Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone actually replaced their own backup camera in a 2013 Elantra ? I have taken off the inside liner and there really is no easy access. Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I installed a backup cam on my 13.... didn't have one originally.

As far as I know, your 13 didn't come with one either, they weren't mandatory until 14 I believe... but either way, you should just be able to press the camera to one side to essentially pop it out.. it's held in by a pressure clip type of thing so figure out which way to push it and then pop it out with a small screwdriver or something to pry it.

Should be fairly easy to get out. As for the other end, you'll have to get enough access to disconnect the camera from whatever wiring there is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually my 2013 Limited does have factory NAV & camera. I will try the exterior access and see if it does infact move to the side. Thanks !

·
Registered
245 Posts
Open trunk and remove trunk lid lining.
Disconnect the rear view camera connector(A) in first picture.
Pull down and remove the rear view camera holder(A) in second picture.
Remove the rear view camera(A) in third picture.
Good luck, I had mine replaced under warranty.

Attachments

Reactions: yelena

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 2012 Elantra Limited came with the factory back-up camera linked to the navigation screen. It has gotten progressively more and more blurry over the last few years to the point it was unusable so I decided to replace it. I ordered a new Hyundai OEM camera and replaced it a few days ago. It was super easy to do. All you have to do is open the trunk, then unscrew 8-10 clips that hold the trunk liner to the underside of the trunk lid and put it aside. You will see that the camera is held to the trunk lid by a big white plastic clip. Grab the white clip and pull it down and off. Follow the camera wire back to it's connector and pull off the connector. A small screwdriver will help unfasten it. Once disconnected, pull the camera away from the trunk lid. It was stuck and needed a little help from a screwdriver. Install the new camera by sliding the wire through the opening in the trunk lid and fastening the camera to the trunk lid on the inside with the big white plastic clip. A new clip comes with the camera. Then click in the plug to the receptacle and you're done.
I took apart the old camera and saw a lot of corrosion from road salts so on the new one I put a small bead of black silicone around the seam in the outer camera housing. Hopefully this will keep out water and keep the camera working longer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2012 Elantra Limited came with the factory back-up camera linked to the navigation screen. It has gotten progressively more and more blurry over the last few years to the point it was unusable so I decided to replace it. I ordered a new Hyundai OEM camera and replaced it a few days ago. It was super easy to do. All you have to do is open the trunk, then unscrew 8-10 clips that hold the trunk liner to the underside of the trunk lid and put it aside. You will see that the camera is held to the trunk lid by a big white plastic clip. Grab the white clip and pull it down and off. Follow the camera wire back to it's connector and pull off the connector. A small screwdriver will help unfasten it. Once disconnected, pull the camera away from the trunk lid. It was stuck and needed a little help from a screwdriver. Install the new camera by sliding the wire through the opening in the trunk lid and fastening the camera to the trunk lid on the inside with the big white plastic clip. A new clip comes with the camera. Then click in the plug to the receptacle and you're done.
I took apart the old camera and saw a lot of corrosion from road salts so on the new one I put a small bead of black silicone around the seam in the outer camera housing. Hopefully this will keep out water and keep the camera working longer.
My 2012 Elantra limited was showing a black screen when I was backing up. When I went to get my car serviced, I asked them for an estimate, and they quoted me $670. I bought the part online for about $163, followed these directions, and replaced it in about 30 minutes, give or take. Not hard at all. Thanks for the guidance!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts