Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on switching my dad's 2011 elantra limited over to projectors, and picked up a set of 2013 elantra gt oem projectors to switch them with.

Now after reading a lot of the threads on projector upgrades I saw where someone mentions that the GT's are in fact a slightly different sized assembly on the GT and are not compatible.

Can someone confirm or deny that these are not the same size? Thanks, if they won't work I guess I'll sell them and buy aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I was planning on switching my dad's 2011 elantra limited over to projectors, and picked up a set of 2013 elantra gt oem projectors to switch them with.

Now after reading a lot of the threads on projector upgrades I saw where someone mentions that the GT's are in fact a slightly different sized assembly on the GT and are not compatible.

Can someone confirm or deny that these are not the same size? Thanks, if they won't work I guess I'll sell them and buy aftermarket.
They look different to me.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
GT on elantra - wont FIT!!!!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Btw, when I said 2014, I meant the coupe or sedan (not GT), with the projector headlights.
The wiring is totally different on the 2014 models so that won't work either. Aftermarket has some good options. Gamerguy just installed his and looks great. Few other members have as well.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Seems like the only difference would be the LED rail. The other bulbs and would probably remain unchanged, and plug right in. Need to see bulb specs, and have someone try fitment to be absolute.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Not to speak for 1badsr but he said wiring. Even if the bulbs have changed and an LED eyeline added there would be no need to change the basic wiring. Just add two more wires for the LED or three if its two colors and also used as a turn signal.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I think it was mentioned in another thread. I also believe projectors use H7 most of the time, well all the ones I've seen for the E anyway. Would be great if it's PnP.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Not to speak for 1badsr but he said wiring. Even if the bulbs have changed and an LED eyeline added there would be no need to change the basic wiring. Just add two more wires for the LED or three if its two colors and also used as a turn signal.
Right, i.e. same wiring, same bulbs, same difference. I just meant nothing should be different except the LED connection. Although, the LED replacing the high beam as the DRL could be a factor.

I think it was mentioned in another thread. I also believe projectors use H7 most of the time, well all the ones I've seen for the E anyway. Would be great if it's PnP.
They're not HID projectors on the '14. Probably uses the same H11 as the low beam projectors in the GT.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I couldn't find a source on the internet for 2014 parts yet. If the physical dimensions are the same I can figure out any wiring discrepancies. I see some reasonable assemblies on ebay, I just worry about projector light output compared with oem. I plan to use morimoto ballasts with 5000k bulbs.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The thing about some of the aftermarket lamps, and I speak from experience, is they can have real physical problems. Cheap adjustment mechanisms that create alignment difficulty, poor quality shells that deteriorate quickly, crappy reflectors, badly sealed enclosures and lenses that either have chromatic or prismatic properties they shouldn't.. You get the point.

·
Registered
439 Posts
if I would be TS I will go with new 2014 LED HID headlights only...It looks really nice and cool and all wiring is the same, nothing to do. So if you are asking about this headlights, the answer would be - it is simple swap, all wiring is the same etc....

·
Registered
911 Posts
Although, the LED replacing the high beam as the DRL could be a factor.
Not really. If you remember at a certain point in 2013 the ECM logic changed for DRL. The light switch has to be turned on to parking lights, which lights up the side marker, parking lights and half power to the high beam.

Replacing the half power high beam with an LED would just require the LED be added to the parking light/turn signal circuit. IMO an LED DRL is an excellent idea. Very low wattage required, can be seen during the day and will not blind on coming traffic at night if kept on like the parking and side marker lights.

More use of high quality LEDs should drive down the prices hopefully as the inclusion of the LED as DRL will increase the cost of headlights.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Replacing the half power high beam with an LED would just require the LED be added to the parking light/turn signal circuit.
I did say the LED could be a factor right? However slight the change, it's a factor that stops this from being simply plug and play.

Removing the high beam from the DRL circuit is a factor. We don't want that lighting up to half power anymore. That's not going to be done through wiring, but through logic.

Adding in new low voltage wiring for the LED is a factor. We do want that to light up, and we cannot feed the same power as the half high beam received, as you noted. I agree it's a good idea to go this direction.

You said there would be no need to change the basic wiring..if you change nothing, nothing changes. So the wiring, and power distribution logic must be different, however slight.

I've already done this on another car, and because of the DRL logic, the LED Halo's became my 2nd DRL's and I had to run the wiring as simple ignition switched, because I couldn't turn off the high beam DRL logic or tap that circuit, since it delivered two voltages depending on usage.

True DRL's don't require the power to the parking lights be on. In our U.S. cars, "Auto" is the correct setting for DRL's, because parking lights turn on the rears, which is illegal during the day. Auto, only powers the half lit high beam with no markers on. I imagine the Canadians don't have to do anything for DRL's.

·
Registered
439 Posts
is in the us you have drl on hi-beams? Personally I hate it when they use it in Canada. The problem can be solved using some relay as far as I know, but I couldnt figure out how to make connection yet...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts