Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were out east and the XM started having issues in New Brunswick and was useless in Nova Scotia.

Xm does say that their signal is weak there, especially if you are in a city or mountains which I was not.

My issue with this is that other people with XM did not have the same issues in the area of my visit. In particular, portable and the ford focus had little issue. Even the service guy at Hyunday said he was there with a friend who had Sat. and it worked fine.

Service say they can't do anything about it and I have to have it serviced in Nova Scotia when the problem arises. I did call service there and they just blamed it on the weak signal and offered no solution.

I think the Antenna is too small to deal with a weaker signal than other ones. Does anyone know if you can install an aftermarket antenna and what the cost would be?

·
Registered
674 Posts
We were out east and the XM started having issues in New Brunswick and was useless in Nova Scotia.

Xm does say that their signal is weak there, especially if you are in a city or mountains which I was not.

My issue with this is that other people with XM did not have the same issues in the area of my visit. In particular, portable and the ford focus had little issue. Even the service guy at Hyunday said he was there with a friend who had Sat. and it worked fine.

Service say they can't do anything about it and I have to have it serviced in Nova Scotia when the problem arises. I did call service there and they just blamed it on the weak signal and offered no solution.

I think the Antenna is too small to deal with a weaker signal than other ones. Does anyone know if you can install an aftermarket antenna and what the cost would be?
I complained of this as well in this forum over the past summer. XM reception was almost useless in many parts of NF, including the city.

GPS maps were outdated as well. My old Garmin (updated to 2010 maps) had an easier time navigating the maritimes than the 2013 GT did.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I recall reading somewhere that XM uses mostly equatorial satellites with another few that loop northward, concentrating on the center of the US so they can reach both coastlines. This probably means generally poor signal conditions in eastern Canada for many hours out of the day. (In major metro areas, XM often uses terrestrial repeaters to alleviate reception issues - often folks who report their reception is consistently good are probably in one of those areas.)

And we've had some pretty consistent reports that XM works somewhat poorly in the GT. Whether it is the radio or the antenna.... don't know.

Combine the two and you have what you got. I doubt it is specific to your car, but you could probably browbeat Hyundai into putting either a new radio, new antenna or both in. But my bet is that things would be unchanged.

Good luck finding a solution. An aftermarket antennae, dedicated to XM only, is a good idea but installation might be fiddly. FWIIW, I gave up on XM a while back - I like the idea but the implementation and business model leaves a lot to be desired.

- Mark

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well speaking from someone who lives here with a GT.

I have not had a problem. But i also dont use the XM radio built into the car, as the buffer is way to small and it does cut out when i would go under a over pass. I have a stand alone sirius radio that i use now. Its not the antenna thats the problem.

I ran the "new" antenna though the car fine and put it right behind the stock one. I have no problems now. The only complaint is that i have a huge DC power adapter that i have to wire into the car appose to it sticking out of the 2 DC outlets in the front.

Now being totally useless i did not have this problem at all. I would have this looked at.

Like it is just cutting lots or just not working at all?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have not had a problem. But i also dont use the XM radio built into the car, as the buffer is way to small and it does cut out when i would go under a over pass. I have a stand alone sirius radio that i use now. Its not the antenna thats the problem.... ran the "new" antenna though the car fine and put it right behind the stock one.
To independently know whether it is the radio or the antenna, I'd think you'd need to route your new antenna to the GT radio. Did you do this?

- Mark

·
Registered
217 Posts
To independently know whether it is the radio or the antenna, I'd think you'd need to route your new antenna to the GT radio. Did you do this?

- Mark

The back of the stock radio does not have the standard external antenna. So you can not do this. All you have to do is cover the stock radio antenna with your hand and see how long the buffer is. Its not long. The sirius that i have has a 30 second buffer, so if i lose signal it will not cut out and when i get signal back it will fill the buffer up so you will not notice a thing when your driving along.

·
22,793 Posts
There used to be signal amplifiers that could be placed on the old style antenna leads "back in the day." Their purpose was to boost the reception on those old AM/FM radios. Is this an option? I know nothing about how to increase the receiver's signal ability. Sometimes, I think I don't know anything about most stuff. Actually, I get this feeling more frequently as technology moves onward and leaves me behind scratching my head in amazement.

Here, in our locale, it's never been an issue. I've only experienced this signal loss scenario a couple of times, albeit briefly, when traveling through some mountain ranges in North Carolina, Virginia, and Colorado.

·
Banned
532 Posts
There used to be signal amplifiers that could be placed on the old style antenna leads "back in the day."
We were also able to put a cassette tape with wires hanging out into the car radio and play our awesome 8 tracks......remember that one Rich?

·
22,793 Posts
We were also able to put a cassette tape with wires hanging out into the car radio and play our awesome 8 tracks......remember that one Rich?
You just had to go there and start this nonsense all over again, huh? Uh, yeah, but I'll plead the fifth on that one!

Just wasn't anything as awesome as that under-the-dash 8-track player blowing out the full stereophonic sounds on rear 6x9's while Emerson, Lake & Palmer's "Lucky Man" reverberated and bounced those synthesized notes from one side to the other side of the cabin.

Those WERE the days. Thanks for allowing this old geezer to reminisce! ;)

·
Registered
674 Posts
The back of the stock radio does not have the standard external antenna. So you can not do this. All you have to do is cover the stock radio antenna with your hand and see how long the buffer is. Its not long. The sirius that i have has a 30 second buffer, so if i lose signal it will not cut out and when i get signal back it will fill the buffer up so you will not notice a thing when your driving along.
I wonder if that is possible on Hyundai's end; create an update that uses some of that memory we have on-board for mp3s and dedicate it to the xm radio.

I started to see issues with XM when we hit New Brunswick/Maine border, but it was quite usable. Up around Sydney NS it cut out a few times. On Newfoundland, we just gave up totally as it would not work more often than it did. We drove the TransCanada from Port aux Basques to St. John's. A buddy of mine with a standalone Sirius drives this route, and never experienced the issues I described.

Also, while travelling this Toronto-St. John's trip, the GPS had a lot of issues with out of date maps (for roads that were around in 2010, 2011) and with no GPS signal. At one point, when I was on the new highway from St. Stephen's (with New Glasgow as my destination) the GPS proudly told me that I had arrived at my destination in New Glasgow....I was barely 1/2 hour out of St. Stephens lol.

·
Banned
532 Posts
You just had to go there and start this nonsense all over again, huh? Uh, yeah, but I'll plead the fifth on that one!

Just wasn't anything as awesome as that under-the-dash 8-track player blowing out the full stereophonic sounds on rear 6x9's while Emerson, Lake & Palmer's "Lucky Man" reverberated and bounced those synthesized notes from one side to the other side of the cabin.

Those WERE the days. Thanks for allowing this old geezer to reminisce! ;)
:eek:fftopic: Great choice...However I'll take ELP's version of Coplands "Fanfare for the Common Man" louder and clearer on any sunny day.:)

·
Registered
893 Posts
I understand.... an aftermarket radio has a longer buffer. But this doesn't mean that all/most of the poor reception problems might not be due to the antenna. A longer buffer can help mask some reception issues, but many of the complaints are simply that the radio isn't receiving a strong enough signal to work at all. Again, it might be radio, but it might be antenna too.

- Mark

·
Registered
217 Posts
I wonder if that is possible on Hyundai's end; create an update that uses some of that memory we have on-board for mp3s and dedicate it to the xm radio.

I started to see issues with XM when we hit New Brunswick/Maine border, but it was quite usable. Up around Sydney NS it cut out a few times. On Newfoundland, we just gave up totally as it would not work more often than it did. We drove the TransCanada from Port aux Basques to St. John's. A buddy of mine with a standalone Sirius drives this route, and never experienced the issues I described.

Also, while travelling this Toronto-St. John's trip, the GPS had a lot of issues with out of date maps (for roads that were around in 2010, 2011) and with no GPS signal. At one point, when I was on the new highway from St. Stephen's (with New Glasgow as my destination) the GPS proudly told me that I had arrived at my destination in New Glasgow....I was barely 1/2 hour out of St. Stephens lol.
Yeah thats not even close. HAHA, "hunny im home, OH wait WHAT THE ......"

I understand.... an aftermarket radio has a longer buffer. But this doesn't mean that all/most of the poor reception problems might not be due to the antenna. A longer buffer can help mask some reception issues, but many of the complaints are simply that the radio isn't receiving a strong enough signal to work at all. Again, it might be radio, but it might be antenna too.

- Mark

I wonder if the antenna is not a true 360 degree antenna, like a true sirius antenna is.

There was a topic in the forums about switch it stock antenna out for a shark fin. It looks like way to much work at the moment, but im wondering if the shark fins work better.

·
22,793 Posts
:laughing: I needed a great laugh, today, and your comment provided just that. The imaginary scenarios that my mind conjured up when I read that? Too funny! Thanks!

BTW, I have the shark fin on my sedan. If I lived nearby, I could follow you into the dead zones and we could do a side-by-side comparison. It would be interesting to try that little experiment.

Got any friends, that have friends, that knows someone, that has an Elantra with a shark fin mounted to the roof? Just a thought. Hope you get this worked out.

·
22,793 Posts
:eek:fftopic: Great choice...However I'll take ELP's version of Coplands "Fanfare for the Common Man" louder and clearer on any sunny day.:)
Okay, I'll give you that one, John! Awesome track...absolutely speaker shattering track. UP the volume...to MAX! And for those of you from the younger generation that haven't heard it, "Give `er a go." Followed closely by some "Best of...AC/DC" and the like. LMAO

Wife once asked me what that ring tone was when she called my phone by accident. I reluctantly said, "Highway to H***." Was glad that my mom had taught me how to cook. Otherwise, I would have starved to death over the next several days.

·
22,793 Posts
Change over to "You shook me". It may strike a nostalgic cord.
It struck more than one! Whole lot of Rosie, there! :grin: That would probably melt my shark fin down on XM's classic rock. If I lost the signal during that song, I'd probably implode.

·
Registered
674 Posts
:laughing: I needed a great laugh, today, and your comment provided just that. The imaginary scenarios that my mind conjured up when I read that? Too funny! Thanks!
Yep. We were about 4 hours away, approx 400kms....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts