Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. New to the forum. Looking for some advice. My wife just recently bought a 2013 elantra limit's. Not even a month after purchase she had a little accident with the garage brick wall while backing up....even with a backup camera..but I guess accidents happen. I went to buy a replacment tail light and noticed it big letters check to see if your vehicle is USA made or not.

I checked the vin and hers starts with a K which apparently means it was made in korea. Trying to find parts for this thing is like finding a needle in a haystack plus the price of USA models vs korean models is VASTLY different. I'm looking for a rear bumper cover (preferably pre painted) but can't find hardly anything at a decent price. Is there THAT much of a difference between korea and USA model body parts? I mean they are the same car with the same body lines....right? Any input is gladly appreciatedo

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
This has come up previously on the forum - http://www.hyundai-forums.com/md-2011-2016-elantra-sedan-coupe/553977-tail-light-assy-usa-korean-built-my-usa-built-car.html - Although it was never resolved.

I don't understand or like it, but Hyundai does things differently between the Alabama and Korean-built cars.

I was briefly looking at remote start for these cars and the remote start taps into different wires on same connector depending on where the car was built.

On the tail-light - about all I can tell you is it might work, or you might have to swap wire pins on the connectors to use the USA parts in the Korean car - don't really know.

https://www.go-parts.com/2013-hyundai-elantra-tail-lights-23-409.html - They list a difference for Korea and USA, and Korea is $20 more, so I assume it does matter for some reason.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/hyundai,2013,elantra,1.8l+l4,1503917,body,tail+lamp+assembly,807 - More confusing here, they should tail-lights for $60 with no mention of build location and for $88 where it does matter ...

On the bumper cover, I cant think of any reason that there would be a difference, but you never know.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/hyundai,2013,elantra,1.8l+l4,1503917,body,bumper+cover,1344

Price difference isn't as bad as it looks, they sell an economy line for USA and only have reconditioned for Korea. Reconditioned are the same price - This is NOT the way to go, the $40 part will cost you $80-100 in shipping and $150 or more in paint and prep work.

Ideally, you want to find it in a local junkyard pre-painted.

2013 elantra rear bumper cover | eBay

NEW Painted to Match - Rear Bumper Cover For 2011 2012 2013 Hyundai Elantra | eBay - This looks good, but says for USA only. You might CALL them and ask if they sell for Korea Elantra and/or why it wouldn't work.

Search Results - look for bumper cover (rear) only seem to be 9 in the country.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Body panels, you are probably fine. This was an ebay pre-painted bumper I got years ago:

It was ok. Color was good. Never quite happy with the fit; especially here:

Weeks after I repaired/replaced the front body parts a frickin re-tread that came of a semi whacked my new bumper tearing the corner of it off. Sure as heck wasn't going to replace a "weeks" old bumper. Some places will tell you its not worth it to repair a plastic bumper or that it can't be done. That's crap.

Me, I would repair it. If you aren't inclined then the ebay pre painted work ok.

On the tail light, man up and get the korean part... even from ebay. It will save you headaches later.
Save

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oh oh oh! Almost forgot... That hood was reproduction; and crap. I will avoid aftermarket body panels EXCEPT maybe bumpers after my experiences with them on this car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
elantrapple
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing