Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there any way to get the ability to start the vehicle remotely using a smartphone like Blue Link offers? If so, is a device like this more risky or problematic than just a regular remote start? Are there any that don't require a fee based service plan? Which remote start do you guys recommend (both smartphone app and regular key fob based?)

When we got the car 2 years ago we were getting quotes of around $500 from our local dealers (NY) for a regular remote start purchase/install. I haven't checked back recently. Can it really be that costly?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I checked into getting factory installed remote start on my 2013 Limited w/tech and they quoted me $550. I quickly decided it was not worth it... even living in Florida heat I can't see spending that kind of money.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you go this route, do you still have to carry your factory key fob as well as the remote that comes with the new alarm?

·
Registered
547 Posts
If you go this route, do you still have to carry your factory key fob as well as the remote that comes with the new alarm?
I'm pretty sure a remote start without alarm system you'll still need your key. Elantra with push start, not sure how that actually would work. Usually the car needs the key in the car for it start. Curious how this would work.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would not trust "Best" Buy to plug in my TV, let alone rewire my car for remote start. Just saying.
I have to say I am in agreement there!!! So I found a Viper bluetooth smartphone app (no subscription) to start/control the car but I read complaints that the range is terrible. Don't know if it is worth installing it just to find out the car is too far from the house! I think my mother will just have to make due with a regular one unless you knows know of any other options (or a way to boost range)? Also, will a dealership install and warranty a non-Hyundai part? I really want to make sure there are no issues down the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts