Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2013 Elantra and I'm looking for a spare tire. The tire repair kit that came with the car is a weak point...

I talked to the new car salesperson about a spare tire kit, but after some very heated negotiations on the price of the car, the spare tire talk disappeared - I did get my price for the car, though.

Does anyone know about the compatibility of other Hyundai spare tires? Maybe from older Hyundai vehicles. Or from other manufacturers. I was planning a trip to the local Pick-A-Part to find a donut spare.

Another option was to just buy a standard size wheel/tire. Is there that much of a weight difference between a donut spare and a standard size wheel/tire? Would a standard wheel/tire fit into the spare tire well in the trunk?

Also, any recommendations on a lightweight, compact jack that will fit into the spare tire well? The stock Hyundai jack doesn't look too stable... Thanks!

·
Registered
639 Posts
There are numerous threads on this subject if you do a search.

Basically all of the options you asked about are covered, and are doable.

I bought the Hyundai OEM tire kit (jack, wheel, etc.) off AMAZON and the mini-spare tire itself is available on ebay or from Discount Tire or possibly other vendors besides the dealer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Go to a junk yard, ask for a spare/jack set off of a '03-'10 or so Altima. That's what I did. When I did the calculation, the overall tire/rim diameter of the Hyundai OEM spare is about 25mm smaller than the regular 16" rim/tire on my GLS, and the Altima's spare came about 10mm larger. Hub size/bolt pattern are the same. Fitted it to be sure. All for US $25. Other models fit too. Do some research.

Marry Christmas!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks vlado_t... I think the spare tire kit from Hyundai comes with a 15 inch rim. A T125/80R15 or T125/80D15 tire will fit on the stock spare rim.

I'll check the pick-a-part yards for Altima spare tire rims...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I couldnt imagine buying a jack to fit the car. Jacks are universal and easy to find, I do however agree with purchasing a spare at a junk yard vs a dealer. And I wouldnt ever consider buying a doughnut spare, they are worthless. If your spending the $$ buy a normal size rim and tire. You wont be sorry if you ever need to use it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I always thought those donut spares were unsafe. I'd like to use a regular size tire/rim for the spare, but I'm not sure if it would fit in the spare tire well in the trunk. I'll have to do some measuring...

It's seems all the Hyundai stock jacks are really light duty. Maybe Harbor Freight has a good deal on a heavy duty bottle jack... Thanks!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I bought oem 17" alloys for my 2013 Elantra Ltd, and the tire fits in the trunk well without a problem. I also bought a jack from Harbor Frieght along with a folding lug nut wrench. Had to make a holddown for the spare tire, no problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Does anyone know the offset of the 16" GLS wheels? is it 16x6 +53?

I have a spare 17" 17x8 +40 5x114 5zigen wheel, and a couple 225/45/17 tires in my garage. Just so happens to be 0.1" taller than the factory tire set up, which I could live with on a spare.

I could just test fit the sucker with no tire to see the clearance, but I'm too lazy. Lol. Has anyone run a wheel set up like this?

If I have the factory offset I could punch it in my wheel calculator

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'd like to use a regular size tire/rim for the spare, but I'm not sure if it would fit in the spare tire well in the trunk.
Sure will! It doesn't really matter if it is a 15, 16 or 17 inch Elantra tire, they are all about the same diameter. The spare tire well in the trunk holds a full size spare just fine. Think about it, where would you put your flat when you mount a donut spare before it is repaired. Here is my solution:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-md-2011-elantra/158726-full-size-spare-budget-115-a.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts