Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started to have some idle problems with my 2013 Elantra GLS auto 1.8 that has 10k miles.

I went to the gas station to fill up the tank since the gas was very low (30 mile range). I filled up the tank, started the car and the engine began to stumble and idle poorly like it was about to stall. I put the car in drive and the engine stalled. I restarted the car and it ran normally.

The car will now briefly idle poorly when I'm at a stop light. The car will be at a stop light idling and running normally. Suddenly, the tach will go down to 200 rpm and then up to 1200 rpm, like it is about the stall. Then it will idle steadily and be back to normal. This has happened about three times over the past two weeks.

Any ideas of what may be causing this intermittent idle problem? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Dont know, but I'd just take it in and see if there are any codes being thrown and let warranty take care of it.

·
22,777 Posts
@Don67: Sure sounds like "poor quality gas," doesn't it? Runs fine, put in gas, immediately afterward it starts that idle nonsense.

Only thing that occurred between "entering and leaving the pump" was the introduction of fuel. Coincidence? This might be a good time to pour a $5 bottle of Techron down the filler tube. And that's the only snake oil I would ever, EVER put into the tank. Here's a case where we might be able to prove/disprove a theory. But then again... :wink2:

Up a little early, aren't you big boy? What? You have to get up and let the dog out? :grin:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried different bands of gas, but I'm still having rough idle issues. There is a slight intermittent rough idle without the AC. When the AC is on, the rough idle gets worse. At least the idle is steady now, but this whole rough idle situation is annoying... I'll have to make an appointment with the dealer service department, so they can say, "This is common for this engine," or "We couldn't find anything wrong with it..."

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I mentioned the idle was steady now, I meant the engine's rpm was steady, but the engine was still running rough...

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just started to have some idle problems with my 2013 Elantra GLS auto 1.8 that has 10k miles.

I went to the gas station to fill up the tank since the gas was very low (30 mile range).
Waiting until the tank is this low before filling can invite problems as there may be sediment at the very bottom of the tank. The filling process could have stirred up that sediment causing it to wind up in your fuel filter, therefore causing the symptoms you're experiencing. Definitely get it to the dealer, but don't mention your fuel filling practices.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've filled up my vehicle prior to the 'low fuel' light coming on in the past 15+ years. If there is sediment, it's on the bottom of the tank. The fuel pump has a screen that protects it.

I replaced the fuel pump on a '98 S-10 pickup when I thought it had failed (was ignition switch), minimal sediment, rust, etc. in the tank or the pump screen.

Whatever may be causing your rough-running conditions, my experience says it has nothing to do with letting your fuel level get too low. Heck, I don't stop for fuel in my E until the "Distance to Empty" reads "--", ie "You better pull over and get gas at the next station."

·
Retired Staff
11,816 Posts
I tried different bands of gas, but I'm still having rough idle issues. There is a slight intermittent rough idle without the AC. When the AC is on, the rough idle gets worse. At least the idle is steady now, but this whole rough idle situation is annoying... I'll have to make an appointment with the dealer service department, so they can say, "This is common for this engine," or "We couldn't find anything wrong with it..."
Yes same here since brand new.

·
Registered
763 Posts
My '14 does the same, when stopped in drive, AC on or off, for extended time (long traffic lights), when I hit the gas, it stumbles to a real low idle for a split second then takes off. My '13 never once did this.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I went to the gas station to fill up the tank since the gas was very low (30 mile range). I filled up the tank, started the car and the engine began to stumble and idle poorly like it was about to stall. I put the car in drive and the engine stalled. I restarted the car and it ran normally.

The car will now briefly idle poorly when I'm at a stop light. The car will be at a stop light idling and running normally. Suddenly, the tach will go down to 200 rpm and then up to 1200 rpm, like it is about the stall. Then it will idle steadily and be back to normal. This has happened about three times over the past two weeks.

Any ideas of what may be causing this intermittent idle problem? Thanks!
Granddaughters car did the same thing it ended up being a crank sensor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
Billy37745
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing