Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 GT with 40,000 miles. A couple of weeks ago I had to replace the battery. Unfortunately I had to go to Wal-Mart to get it replaced. As soon as I got home I replaced the OE air filter with a K&N drop in Filter. Before this, I was averaging 32 MPG. Now I am averaging 28 MPG. I have been using K&N filters for years on many different factory cars and race cars and always have seen an increase in MPG even if it was a small amount.

Is it possible something got messed with when the battery was changed or is this going to be an air filter problem? I threw away my old OE filter thinking I would never need it again so I can't just put it back in and see what happens.

·
Registered
785 Posts
wal-mart is the best place to get a battery IMO, that definitely wouldn't change anything, and I can't imagine the act of replacing one causing a change like that either.

K&N is over hyped. Sure you may have gained MPG on an older car that had a throttle body controlled by a cable, but now that everything is controlled electronically, it should make zero difference. On an electronically controlled throttle body, the airflow is controlled via feedback from the MAP/MAF sensor (so if your filter is less restrictive, the throttle body will choke off just as much to compensate).

Only possibilities I can think of is that:
1. the K&N air filter oil landed on one of your sensors
2. your driving habits have changed (a 10% change isn't much, that could be due to weathe, or changing the route you take to work)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just for reference. It's been cold around here over the last few weeks. My mileage dropped from 38 mpg to 32. As it has warmed over the last few days I'm drifting back up to 35. The cold start takes its toll on mileage.

I have a K&N filter. All my cars do. I always thought it was at wide open throttle that it made the most difference. I like only having to buy one filter for the life of the car and I can clean it whenever I want.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I made a trip to Houston last week running 80MPH on the toll road and interstate. It was cold. I have made this trip several times in warm temps on summer fuel and saw 32-35mpg. This trip on winter fuel mix, 29mph. Read where this is not a surprise, the fuel mix additives are working on emissions under winter temps.

Same thing happened with both the '15 Sonata 2.4L as the '14 EGT.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts