Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Elantra GT started knocking really badly last week. It was right after our extreme cold alerts after christmas that I heard a faint knocking sound, at first I thought it was just the cold and it needing more time to warm up.

But after getting it checked up by a friends father who has his own mechanic shop. He confirmed it was engine knock, found traces of metal in the oil. I always take it to him to get the oil changed every 6,000 kms.

Literally the same week this started I received a recall notice to update the ECM software. So I called in to make the appointment, and brought up how the engine has started knocking. The car just hit 87,000k and the 5 year warranty ended in October, just my luck. The representative who I spoke to said to bring it up with the service aid, and it would be up to Hyundai Canada to decide where to go with this.

Has this happened to anyone else here? What are the odds of Hyundai still honoring the issue, I've read other similar topics to this where this engine issues seems to be common. Should I start looking for a used engine?

·
Registered
155 Posts
5 year 100,000 kilometers in Canada. 10Year 100k miles in the US. Same car why the **** the difference.

Pat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So just got back from the dealership, they at first said they wouldn't look at it unless I had receipts of the oil change/ maintenance history.

After reviewing the car they confirmed it is indeed the short block.

I've had all the work done by a family friends shop, so we're getting the paper work from them today.
We've only changed the oil every 6k over the past 2 years, and have put about 21k on the car since we purchased it used. So roughly 4 oil changes were done.

If hyundai canada decides not to fix it, it'll be $6,000 in parts and labor for the dealership to replace the short block.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would have a hard time finding my oil receipts. I guess I would say pull the valve cover. I run only group 3 plus, group 4 and group 5 oils and don't go past 7,500 miles, so I figure my motors would be "in new condition"even after 100,000 miles. looking at the open head would speak for itself I would think. No varnish= properly care for motor.

When I received a new long block on my 14,000 mile 2013 Elantra GT last year nothing was said about oil changes, but then again I told them what oil I used up front and nothing was said other then you will be getting a new long block.

Let me know what you find with yours, mine was a Korean motor and they put in (they said) a USA motor and had to change out my alternator and bracket because they did not have the same blocks as back in 2013. My car is a DOG. it has no torque and it seems as if I am missing 20 hp. Before the new motor the original motor was a beast for a 1.8 liter. It had a very very strong pull in second gear from 4,500 on. My new motor has no "power band" or pull like it use too. It seems like a 1.6 liter a bad 1.6 liter. Just as a daily driver I am downshifting 2 gears just to move on to a flowing traffic. I never had to do this before. It had enough torque to advance in speed where this new motor downshifts into the lower gear but it has no power , so it downshifts again and now to 5,000 to 6,000 where it makes no sense to do that, but it has no power so it has too. Good luck on yours. I have 4,500 to 5,000 miles on my motor ....nothing has changed. I need to bring it in now that it has some miles on it and is almost broken in.

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
5 year 100,000 kilometers in Canada. 10Year 100k miles in the US. Same car why the **** the difference.

Pat.
Because you guys are more gullible than Americans? :D

Hyundai got a bad rep in the US thanks to early models that burned piston rings and other maladies. Their sales plummeted because of that, even though they were the least expensive cars in the US, other than the Yugo.

We didn't get the Pony and the Excel down here...they were in Canada first.

Sorry, I meant the Stellar, which, I believe, became the Excel in the US.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I would have a hard time finding my oil receipts. I guess I would say pull the valve cover. I run only group 3 plus, group 4 and group 5 oils and don't go past 7,500 miles, so I figure my motors would be "in new condition"even after 100,000 miles. looking at the open head would speak for itself I would think. No varnish= properly care for motor.

When I received a new long block on my 14,000 mile 2013 Elantra GT last year nothing was said about oil changes, but then again I told them what oil I used up front and nothing was said other then you will be getting a new long block.

Let me know what you find with yours, mine was a Korean motor and they put in (they said) a USA motor and had to change out my alternator and bracket because they did not have the same blocks as back in 2013. My car is a DOG. it has no torque and it seems as if I am missing 20 hp. Before the new motor the original motor was a beast for a 1.8 liter. It had a very very strong pull in second gear from 4,500 on. My new motor has no "power band" or pull like it use too. It seems like a 1.6 liter a bad 1.6 liter. Just as a daily driver I am downshifting 2 gears just to move on to a flowing traffic. I never had to do this before. It had enough torque to advance in speed where this new motor downshifts into the lower gear but it has no power , so it downshifts again and now to 5,000 to 6,000 where it makes no sense to do that, but it has no power so it has too. Good luck on yours. I have 4,500 to 5,000 miles on my motor ....nothing has changed. I need to bring it in now that it has some miles on it and is almost broken in.
Almost sounds like retarded timing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My wife just took her 2013 Elantra in for an oil change this past weekend. Service Manager let her that a recall is coming by the end of the year on the Elantras. The recall is for the same manufacturing error that led to recalls on the Sonata, Santa Fe and Sportage. The car has always a ticking noise since we purchased (brand new in May 2013 with less than 100 miles) and the dealer had always said it was normal. Now the sound is truly more of a knocking and is a lot louder.

Service Manager said to just keep driving it until we get the recall notice. I will contacting them today to discuss bringing the car in this week for them to drop the oil pan and diagnose the issue. Other owners have had the same issue with warranty repairs being approved already, but with long wait times (1-2 months) for a replacement engine to become available.

Hopefully we can get the repair done quickly, so that we can get rid of the car ASAP. I do not trust Hyundai now as they have been hiding this issue for the Elantras when these engines were built in the same factory as the other recalled vehicles. My thought is that once a recall goes out, the demand for replacement engines will sky rocket and many owners may be waiting months and months with out their vehicles.

Hopefully I can get some good news today from the Service Manager.

I am already looking into a possible class action lawsuit due to this issue and Hyundai not informing owners as of yet.

The Service Manager also told my wife that he had no issue with her driving the car even though the problem could cause the engine to seize and possibly causing an accident.

Will update once I get more info from the dealership.

·
Registered
308 Posts
.... Service Manager let her that a recall is coming by the end of the year on the Elantras. The recall is for the same manufacturing error that led to recalls on the Sonata, Santa Fe and Sportage. ....
Those prior recalls were for Theta engines, and the list I'm looking at does not show any Thetas being used in the Elantra. So does this mean that Hyundai is getting ready to say they also failed to properly clean Nu engine debris? Or perhaps a completely new story instead? I can hardly wait to read the next chapter of this never ending saga.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This would be for the Nu engines as they were built in the same factory apparently. I am not sure of much more info than that. It could just be that these engines are taking longer to have these issues?

My wife's car has had a ticking noise since the day we bought it. I had figured it was just perhaps due to weather and didn't think anything of it. Dealer always said it was normal when it was brought in for service and I have a lifetime powertrain warranty on it. Now they say it is likely a manufacturing defect and there will be a recall.

Not really sure what will happen with this, but how can any of us owners be sure that a replacement engine is any better than what they originally built? Are they building new engines to replace the defective ones?

I am really starting to think that I will just get rid of the thing for piece of mind in the end.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just got off the phone with the Service Manager and will be bringing the car into be looked at on the 20th of August (had to wait until they have a loaner available). He said that he has been hearing from all his reps that there will be a recall coming in the future, wasn't sure on time frame though. I asked about the stock of available replacement engines and he said that they have been sending a lot of them to colder climates (northern states and Canada). Once they go back and forth on the repair with Hyundai USA and it gets approved, then the car will sit until the parts come in and they can get the work done.

Not sure if they will give us a loaner for the whole duration or not.

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N Line, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (SOLD)
1,827 Posts
I was in talking to the service manager at my local dealer recently and I asked about the same problem as I do every time I go. I said I was surprised it isnt a recall and his response is "I am sure it will be soon". All this fits with what you are saying. I would love to have my engine under a warranty for much longer than it should be :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was in talking to the service manager at my local dealer recently and I asked about the same problem as I do every time I go. I said I was surprised it isnt a recall and his response is "I am sure it will be soon". All this fits with what you are saying. I would love to have my engine under a warranty for much longer than it should be :)
Yea, it will be interesting to see what happens warranty wise if they replace the engine. I paid for a bumper to bumper 100k mile warranty as well as the dealer giving a "lifetime" warranty on all the new vehicles they sell.

I am hoping that the replacement engine (if needed) doesn't have the same issues. It will be paid off in May and getting down to 2 car payments instead of 3 would be really nice. It was always the plan for my daughter to drive it once she comes of age (she is 11 now), but if the reliability isn't there after the work, it will be traded in for a non-Hyundai vehicle.

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N Line, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (SOLD)
1,827 Posts
Yea, it will be interesting to see what happens warranty wise if they replace the engine. I paid for a bumper to bumper 100k mile warranty as well as the dealer giving a "lifetime" warranty on all the new vehicles they sell.

I am hoping that the replacement engine (if needed) doesn't have the same issues. It will be paid off in May and getting down to 2 car payments instead of 3 would be really nice. It was always the plan for my daughter to drive it once she comes of age (she is 11 now), but if the reliability isn't there after the work, it will be traded in for a non-Hyundai vehicle.
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/hyundai-elantra-engine-ticking-noise-pistons-lawsuit.shtml

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
So just got back from the dealership, they at first said they wouldn't look at it unless I had receipts of the oil change/ maintenance history.

After reviewing the car they confirmed it is indeed the short block.

I've had all the work done by a family friends shop, so we're getting the paper work from them today.
We've only changed the oil every 6k over the past 2 years, and have put about 21k on the car since we purchased it used. So roughly 4 oil changes were done.

If hyundai canada decides not to fix it, it'll be $6,000 in parts and labor for the dealership to replace the short block.
Does the dealer know you bought the car used? I don't believe the warranty carries over unless you bought it from the dealer's used car lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yes the dealership knows its used. The warranty carries over up here.

But as a long over due update. I sent an email to Hyundai Canada in hopes that they might honor this issue. And got a reply saying that the dealership would reach out to me back in August

"Dear Mr.*****,

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Auto Canada Corp. We apologize for the delay in our response.

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing concerns with the Engine. We appreciate your patience while we review your concerns with the dealership; a representative from the (Agincourt Hyundai) will contacting you in 1-2 business days.

Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dragana
"

Have not heard anything from them since. Needless to say I've got start looking around for a used engine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Welcome to the new year for 2019 and I just wanted to continue to follow up on this issue to see if anybody has any updates. specifically any news from Hyundai that they were supposed to provide by end of year 2018 forthcoming?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts