Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently started having a problem with my 2013 Elantra GT, where it would go into a type of limp mode. I will come to a stop at a light, and the tachometer will stop working, my transmission won't shift up or down, and my traction control light comes on. The engine appears to run fine, but because I will be stuck in whatever gear I was at it won't get up and go. After pulling over, putting the car in park, shutting off the vehicle, and sitting for 15 to 30 seconds I will restart my car and it runs fine.

At first, I thought I just needed to tune up my vehicle. I have 98500 miles and I knew spark plug change needed to happen. Also when this first started happening my car would sometimes completely die. So I thought maybe bad gas or misfire etc. I replaced the spark plugs and ran a bottle of seafoam and good gas and now I have the same issue described above but my car doesn't completely stall anymore.

Every time this has happened the check engine light never comes on, only the Traction Control Light will come on, and then when I restart it goes off and it runs fine.

This appears to have only happened since I got new tires. I had to take it to the tire place a few times because a couple of the NEW tires they put on were bad, but they took care of me and the tires are doing great now.

So, would a wheel speed sensor put your car into this kind of mode? I mean why else would the traction control light come on? Thoughts???

I am going to take it to Orileys later today to have them see if any codes might be in the system...

Vehicle History
2013 Elantra GT
Purchased used in January 2019 (3rd owner)
98500 Miles
Only Normal Maintenance Done in the life of the vehicle (Battery, Filter, Tires, Oil etc.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently started having a problem with my 2013 Elantra GT, where it would go into a type of limp mode. I will come to a stop at a light, and the tachometer will stop working, my transmission won't shift up or down, and my traction control light comes on. The engine appears to run fine, but because I will be stuck in whatever gear I was at it won't get up and go. After pulling over, putting the car in park, shutting off the vehicle, and sitting for 15 to 30 seconds I will restart my car and it runs fine.

At first, I thought I just needed to tune up my vehicle. I have 98500 miles and I knew spark plug change needed to happen. Also when this first started happening my car would sometimes completely die. So I thought maybe bad gas or misfire etc. I replaced the spark plugs and ran a bottle of seafoam and good gas and now I have the same issue described above but my car doesn't completely stall anymore.

Every time this has happened the check engine light never comes on, only the Traction Control Light will come on, and then when I restart it goes off and it runs fine.

This appears to have only happened since I got new tires. I had to take it to the tire place a few times because a couple of the NEW tires they put on were bad, but they took care of me and the tires are doing great now.

So, would a wheel speed sensor put your car into this kind of mode? I mean why else would the traction control light come on? Thoughts???

I am going to take it to Orileys later today to have them see if any codes might be in the system...

Vehicle History
2013 Elantra GT
Purchased used in January 2019 (3rd owner)
98500 Miles
Only Normal Maintenance Done in the life of the vehicle (Battery, Filter, Tires, Oil etc.)
Although the symptoms I had are different than yours, it is possible you are having the same problem I had. Mine did go in to limp mode and had random loss of 1st gear, and when in limp mode, would only go up to 4th once I did get it going. I did get a couple codes and engine light came on. Hyundai didn't acknowledge it, but there is a TSB issued for it, so I had to take it to a transmission shop, and they told me there were some factory bolts that had loosened over time and caused 1st gear not to seat properly and subsequently fail. This is a factory assembly issue, but is repairable. Regrettably, for me it cost $2500, but was still cheaper than writing it off and getting another car, as this car was very well taken care of by the dealership since new, and had only just expired the extended warranty 1000km's prior! Worth looking in to. Look for TSB #19-AT-012H.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,539 Posts
The fact that the tachometer fails would be pointing me to the crank position sensor. Thankfully that wont cost $2500.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a BMW before this GT and when it went into limp mode it was scary but f not outright dangerous. One time it was the electrical water pump. The other times, the dash would light up like a Christmas tree. Traction malfunction, transmission malfunction, brake malfunction, engine malfunction. The problem. Needed a new battery. As cars get more advanced and more computerized, a good stable electrical supply up to voltage is needed. Have your battery/alternator tested.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just replaced the crankshaft position sensor, and solved this problem for my GT. Been driving for 5 days no issues. Replacing the crankshaft position sensor is very easy and you can get the OEM part on amazon for like $25!

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,539 Posts
Just replaced the crankshaft position sensor, and solved this problem for my GT. Been driving for 5 days no issues.
Thanks for taking the time to post back and confirm the fix. I'm sure the next guy with those symptoms will appreciate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts