Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Having the same problem on my 2012 Elantra. Car will crank (as in the starter is trying to turn the engine over) but the car will not start. It sounds like there just isn't any fuel getting to the engine. Then the next day it starts right up. Car is at dealer now, but they can't reproduce it. If it matters, the problem started one night after a rain.
Have them check/clean/secure the fuel pump ground. There's been issues with that.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have had a similar issue recently with my 2013 Elantra GLS, it has a Push-Start.

It only happens occasionally, I press the Brake, push the button - it keeps cranking and feels like things are falling apart. I turn it off, then I floor the accelerator pedal and push the button, then it starts after 2 tries.

Took it to the dealer, after inspecting they said battery is fine and there is an issue with the fuel pump - so they are replacing it today.

Also, the Service Advisor gave me a practical suggestion that I must make a habit of re-fueling the car when it is Half-full, rather than waiting for the tank to empty till the 2nd last bar, or waiting for the yellow light to come on, because when we do that we are just gathering dirt in the fuel pump, so it's always better to make it's life longer that we re-fuel when it's half-full.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem

I have had the exact same problem with my 2012 elantra. It has been in the shop 3 times for the problem and they cannot tell me what the problem is. Please let me know if they found a solution!
What I mean by "not starting" is I put the key in the ignition and turn the key and the engine does not fire. It seems like it wants to make the connection but can't fully fire up. The dash board lights illuminate and radio, wipers, and exterior lights work. Does that help?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My elantra didn't atart this morning. Tried 3 times then it started. After work couldn't get it started. Called AAA. Jumped it . Nothing immediately. He played around with the key wiping it off and finally started. Off to the dealership to
Tomorrow. Dealer said "hope we can replicate it". Hmmmm

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2011 Elantra since new. What I do is to turn the key to on position and wait until the fuel pump stop priming and then switch to the start position and it fire up with no problem. I think the problem could be that the pump is not building enough pressure in time to start.

·
22,788 Posts
My elantra didn't atart this morning. Tried 3 times then it started. After work couldn't get it started. Called AAA. Jumped it . Nothing immediately. He played around with the key wiping it off and finally started. Off to the dealership to
Tomorrow. Dealer said "hope we can replicate it". Hmmmm
:00000732:Welcome to the forums, Denise. Let us know what Mr. Wizard says when you take it in. I'm interested in finding out.

They love that word "replicate." And, understandably, it does help the technician to experience what you're describing. All too often, they can't. So, like that old song of the same title, out comes those Three Little Words. And they aren't "I Love You." :grin: It's: "No Problem Found." :eek:

Jose50 may be on to an idea. I'll defer to others to chime in to see if they have had similar occurrences.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 Elantra will not start

Bought an Elantra 2013 Limited pushbutton start... in the last 2 weeks it has not started 4 days...had it to the dealer and they said there was nothing wrong...this morning it wouldn'd start again...we have to wiggle the steering wheel or the stick shift and it will start. Getting very frustrated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Getting frustrated!

Since I have purchased 2013 Elantra GT (without the Push Button start)...my car wouldn't start 3 times (first time, a year ago, second time one 6 wks ago and third time last week). The latest news is that I am flooding the engine..each time it was first thing in the morning and it was NOT cold...parked in the garage. They couldn't find a solution. Just couple days ago, I was told there is an update and suggested for me to use mid-grade fuel from now on! I said that is not the solution for a fuel efficient car!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, does any one have a 2013 Hyundai Elantra that will sometimes not start . But after s few attempts it will turn over??
Yes I do. It is inconsistent and I found out about it from the AAA truck. Took it to a Hyundai dealer and they threy up their arms and said it was working now and to have it towed when it was not. I called service manager but he did not call back. I think I will have to be the pit bull on this one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, does any one have a 2013 Hyundai Elantra that will sometimes not start . But after s few attempts it will turn over??
I had a similar issue with my 2013 Elantra GLS (no push button start). When I turn the key, nothing happens. What I noticed is that when the car does not start, the parking light (P) next to to shifter is not turned "on". I was able to start it after playing with the shifter and turning on and off the ignition key and after the "P" light came on.

When I took it to the dealer, they did not find any issue. However, they did install the "automatic transaxle shift level clip" because of a recall. They thought that my problem might have been related to this. I have to wait and see if the problem occurs again...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bad fuel pump

MY 2013 elantra limited with 70k miles has done the exact thing. It was blowing the fuse to the fuel pump. The fuel pump had to be replaced, with the diagnostic fee it was $572.

·
Registered
1 Posts
we just started having the same problem. Car worked fine all day then went shopping and the car would not start. Left it there over night( not the smartest thing to do) and this morning it started (took off the gas cap than put it back on) I. used it this morning, no problem, than later in the day it wouldn't start again. I remove the gas cap and it started. WOULD NOT BUY THIS CAR AGAIN. NEXT CAR I BUY, I WILL DO TONS OF RESEARCH.

·
Registered
15 Posts
we just started having the same problem. Car worked fine all day then went shopping and the car would not start. Left it there over night( not the smartest thing to do) and this morning it started (took off the gas cap than put it back on) I. used it this morning, no problem, than later in the day it wouldn't start again. I remove the gas cap and it started. WOULD NOT BUY THIS CAR AGAIN. NEXT CAR I BUY, I WILL DO TONS OF RESEARCH.
I get the frustration and will probably think twice about another Hyundai, but for different reasons. Originally the dealership had late hours for service which allowed me to get in after work for maintenance. That's no longer on the table. I also wanted a car with high fuel efficiency, and this is the furthest thing from it. Living in the Hudson Valley area, we have a lot of elevation changes and I struggle to get high-20's. Not that I thought I would get 40mpg anyway, but I was getting low 30's in my Saab 9-3.

On a side note, I am here because my car is DOA in the driveway and I am trying to find a solution before calling the tow truck. This is not my problem, so on to the next item! (Mine has power from the battery, but will not engage the starter. I have had almost all of these issues at one time. Nothing can be found but has been towed from my driveway twice. Getting close to that 60K mark on my 2012, so I will be asking them to check the fuel pump this time, though I would think my problem lies in the starter/PN switch or whatever.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that these little issues will be found in all cars. I would much rather deal with this than the constant O2 sensor issues I had with two Fords where the only way to pass inspection was to buy another new O2 sensor just to have it go back soon after. All companies have their issues. I have had great cars, but there are too many variables for them all to be perfect.

·
Registered
194 Posts
That's a hasty and unreasonable reaction based on that one issue you are having. You should find out what is going on with *your car.* The Elantras have a long record for reliability. That said, defects, failures, and poor design in some areas, affect all cars, even the known reliable ones.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Irecently took mine in to the dealership with the problem of the car not starting. Press the start button, revs go up to ~1k then drop down to 0. All electronics remained on, it's just the engine wasn't running.
Dealer kept it overnight, replicated the problem, got the fault code and saw that it had a TSB linked to it (which they previously didn't know about). One software update later and I have my car back,. No more troubles as of yet. I was also told of another software update in the works frpm Hyundai which might address a low idle on hot-start which I regularly come across.

·
Banned
465 Posts
is this a 2016?, if so, I can certainly understand your frustration, just take it in for a look, could be something simple, as far as research goes, I did do a ton, and nothing in the class since 2010 was better then the Elantra, I think long term you'll be glad you got the car you did - Eddie

·
Banned
465 Posts
Irecently took mine in to the dealership with the problem of the car not starting. Press the start button, revs go up to ~1k then drop down to 0. All electronics remained on, it's just the engine wasn't running.
Dealer kept it overnight, replicated the problem, got the fault code and saw that it had a TSB linked to it (which they previously didn't know about). One software update later and I have my car back,. No more troubles as of yet. I was also told of another software update in the works frpm Hyundai which might address a low idle on hot-start which I regularly come across.
how much are these updates costing you, OR are they covered?, be careful any Hot start issue could be problematic especially if you stop for gas during a long trip. I'd remember to check often about that update. - Eddie

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
how much are these updates costing you, OR are they covered?, be careful any Hot start issue could be problematic especially if you stop for gas during a long trip. I'd remember to check often about that update. - Eddie
If it is a TSB they should be covering it, right?

21 - 40 of 73 Posts