Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. I'm posting this in hopes that someone will be able to shed light on what I'm hearing. Either way, I'm taking it in to the dealer to have it looked at, but just wanted to see if anyone else has ever heard this noise before.

When starting the car and ONLY when it's a cold start, like sitting overnight, it makes this weird "groaning" or "whining" noise. I took a video of it because if I drive it to the dealer, then start the car there, it's not going to do it as it only happens after a long period of being off. Listen really closely after the car starts and right before the radio comes on, you will hear a faint groaning noise. It's louder in person, but this is the best I could do.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/L-HWrB3l6gc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
952 Posts
Thats normal. The other guys can explain it better. But yes that is normal and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Normal? My brother just bought a new Elantra on Saturday and his does not make this noise. Hopefully someone can explain it to me. I'd hate to waste time taking it to the dealer if it's normal for this to be happening.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Normal? My brother just bought a new Elantra on Saturday and his does not make this noise.
Use the search engine. Not only is this sound common on many Elantras (mine included), but the issue has been beaten to death in this forum.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
"All systems are go, prepare for launch!"

·
22,788 Posts
I love the sound. I heard it the other morning when it was cold as heck and I started Ingrid up to back her out of the garage. Yeah, buddy! I DO love that sound. Quite normal. Save yourself a trip and wasted gas to be told, "It's normal." Because it is.

Unless your dealer offers free donuts and coffee, I's stay home and watch the news for reports of new sink holes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is it that spaceship mmmm like sound? If so I love that sound and it makes me feel like I'm starting a little jet engine of some sort. :D

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Emma has not done this in awhile.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ellie hasn't done it in a while either. I love hearing that noise, its Ellie's past life as jet fighter shining through.

·
22,788 Posts
Ellie hasn't done it in a while either. I love hearing that noise, its Ellie's past life as jet fighter shining through.
They're partially assembled with parts recycled from North Korean MIG's that were shot down in the 50's! :wink2:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well.... normal is the verdict. I'll leave it alone. Thanks for all the replies and sorry I didn't search it first... it just sounded so strange that I thought surely I wouldn't find anything.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Normal? My brother just bought a new Elantra on Saturday and his does not make this noise. Hopefully someone can explain it to me. I'd hate to waste time taking it to the dealer if it's normal for this to be happening.
Almost every Elantras does it. Mine did it but stopped around 6,000 miles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine does it too...though it doesn't do it every time any more...and I notice when it doesn't. So I guess I go to the shop and tell them "It doesn't make that sound any more...what's wrong?"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello
That winding sound on start-up is a vain turning. It is there to whirl the air on cold starts to reduce gas emissions (make the gas and air mix better).

·
22,788 Posts
Ellie! That's a great name:D
+1 Agree. My 2011 was named Ellie Mae. I had the hots for Donna Douglas on the old Beverly Hillbillies sitcom, way back when. And I do mean, WAY BACK! ;)

Heard the turbine winding up tonight when starting the engine. Temp was 31F. It was chilly the other day when I heard it, too. It comes, it goes. Ho-hum.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts