Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent the last long while looking at what my next car will be, and I think I've settled on a used 2013 Elantra for a variety of reasons.

One of my holdups though is how difficult putting an arbitrary nav unit in the car seems to be. Getting a Kenwood, Alpine, etc. nav unit into the car seems to just be a no go.

That being the case, what are my options? Assuming that money is no object, is there anything I can put into other than Compass Nav and Unavi, both of which have absolutely repulsive UIs?

Is there an Android based unit I can get in there? If there is, I might be able to put it on a Verizon plan and have a 4G LTE tablet at the front of my car to stream things like Pandora with no phone connection, which would be nice.

So... what are my options?

·
Registered
439 Posts
I've spent the last long while looking at what my next car will be, and I think I've settled on a used 2013 Elantra for a variety of reasons.

One of my holdups though is how difficult putting an arbitrary nav unit in the car seems to be. Getting a Kenwood, Alpine, etc. nav unit into the car seems to just be a no go.

That being the case, what are my options? Assuming that money is no object, is there anything I can put into other than Compass Nav and Unavi, both of which have absolutely repulsive UIs?

Is there an Android based unit I can get in there? If there is, I might be able to put it on a Verizon plan and have a 4G LTE tablet at the front of my car to stream things like Pandora with no phone connection, which would be nice.

as i know for sure you can navi system on an android platform, you can use 3G as well, but I am not sure if there is 4G available yet.....

·
Registered
911 Posts
You are truly missing out if you do not go with the Compass Nav system. It is gorgeous and well worth the money. Best I have seen to date!!!

·
Registered
952 Posts
+++1 for compass-nav.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm, okay, then how well does the Compass Nav system integrate with aftermarket amps, subs and speakers?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Watched the Youtube video on the Compass-NAV installed in a 2013 Elantra. It looks and seems to function nicely. What's the pricing on this, and how involved is the installation? The Compass-NAV website isn't exactly brimming with that information.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hmmm, okay, then how well does the Compass Nav system integrate with aftermarket amps, subs and speakers?
Compass Nav is just a front end that replaces the display on the stock radio. The amp and radio remain unchanged. That is what would interface with any aftermarket stuff you choose to install.

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just a heads up... I've lowered the price of my factory navigation unit if anyone is interested. You can see it in the classifieds.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts

Not sure why, but there are a LOT of misconceptions in this thread ...

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-md-2011-elantra/226106-can-you-put-oem-elantra-limited-touch-screen-head-unit-into-elantra-gls.html

Scotty's unit won't help unless you are willing to re-pin all the connectors, or if he is selling the harness also.

Compass Nav was new to me.

Aside from a Garmin or Tom-Tom PND or a mount for a smartphone, you have basically the same options as for an Accent below:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/233-rb-2012-accent/225330-upgrading-sat-nav-realistically-possible.html

Obviously, you would want the Elantra options from AliExpress:
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=elantra+Nav&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20140123041544

8" Car dvd player for Hyundai Elantra 2012 xd hd md Pure Android OS GPS Nav Bluetooth Ipod TV Radio 3G WiFi S150 1G CPU 4G Flash-in Car DVD from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

Or you can easily go with Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, JVC, etc. For that, you want the Metra $30 dash kit - 2011-Up Hyundai Elantra DASHKITS 99-7346B METRA and Metra $20 harness adapter - 2011-Up Hyundai Elantra DASHKITS 99-7346B METRA

For the Kia Optima, there are tablet mounts that would allow you to use something like a Nexus as a GPS - not sure if they tied into the stereo or not.

Another option is D-Din Android from AliExpress:
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=D-DIN+android&catId=&initiative_id=SB_20140123041554

(Unfortunately, none of the major brands (Kenwood, Pioneer) have inexpensive Android based units - the only real advantage to the D-DIN Android over the first Chinese units I mentioned is that you would be ready to put in a Kenwood or Pioneer etc. when your Chinese radio broke - and/or you could move the Chinese radio to any other car (Accent/Sonata/Optima) that could take a D-Din, if you traded in the Elantra down the line.

Other than those that come with a D-Din radio standard (many Toyota's and Nissans), there aren't many cars that are EASIER to add aftermaket sound to than the Elantra - especially compared to recent GM, Ford, and Dodge options.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So not to start a new thread does anyone know of any nav options that retain the factory usb/aux. Seems a waste to have them and not be able to use them

·
Registered
952 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
But you have to use their usb I want to keep the factory usb
You can still use the factory one. Where does it say you cant?

Edit -

Features:
Retain all your factory features such as:
- Steering wheel controls (VOL+/-, Track+/-, Mode, Voice dial, Answer/Hang-up
- XM Radio
- Bluetooth
- HD Radio
- Bluelink
- USB
- IPOD playback
- Factory Climate control

·
Registered
77 Posts
On the videos I seen of the install they use different usb in the glove box or on the front of the unit I havent seen one yet showing people actually using the factory usb

1 - 20 of 23 Posts