Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our '13 Elantra with 67K miles seems to be drawing about 290-370 mA when everything is off, doors, hood, trunk closed or switches in the "closed" position. Sometimes it'll cycle down to 90mA but for less than a minute and it'll go right back up. This seems quite high. Has anyone encountered this issue, the only circuit inside that is drawing anything is the MEMORY 10A. I've pulled each fuse under the hood as well except the large square ones. Was purchased a few months ago used, perhaps the previous owner was sick of dead batteries. In the meantime I've installed an AGM type battery to ensure we don't have to restart it daily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
multimeter in series between neg battery terminal and frame, multimeter set to the 10A setting. 290mA reading typical, will drop to 90mA for a minute from time to time but ratchet back up as much as 370mA on its own. pulled one fuse at a time in engine compartment and inside panel, except the larger fuse links in the square boxes. 10A MEMORY was the only one when removed made the meter drop at all, and that dropped to 140mA when pulled. Is this the recommended approach? also tried the mV drop test with both terminals connected normally and measured the mV drop across the fuses. again, only the 10A memory fuse had any draw on it.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
So the hood is up? Do you by pass the switch? How long do you wait for the network to fall asleep?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct, I bypass the hood switch by unplugging it (correct?), and would wait about 20 minutes. All doors and trunk shut and left undisturbed. I've even left the meter attached for an hour and was getting similar readings at that level. If I reconnect the hood switch with the plunger extended (as if the hood were up), then press the switch, the meter will drop about 30 sec later back to 90mA, but within a minute will shoot back up to the other levels. I could not tell if this was cycling on its own and by chance I had pressed the hood switch or if they were related.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The whole reason why this came about was over thanksgiving holiday the car did not get started for 2 days and was too discharged to crank the starter, had to jump it. Otherwise, since owned, the car was used daily. The battery was not the greatest so I put in a more expensive AGM type, which definitely cranks the car over faster, but it was during the testing at home I discovered the higher than expected current draw. This car gets used daily by my son and wife, so in practice we should get by ok but I'm certainly not borrowing it to leave at the airport on week long trips! I got a portable booster pack just in case he does have problems.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
As far as the switch goes.....is the warning light on when it's unplugged? Either way you'll need to look at the radio/info center. Pull it and see if the draw goes down. It should get to 50ma or so.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
The info center is the module most likely to be causing that kind of draw through the mem fuse. I think all the trim around it can be popped off but be careful.

·
Registered
13,011 Posts
Funnily enough, someone on another thread was asking what was powered by the memory fuse on an Elantra just yesterday. And I don't think the radio/info center got a mention.

I think I'd be more concerned about the 140mA that was still flowing when the memory fuse was removed. I wonder where that could be going.

What does memory fuse power on 2012 Elantra

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was told the radio presets were on the memory fuse although I didn’t see that specific listed in the owners manual. The AGM battery cranks the car well so as long as we start it every 2-3 days I don’t have any urgency to rip it apart, but when I have time I will do some tests. I took out the memory fuse and measured the current in series on that circuit and it was drawing 180-220 mA. I also found an after market remote start but none of the lines spliced in were drawing any current and the it’s module is unplugged. I will pull the radio sometime just to see but that’s it’s own project.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts