Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Our 2013 GT SE was in today to have the ticking noise diagnosed. My wife just heard back from the dealer and they said the engine needs to be replaced. I asked my wife if it is covered and she said the dealership told her it should be covered as we have maintained the car well. We are outside of the 5 year (purchased 2012) 100k original warranty, so that's good news, but I have to wait for details and confirmation before I do my happy dance. We also purchased an extended warranty at purchase and I'll need to know if that or if Hyundai Canada is covering. Will pass along details as I get them. We all bought these cars in good faith and helped propel Hyundai to the success it is enjoying today so I hope all us will be treated right by Hyundai.

·
Registered
83 Posts
do u have any video or audio so that the rest of us has a better idea of what this ticking noise sounds like? I have a 2013 GT and have not heard this noise, or maybe I have but don't recognize it. thanks.

·
Registered
343 Posts
DO NOT go for Hyundai's BS you need oil receipts, if you don't have them of course. Show them, but an engine health as far as sludge can be seen when you fully pull off the valve cover. The engine does not need to be taken apart. If you don't have your receipts, tell them there is no need for that, pull the valve cover and the health of my engine can be seen right there. Say you want to be there to take pictures when it is first pulled off, arrange a time that you will be there when it is first cracked open. Take close up pictures from all different angles with flash and 8 pictures without to document the health. You may need it if it is clearly clean and they try to deny your claim. You being there with a camera will do wonders to know you will fight it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just came in here to add my story, as I am just now going through this...

My ‘13 has always had a slight “tick,” but since it was present from the day I got it (original owner) I chalked it up to that’s just how it sounds.

It’s at 46k now 6 years later and the car has had zero problems even with the tick. Over the last few months the tick has gotten progressively louder, so I finally decided to have someone take a look. After 30mins they came out and said “you need a new engine.”

The dealer said it’s a flaw in the engine’s design, that the top part of the engine doesn’t get enough lubrication. The ‘14 updated the engine to correct the problem and that’s what I would be getting. Since it’s a $8k warranty claim, Hyundai wanted a little more info (reasonable), so they had me leave them the car for a day to take off the valve covers and oil pan. All my maintenance had been done through them, so that wasn’t a problem. Just got a call that the claim has been approved (under Powertrain warranty) and I’ll have a brand new, updated engine installed in 2 days.

I’m very happy with how it’s been handled. I’m about to get a brand new $8k engine without spending a dime. Didn’t even have to pay for the loaner car.

I do have video but can’t post it (that I know of). If you search YouTube for 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT engine knocking” what I hear there is the same on my car...

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Just came in here to add my story, as I am just now going through this...

My ‘13 has always had a slight “tick,” but since it was present from the day I got it (original owner) I chalked it up to that’s just how it sounds.

It’s at 46k now 6 years later and the car has had zero problems even with the tick. Over the last few months the tick has gotten progressively louder, so I finally decided to have someone take a look. After 30mins they came out and said “you need a new engine.”

The dealer said it’s a flaw in the engine’s design, that the top part of the engine doesn’t get enough lubrication. The ‘14 updated the engine to correct the problem and that’s what I would be getting. Since it’s a $8k warranty claim, Hyundai wanted a little more info (reasonable), so they had me leave them the car for a day to take off the valve covers and oil pan. All my maintenance had been done through them, so that wasn’t a problem. Just got a call that the claim has been approved (under Powertrain warranty) and I’ll have a brand new, updated engine installed in 2 days.

I’m very happy with how it’s been handled. I’m about to get a brand new $8k engine without spending a dime. Didn’t even have to pay for the loaner car.

I do have video but can’t post it (that I know of). If you search YouTube for 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT engine knocking” what I hear there is the same on my car...
I guess I kinda understand what they meant by 2014 models getting an updated design but only the sedan carried on the 1.8 through 2016. All 2014+ Elantra GT's and 2014 Coupes come with 2.0 GDI engines along with 2014-2016 Sport sedans.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Our 2013 SE came home Friday with a new short block assembly (new engine) and no ticking. Covered by Hyundai Canada. Dealer even threw in a complimentary vacuum and window cleaning! They made a point to tell us that there were "no outstanding recalls/campaigns" and "no engine recall history". This tells me that Hyundai Canada is doing the right thing for those who notice the issue and have it looked at. Guess those who don't ask are going to be left out? Not sure this is intentional by Hyundai but not good for those who are caught unawares. My sister bought a 2013 for her daughter and I have told her to start bringing up the issue with her dealership. A big shout out to Burlington Hyundai and Hyundai Canada for helping us out. Hope everyone else affected by this issue gets looked after as well as we were, as you should be.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does the dealer know you bought the car used? I don't believe the warranty carries over unless you bought it from the dealer's used car lot.
DO NOT go for Hyundai's BS you need oil receipts, if you don't have them of course. Show them, but an engine health as far as sludge can be seen when you fully pull off the valve cover. The engine does not need to be taken apart. If you don't have your receipts, tell them there is no need for that, pull the valve cover and the health of my engine can be seen right there. Say you want to be there to take pictures when it is first pulled off, arrange a time that you will be there when it is first cracked open. Take close up pictures from all different angles with flash and 8 pictures without to document the health. You may need it if it is clearly clean and they try to deny your claim. You being there with a camera will do wonders to know you will fight it.
So I took our 13 Elantra GLS into dealership today along with hard copy of TSB 14-20-002 for this engine ticking. They charged me about $130 USD for the diagnostic and the tech's recommendation was a new engine long block. Im currently the original owner and we would fall in the 10yr/100k mile Powertrain warranty. Dealership tells me next step is setting up appointment for them to put 4 hours of labor in opening engine and taking pictures to send to Hyundai for new engine claim approval. They tell me that if no sludge is found, then there is no problem and claim will get approved with no issues to include rental coverage. However, if sludge is found, then I am on the hook for these 4 hours of labor to open engine. Then things get suspicious and they tell me that this TSB 14-20-002 was issued by Hyundai Auto Canada Corp. and doesn't apply here in the USA. I find that weird as lines 3-4 state: Hyundai Auto Canada Corp. has reported this condition and has conducted extensive quality research with Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama (HMMA) to determine the root cause of this condition." Then lines 20- 27 state: "For vehicles exhibiting these conditions we are advising dealers not to conduct any further diagnosis but to order a replacement engine short block assembly...There is no need to disassemble the engine for inspection. Both the Hyundai Warranty Department and HYTAC will not require tear down of an Elantra (UD) engine for this knocking issue."

So why if Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama was involved in investigation does it not apply to USA Hyundai elantras? Also why is a 4 hour tear down required is the TSB states there is NO NEED? My concern lies exactly with what Mainia says. What is to say they open engine while I sit in waiting room and conclude there is sludge in engine thus voiding warranty? Am I being superstitious here? Its my word against theirs. I imagine they can throw some sludge on it and take pictures of it just so that Hyundai is not on the hook for this. I personally have changed the engine oil on this vehicle since day one with Royal Purple 5w-20 every 7k miles, HOWEVER, I did not keep all receipts of buying materials from Advanced Auto Parts or Amazon(who ever had better deal at the time). The car is currently just over 60k miles. What can I do to protect myself against something like this happening to wife and I? Can I request to be there when they first open the engine? I am a Retired Marine Veteran and I know the meaning of integrity and how to take responsibility for my actions. If I knew I failed to do any of my scheduled maintenance I certainly wouldn't care enough about this car to even go through this process now. ****, Im looking for an excuse for the wife to join me on the dark side and buy a Toyota. I will attach a video of the car making the noise, my invoice, and page 1 of TSB 14-20-002. Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
My engine was manufactured in Korea and it tanked at 14,000 miles. The 1.8 liter is involved in their oil film barrier collapse issue, they just have covered it up with warranting the bad ones. . Get your local BBB involves ASAP if they say it is sludge. While I am not a huge RP fab, it still is a good group 3 oil. You DON NOT HAVE to prove oil change receipts. There was NOTHING said in your contract of sale or said by the salesman and it is not an industry standard. There is ZERO need to take apart the engine for sludge, that can be done as I said with just a valve cover pull. If you were running Royal Purple you wont have much sludge. DON"T let them say "varnish" is sludge. If they say it is sludge, get a ton of pictures with and without flash and hire a local oil engineer from a large oil supply distributor like we have here in Minneapolis.

https://www.lubetech.com/home

Varnish ( ok )

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/attachments/usergals/2017/02/full-76973-4134-unspecified.jpg

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachments/es-1st-to-4th-gen-1990-2006/160370d1261952574-sludge-advice-dsc02790.jpg

Sludge

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa183/bradworks/Toyota%20Avalon%20Sludge/Sludge-1.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa183/bradworks/Toyota Avalon Sludge/Sludge-3.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa183/bradworks/Toyota Avalon Sludge/Sludge-2.jpg

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
BEBO:
"So I took our 13 Elantra GLS into dealership today along with hard copy of TSB 14-20-002 for this engine ticking. They charged me about $130 USD for the diagnostic and the tech's recommendation was a new engine long block. Im currently the original owner and we would fall in the 10yr/100k mile Powertrain warranty. Dealership tells me next step is setting up appointment for them to put 4 hours of labor in opening engine and taking pictures to send to Hyundai for new engine claim approval. They tell me that if no sludge is found, then there is no problem and claim will get approved with no issues to include rental coverage. However, if sludge is found, then I am on the hook for these 4 hours of labor to open engine."

Boy you kept no receipts for your maintenance work ----Good reason to void your warranty. :=(
If they hopefully honor the warranty you should get your $130 back if not your screwed :=(

I keep all info and receipts including detailed photos of work done. I even include cabin filter changes

·
Registered
13 Posts
My engine was manufactured in Korea and it tanked at 14,000 miles. The 1.8 liter is involved in their oil film barrier collapse issue, they just have covered it up with warranting the bad ones. . Get your local BBB involves ASAP if they say it is sludge. While I am not a huge RP fab, it still is a good group 3 oil. You DON NOT HAVE to prove oil change receipts. There was NOTHING said in your contract of sale or said by the salesman and it is not an industry standard. There is ZERO need to take apart the engine for sludge, that can be done as I said with just a valve cover pull. If you were running Royal Purple you wont have much sludge. DON"T let them say "varnish" is sludge. If they say it is sludge, get a ton of pictures with and without flash and hire a local oil engineer from a large oil supply distributor like we have here in Minneapolis.
https://www.lubetech.com/home
Varnish ( ok )
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/attachments/usergals/2017/02/full-76973-4134-unspecified.jpg
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachments/es-1st-to-4th-gen-1990-2006/160370d1261952574-sludge-advice-dsc02790.jpg
Sludge
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa183/bradworks/Toyota%20Avalon%20Sludge/Sludge-1.jpg
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa183/bradworks/Toyota Avalon Sludge/Sludge-3.jpg
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa183/bradworks/Toyota Avalon Sludge/Sludge-2.jpg
Thank you for all that information. I could use all the ammunition I can get. For a guy like me who only conducts simple maintenance on my vehicles (belts, oil, filters, brakes, rotors) that is very helpful. I have called the Hyundai Customer Service number twice now and two different representatives had absolutely no idea what a Technical Service Bulletin was. I asked to speak to a manager and they both said there is no one the can transfer me to. I find it crazy that an official document publicly put out by Hyundai is non existent to these representatives.

In any case, I called the local dealership back and requested an answer from the technician as to why he or she is recommending a long block assembly replacement instead of a short block assembly like the TSB specifies. If it were the short block assembly that was recommended to be replaced then the TSB clearly states the engine is not to be disassembled for inspection. This all seems far too suspicious to me honestly. If the mechanic sticks to his or her original recommendation, then I will just bitew the bullet on the $129 USD diagnostic fee and not bring my car in. I can deal with the knocking for the remainder of our time with this car and honestly it give us a reason to just buy a Toyota and deal with less issues. I will update on what response I get back from the technician.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thank you for all that information. I could use all the ammunition I can get. For a guy like me who only conducts simple maintenance on my vehicles (belts, oil, filters, brakes, rotors) that is very helpful. I have called the Hyundai Customer Service number twice now and two different representatives had absolutely no idea what a Technical Service Bulletin was. I asked to speak to a manager and they both said there is no one the can transfer me to. I find it crazy that an official document publicly put out by Hyundai is non existent to these representatives.

In any case, I called the local dealership back and requested an answer from the technician as to why he or she is recommending a long block assembly replacement instead of a short block assembly like the TSB specifies. If it were the short block assembly that was recommended to be replaced then the TSB clearly states the engine is not to be disassembled for inspection. This all seems far too suspicious to me honestly. If the mechanic sticks to his or her original recommendation, then I will just bitew the bullet on the $129 USD diagnostic fee and not bring my car in. I can deal with the knocking for the remainder of our time with this car and honestly it give us a reason to just buy a Toyota and deal with less issues. I will update on what response I get back from the technician.

You will not make it "for the normal remainder of your car's life with that knock", a new Toyota is in your foreseeable future.It will eventually get worse.

·
Registered
343 Posts

You want a LONG block, you DO NOT want a short block. They were going to put in a short block into mine and I said NO WAY!!! All the engine fragments went all through that motor and the camshaft bearings are all scored up and you have metal in all the passageways that wont get completely cleaned out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Update (Engine Replacement Approved):
So its confirmed, Hyundai will replace the engine and cover the rental vehicle. The local Hyundai dealership will also reimburse the $130 diagnostic fee I paid on the first visit. Again our car was in its original owner 100k Powertrain warranty since we car had 60k+ miles on it. As to what exact part it is they are replacing, I dont know yet. The technician did recommend a long block but we'll have to wait and see. Overall we cannot complain. They did not ask for any maintenance records even though I've done all my oil changes myself. At the end of the day Hyundai stood by their product. I was worried dealer may try to pull a quick one on me and blame the engine ticking on bad maintenance but they didnt. At least this dealership didnt try pulling that. At the end of the day this is an expensive job they are getting paid for. So everyone wins. I'll update on what exactly was changed once work is completed. It certainly looks as if we'll be in this rented Tucson for some time though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Update (Long Block Assembly Replaced):
In total it took 21 days for the work to be completed. This is after the initial diagnostic appointment and you also have to factor in the time it took to ship the long block. They did replace the long block assembly which is actually more engine parts which were replaced than if just the short block assembly were to have been replaced. As to the noise I still hear a slight ticking but I dont find it to be as loud as it was before the long block replacement. Take a listen to the engine and you guys decide if there is any major noise difference. I have no complaints as this new long block can only be beneficial for the engine. I also attached the invoice. Thanks for all the help @Mainia.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Those prior recalls were for Theta engines, and the list I'm looking at does not show any Thetas being used in the Elantra. So does this mean that Hyundai is getting ready to say they also failed to properly clean Nu engine debris? Or perhaps a completely new story instead? I can hardly wait to read the next chapter of this never ending saga.
Can confirm that Nu motors are effected, 2016 EGT with 45k on the clock blew a hole in the block last week, saw pictures of the metal debris myself and now on the waiting list for a short block.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts