Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folks. back in march i bought a 2013 elantra limited and it didn't come with a spare tire. i find this kind of odd. yes i know it's been almost 6 months and i should've hit up my dealership about this already.

anyway. i just wanted to ask you guys. did your elantras come with a spare tire? or is this completely normal with hyundais? TIA!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nope. I got the limited model and it came with a temp flat-repair kit where the spare should be. Assuming your tire doesn't shred you should be able to make it to the nearest tire shop or dealership in 50 miles or less.

Some people bought their own spares and put it in the trunk (Far as I know it can fit full size)

·
22,792 Posts
I believe the Canadian units come with the spare, jack, etc. U.S. models got the aerosol can of sealant and a 12-v air pump.

If you're good, maybe Santa will get you one for Christmas. :grin:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine came with the same 15'' rim as spare, Middle east!!!! also here the one's with 16'' rims come with the same spare.... But we don't have the 17'' rims :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
hey folks. back in march i bought a 2013 elantra limited and it didn't come with a spare tire. i find this kind of odd. yes i know it's been almost 6 months and i should've hit up my dealership about this already.

anyway. i just wanted to ask you guys. did your elantras come with a spare tire? or is this completely normal with hyundais? TIA!
No spare tire to increase MPG, that is the purpose from Hyundai. They tried to eliminate extra weight.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Personally, I would leave well enough alone. If it doesn't have a spare it will reduce the temptation to change it beside the road which might result in the driver getting killed. Just call for emergency help.

Obviously the kit will only work for those instances where there is a slow leak. A blowout or as in my case on another new car (with only 1,800 miles) I ran over some road debris and put a 3/4 inch hole right in the middle of the tread and it went flat in 300 feet. In that case I did change the tire but it was on the right side of the car where it was safe to do so and the road had clear visibility.

And besides, the jacks provided are a joke. It just isn't worth taking a chance. Better to walk to get help if necessary than get killed on a busy highway. The graveyards are filled with such people, unfortunately. What's the worse than can happen?. The car might get stolen or wrecked. Unlikely but that's what insurance is for anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got a spare tire kit -- jack and tools, 15" wheel and donut tire mounted to it -- for about $240 shipped from Amazon. Some come with the tire unmounted, so read the description carefully. There's room in the wheel well for the spare kit, flat repair kit and jumper cables. I think the flat repair kit is still useful to have around, because now you have a powered tire pump to carry on the road.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Just call for emergency help.
I agree with that except........none of the road plans I'm familiar with will provide you with a spare tire if you don't already have one.

The only tire problems I've had in 50 years of driving have been at night, Sunday or holiday and a LONG way from home.......in which case the truck will take you somewhere and you sit there until the tire stores open the next morning.

I got a donut spare. It's a compromise.
If I was on the road a lot, it would be a full size one.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I bought the donut kit from Hyundai over a junkyard tire and kit mainly because I'm an anal SOB and want a shiny new wheel, tire and tool kit in my shiny new car. :D

That being said, however, the last time I've ever had to use one of my spares was in 2006 but I like the reassurance as I often find myself in the middle of nowhere with little/no cell service.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I bought the donut kit from Hyundai over a junkyard tire and kit mainly because I'm an anal SOB and want a shiny new wheel, tire and tool kit in my shiny new car. :D

That being said, however, the last time I've ever had to use one of my spares was in 2006 but I like the reassurance as I often find myself in the middle of nowhere with little/no cell service.
That's a good point. I think a lot depends on where you drive a lot. If you find yourself staying within city areas often, not having a spare is okay. But like you said, if you often drive out in the middle of nowhere, having a spare just eases the mind. I don't have one in mine, and I hated the idea of it first. But I guess that's just how it is these days in cars like this.

On that note, I should probably examine the kit that I have so I know how to use if I ever need to.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I agree with that except........none of the road plans I'm familiar with will provide you with a spare tire if you don't already have one.

The only tire problems I've had in 50 years of driving have been at night, Sunday or holiday and a LONG way from home.......in which case the truck will take you somewhere and you sit there until the tire stores open the next morning.

I got a donut spare. It's a compromise.
If I was on the road a lot, it would be a full size one.
You make a good point about waiting until the tire stores open the next morning. This is obviously not what one hopes for. However, it is also true that as you while your way in a local hotel, you are safe from being run over by some drunk or someone who doesn't see you changing a tire. Given the choice I'd rather be alive.

Doesn't the Blue Link connect to road service? I've not used it. That would lock onto a satellite and not be dependent on a cell tower would it not? If I am mistaken, please correct me.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You make a good point about waiting until the tire stores open the next morning. This is obviously not what one hopes for. However, it is also true that as you while your way in a local hotel, you are safe from being run over by some drunk or someone who doesn't see you changing a tire. Given the choice I'd rather be alive.

Doesn't the Blue Link connect to road service? I've not used it. That would lock onto a satellite and not be dependent on a cell tower would it not? If I am mistaken, please correct me.
Elantra doesn't come with Blue Link. Inquired about it and it's not available. But somehow on the Elantra GT it's available. Makes no sense to me.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Probably not.
The GM plan (OnStar) uses standard cellphone technology.
When my dad's 2004 Acura TL got totaled in late 2006, he went to look at another TL and wound up driving the RL instead. The RL he test drove was an '06 demo and still had the OnStar buttons on the roof console. Despite that, Acura dropped their contract with OnStar and the 2007 RL he wound up buying does not have the OnStar buttons although the blank panel where the buttons would be is still there.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I feel pretty comfortable without a spare, considering I have never, ever mounted one. In all my years of driving, I've had many punctures from nails and such, but never had a blowout, or shredded a tire so as to make it unusable or to strand me anywhere. To me it's a testament to the construction (and my competence as a driver). Improperly inflated tires, or old tires (learn to read the tire age code) are the most common causes for failure, barring a road hazard. I check my pressure at each fill up. It takes all of 2 minutes.

I'm willing to bet bluelink will be available across the board soon.
From the GT manual...

The system uses an enhanced cellular network, with automatic roaming, that
optimizes connections and prioritizes emergency requests.

·
22,792 Posts
I check my pressure at each fill up. It takes all of 2 minutes.
Smartest advice I've read today! When you get to be "really" old, like me, it takes 3 minutes. One minute to check them, 2 minutes for the blood to get back up to your brain. ;)

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I feel pretty comfortable without a spare, considering I have never, ever mounted one. In all my years of driving, I've had many punctures from nails and such, but never had a blowout, or shredded a tire so as to make it unusable or to strand me anywhere. To me it's a testament to the construction (and my competence as a driver). Improperly inflated tires, or old tires (learn to read the tire age code) are the most common causes for failure, barring a road hazard. I check my pressure at each fill up. It takes all of 2 minutes.

I'm willing to bet bluelink will be available across the board soon.
From the GT manual...

The system uses an enhanced cellular network, with automatic roaming, that
optimizes connections and prioritizes emergency requests.
Though I did a makeup kit w/ a donut spare, I never had once used the spare tire on any of my cars. To point out, I was driving since the mid 70s. Only spare I ever recall using was to a company truck because of the lack of threads, cheap boss.

BTW, my kit cost me less $70 comprised of an unused tire (from a yard), new jack, wrench and tire chocks.

Reminder for all, remember to check the spare's pressure as well. I've known a few to have spares completely flat.

Smartest advice I've read today! When you get to be "really" old, like me, it takes 3 minutes. One minute to check them, 2 minutes for the blood to get back up to your brain. ;)
Call it a workout rewarded with something nice and cold.

·
22,792 Posts
Reminder for all, remember to check the spare's pressure as well.

Call it a workout rewarded with something nice and cold.
My kind of workout: 12 ounce curls! Here's to you, Curtis! :beer:

1 - 20 of 91 Posts