Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I bought my 2013 Elantra Limita new in Oct 2012. I love most of the car but the few things I hate about it after driving it for a little over a year is about to make me sell it or trade it in. These few items drive me bonkers, and one of them is so significant it's a major road hazard. Items I'd like help with, if possible, from most severe to least:

DEFROSTER AUTOMATICALLY TURNING ON
OMG, why does it do this? I realize the car is trying to help me by noticing a high level of humidity, but this problem is a MAJOR ROAD HAZARD for me. I have an ultra-sensitive eye condition where my eyes dry out quickly when fans or flowing air is blowing into my face. This causes my eyes to dry out and I have severe vision problems, to where I can't see!!

When I turn the blower vents to anywhere other than the front windshield the car automatically turns it back to the front defroster (windshield), no matter how many times I turn the blower to my feet or to other area. I live in a cold climate and need to warm up the car almost every day in the winter but I can't even turn on the **** heat because this stupid car always turns the front windshield blower on. Yep, I have to drive without heat due to this. It's better than driving without vision!!

Please tell me there's a setting I can set to turn this moronic option off.

EXTREME INTERIOR CONDENSATION
The above problem wouldn't be too bad if the windows in this car weren't always foggy. It happens more in the winter than in the summer, but my windows fog up VERY quickly, and as I said above, this triggers my blower vent to change to the front windshield. Many times in the winter I enter my car and the windshield is frozen, ... on the inside!! This isn't normal. It's never happened in any other car I've had, not even old cars from the 60s.

NAVIGATION CONFIRMATION

I shouldn't have to accept a confirmation every time I start on my car. Holy **** is this annoying! I know, legal problems require this acknowledgement. I don't care, it drives me crazy. Another super-annoying problem that occurs several times per day.

ENDLESS BEEPS WHEN KEYS ARE OUTSIDE OF RUNNING CAR
I know the car is trying to tell me that I've taken the keys outside of the car while it's running. What does it expect me to do when I have to scrap the snow off of the car? Leave the keys inside the car? Having a key-less ignition means this feature is wasted, and also increases the likelihood of leaving the keys in the cars, unlocked of course since the car can't be locked with the keys inside. Yet another bad option.

AUTOMATIC LOCKING UNLOCKING/DOORS
Yet another feature that is supposed to help users but instead is super annoying and requires more time than had the feature not been installed. I have keyless ignition so one would presume I can keep my keys in my pocket. I often can't. To ensure my doors are locked I either have to lean way into the car while pushing my hip away from the car so the car doesn't notice the keys are "in" the car and immediately unlocks the door when I lock it with the door switch, or, I have to take my keys out of my pocket and use the button on the fob. The outside door handle button is too unreliable to use to lock the car. Half the time the doors seem to lock but instead the sound is the unlocked car unlocking the already unlocked locks. WTH??? And don't get me started on trying to lock all of the doors by quickly pushing the door handle button twice. Total crapshoot, at best.

POOR GAS MILEAGE
We know all about the false MPG ratings on this car. I bought the car with a 40mpg sticker on it. I drive like an old lady, and always have the Eco button on, and my best mpg is ~31 mpg. Most of the time its around 28. I'm aware of the reimbursement program. Doesn't matter, this is the last Hyundai I'll ever buy.

DEFAULT TIRES ARE TERRIBLE IN SNOW
The tires that came with my Limited are horrible in the snow, totally unusable. With the default low-profile high-PSI tires I can't get out of most parking spots when it snows, I can't go over 15 mph without sliding all over and most of the times any incline degree prevents me from moving. Yes, this is fixed with good snow tires. The supplied tires shouldn't be sold in snowy weather areas.

---------------

Most of the above wouldn't be issues if they had toggle options for all of these stupid "smart" features. I can't find any.

• Any chance someone has a means of enabling an expert or repairman mode to tweak some of these options?
  • How about a programmers interface to allow someone to change options? Anything, please!
Right now I plan on selling the car or trading it in. The first issue above is the deal breaker. I can't use the heater in the winter without going blind. Not good when driving. :mad:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sorry but if your eye condition is as bad as you say you should not be behind the wheel of a car.
My Sonatas windshield has condensation inside at times, so has any other car I've owned it's normal.
The heater should stay where it's set, there might be a fault somewhere if it keeps switching back to defrost windshield.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Sorry but if your eye condition is as bad as you say you should not be behind the wheel of a car.
Agreed. I'm very sensitive to bright lights but I wear sunglasses to address this. You may see me wearing my shades even on cloudy days but even though I look dorky in this regard, it helps me to see. The worst for me is when the road is wet and the sun comes out, reflecting off the surface. There have been times that, even with my shades on, I have to stop and wait for the sun to pass behind a cloud before moving on.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Man, you just have bad luck with your car =S. I can say that my MPG does reach 40 mpg on pure highway driving. If you live in an area with plenty of stops or low speed areas, you won't get that, period. Needing to confirm the navigation doesnt bother me at all. Its become habit for me to press one of 2 things, the media button, or the accept button. As for tires, everyone knows the tires that come with these cars suuuuuck. Most people are prepared to purchase new tires, and those living in snowy areas probably have a winter set sitting around somewhere.

Oh, and for the proximity locking thing, thats probably something the dealer can fix, maybe the defroster turning on as well. I only say this because 'urrything is electronic and im sure it just takes someone with a laptop to plug in and flip a switch. Just like how they can adjust if and when your vehicle locks/unlocks automatically. If you haven't already gone to the dealer, ask about these things and if you have one with good service, you'll probably get some answers.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Agreed. I'm very sensitive to bright lights but I wear sunglasses to address this. You may see me wearing my shades even on cloudy days but even though I look dorky in this regard, it helps me to see. The worst for me is when the road is wet and the sun comes out, reflecting off the surface. There have been times that, even with my shades on, I have to stop and wait for the sun to pass behind a cloud before moving on.
Polarized glasses help with glare more than regular sunglasses. You should get a loaner pair and see if this helps you at all (some weird effects though with polarized..ie. reading LCD screens can be difficult, tinted windows will have slight 'patterns', etc)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
A nice example of how having all the fancy tech options (auto climate control, keyless entry, nav system) is worth more trouble than anything else. The Elantra is well-known to provide a lot of features on the base models but I'm also thinking that the extra options are not always well designed. I have a basic GT and I love how everything is simple, functional and easy to use, but I read a lot of reports of people having issues with the nav system, auto climate, the rear dome lights not working with a sunroof, etc...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The navigation confirmation is present in every system in every make of car. Very annoying but we have no choice, another example of too many attorneys in this world.

·
Registered
343 Posts
According to the manual for my GT the automatic defogging system can be defeated.

"press the front defroster button 4 times within 2 seconds while pressing the AUTO button. The indicator of the front defroster button will blink 3 times to notify you that the system is cancelled. To use the auto defogging system again, follow the procedures mentioned above."

Hope this helps.

Geoff

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Hello Thraug, some of your issues can be addressed, I know there is a way to cancel the auto locking doors, the tires can be replaced later for new better ones, condensation inside the cabin? that's why using the AC a few minutes and dry the carpets helps a lot. If you decide to trade the car remember that the perfect car doesn't exist. You'll get other problems in a new car.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've found that if you are bothered by the defroster air in your face, lowering the sun visor will deflect the air away from you while still clearing the windshield. You also may check with the dealer to see if there's a way to re-program the system so it won't default to the defroster.

Like you, I'm on my second winter with my 2013. I also found that my stock tires were downright dangerous in the snow. (I note that you live in the snow belt of Western NY.) I bought 4 winter tires on rims last month, and they've made all the difference in the world in the snow.

The advertised fuel economy should be taken with a grain of salt. Those numbers are really only useful for comparing different vehicles. Also keep in mind that your mileage will drop in the cold weather for various reasons.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
A nice example of how having all the fancy tech options (auto climate control, keyless entry, nav system) is worth more trouble than anything else. The Elantra is well-known to provide a lot of features on the base models but I'm also thinking that the extra options are not always well designed. I have a basic GT and I love how everything is simple, functional and easy to use, but I read a lot of reports of people having issues with the nav system, auto climate, the rear dome lights not working with a sunroof, etc...
Yes I completely agree and suggest the member who started the thread go with a vehicle with manual controls and no tech options next time regardless of manufacturer. I have none of these problems with my GLS.

Polarized glasses help with glare more than regular sunglasses. You should get a loaner pair and see if this helps you at all (some weird effects though with polarized..ie. reading LCD screens can be difficult, tinted windows will have slight 'patterns', etc)
Yes Andrew I agree as I have similar sensitivity. I wear large Bolle Barracuda polarized lenses, wife calls them old man glasses.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There is a way to disable auto ac on front defrost, posted in the forum.
I think there is a setting for the auto lock.

Only 2 things I don't like about our elantra (2012 ltd).

1. The shiny chrome around the gps/radio when the sun hits it it is blinding to the eyes!

2. that the rear seat heaters don't turn off automatically when you turn the car off. Someone (kids) are forever leaving them on. The front ones turn off when the car is turned off. Lack of consistency.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Regarding you eye dryness, I have very dry eyes as well so to counter the effects of the blowing air in my eyes I either wear my sun glasses or if it's very dark I wear clear glasses (just glass). There's no way I'd drive without my defroster running and windows fogged up.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The navigation confirmation is present in every system in every make of car. Very annoying but we have no choice, another example of too many attorneys in this world.
My '08 Lexus Nav does not require me to accept warning. It goes away after a few seconds.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Makes me so happy i got my elantra in basic form. it seems every issue you are having would have been taken care of if you didn't buy the limited

-No nav
-no auto climate
-no keyless
-no limited wheels/summer tires

I feel you on the gas mileage though, but if you do look, fuelly.com has other cars with our advertised mileage also getting the same real mielage we are getting, honda, toyota etc

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Makes me so happy i got my elantra in basic form. it seems every issue you are having would have been taken care of if you didn't buy the limited

-No nav
-no auto climate
-no keyless

I feel you on the gas mileage though, but if you do look, fuelly.com has other cars with our advertised mileage also getting the same real mielage we are getting, honda, toyota etc
That's how I wanted my SE Coupe - has all the stuff I want but w/o the tech package and no A/T which I don't have a need for. Sad that the new Coupe only has an A/T :(

·
Registered
Tucson ix 2012
27 Posts

-No nav
-no auto climate
-no keyless

I´m with you, the more basic the better. Mine is so basic that it does not have the overhead map light.

^_^

1 - 20 of 28 Posts