locking horn off the day I bought the car, couldn't stand that stupid road-runner "beep"

Seems like you might have just witnessed a glitch, I had my car stall out backing out of my driveway and would not restart for a few minutes, happened months ago, and no symptoms of anything like that have happened since.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Sounds like your battery discharged while sitting. The cold weather will do that. When you started it, that took the majority of what current was left in the battery. The short time you ran the engine, did no help in charging the battery. When you locked the doors and the horn sounded weak, it was from low voltage to the horn. If you are going to park for a week or so, invest in a trickle charger if you don't already have one. That will maintain the battery for you.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Sounds like your battery discharged while sitting. The cold weather will do that. When you started it, that took the majority of what current was left in the battery. The short time you ran the engine, did no help in charging the battery. When you locked the doors and the horn sounded weak, it was from low voltage to the horn. If you are going to park for a week or so, invest in a trickle charger if you don't already have one. That will maintain the battery for you.
Yes or flip the switch in the interior fuse panel to off.

·
22,788 Posts
Okay, guys. Kind of on the same topic line: Ever heard of this technique/trick? It requires turning on your headlights when getting into the car for 8-10 seconds and turning then off. The author of that statement claimed that this step energized the battery and resuted in a faster start in the winter time. ^_^

·
Registered
560 Posts
Okay, guys. Kind of on the same topic line: Ever heard of this technique/trick? It requires turning on your headlights when getting into the car for 8-10 seconds and turning then off. The author of that statement claimed that this step energized the battery and resuted in a faster start in the winter time. ^_^
What kind of witchcraft is this??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Use a trickle charger for a car that will sit over a week? That seems quite excessive. I can leave my Jeep or my Ram parked for an entire New England winter and it will start right up. If the battery is crapping out after a week, it is either near death, your charging system is shot, or something is draining the battery while it is parked.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
:banghead: I must say that is a new one. Where did you hear this?

·
22,788 Posts
It was on one of those Saturday morning auto shows I stumbled upon while giving Ingrid a bath. The guest was a local auto tech professor over at the community college. If he was pulling my leg, he was doing it to the entire audience that day. (Maybe he supplemented his teaching salary as a part-time battery salesman.) It wouldn't be the first time I've listened to somebody that the station claimed to be an "expert."

Definition of an "expert": A two-syllable word comprising of, and defined as, "Ex" (has-been) and "spurt" (a drip off a high pressure line). FWIW. :wink2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts