Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have a 2013 Elantra GT with 38k miles on it and when I put my car in reverse today, the backup camera screen turned black with the red/green/yellow gridlines instead of showing the camera video. The radio unit itself is fully functional (display, touch screen, channel tuning, etc.) so I'm wondering if the camera could be shot? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks!
Josh

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
Check to see if someone put a piece of tape over it. :blink:

(did you check for blockage...?)

·
Registered
841 Posts
simple things first... is the camera opening on the hatch? both the logo opening, and the flap door over the lens. it might be a issue with the head unit... but check the mechanical item first.
Next might be a connection loose, either at the camera end or head unit, which you might want to take to the dealer if you are not comfortable checking it yourself.
Sounds like the video feed is either blacked out or disconnected in some way.
Not sure how the reverse switch interacts with it.... but if the head unit screen changes to black, I would think that is working okay.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Hey everyone,

I have a 2013 Elantra GT with 38k miles on it and when I put my car in reverse today, the backup camera screen turned black with the red/green/yellow gridlines instead of showing the camera video. The radio unit itself is fully functional (display, touch screen, channel tuning, etc.) so I'm wondering if the camera could be shot? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks!
Josh
Welcome to my world. I don't know about the warranty on the 2013, but if it is the same as the 2012, yours ran out 2,000 miles ago....:frown:

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
simple things first... is the camera opening on the hatch? both the logo opening, and the flap door over the lens. it might be a issue with the head unit... but check the mechanical item first.
Next might be a connection loose, either at the camera end or head unit, which you might want to take to the dealer if you are not comfortable checking it yourself.
Sounds like the video feed is either blacked out or disconnected in some way.
Not sure how the reverse switch interacts with it.... but if the head unit screen changes to black, I would think that is working okay.

Wait...wut? There's a flap and a logo over the lens?

Good idea..when it works...;)

·
22,777 Posts

Uh, yeah...me, too. A flap? Logo? Over the lens? Huh? What? Well, I've never... :eek: If true, whose bright idea was that? And, in defense of whomever's design it was, maybe it was a good plan. Maybe. And maybe I just don't understand the big picture. (And that wouldn't be a first.) :unsure:

·
Registered
3,379 Posts

Uh, yeah...me, too. A flap? Logo? Over the lens? Huh? What? Well, I've never... :eek: If true, whose bright idea was that? And, in defense of whomever's design it was, maybe it was a good plan. Maybe. And maybe I just don't understand the big picture. (And that wouldn't be a first.) :unsure:

I remember seeing one that the camera was in a door/flap behind the H logo on the rear. It would open up when put in reverse and close up in any other gear. It was pretty neat looking setup, but don't remember if that was on the GT or not.

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
I remember seeing one that the camera was in a door/flap behind the H logo on the rear. It would open up when put in reverse and close up in any other gear. It was pretty neat looking setup, but don't remember if that was on the GT or not.
I worked at a Toyota dealer. All they had was a small translucent plastic square the lens could see out. (Interesting thing about these cameras. If you put the lens RIGHT UP against a piece of even smoked plastic, it's like it's not even there. Ever wonder about the camera in your cable box?)

·
Registered
841 Posts
WOW... all this about a standard feature on the GT Tech??? LOL's all around

on the GT Tech.... (with Navigation head unit and back-up camera)
YES, the hatch Hyundai Logo pivots open, then up under there the camera housing is exposed. It has a powered flap over the lens (with a warning not to open it manually - lest you break it)
I don't remember if the camera moves outward or not about a half inch or so - don't think so. But I have rarely stood there and watched it in operation... usually the one in the seat looking at the screen.

Slick arrangement... never gets dirty/ wet/ icy/ frozen in winter driving conditions... and hidden from view for a neat appearance.

The Hyundai logo and flap movement... you can hear it open and close from the drivers seat..... so you know it opens and closes. There is a delay of a few seconds from shifting into reverse and the image on the dash screen. It also closes about 7 seconds after you have shifted into drive... usually as I am driving past my neighbours home.

nothing to worry about... the reliability = works flawlessly and the best part, stays clean and invisible unless you know its there.

·
22,777 Posts
Wow! Did not know this. Incredible that they would go to all this design work and implementation for a camera. Possible to fit a mini-gun back there, too?? You know, for those annoying tailgaters. "Back off, idiot, I'm already 15 mph OVER the posted limit! Or else..."

Or, less violent and more practical: a misting spray nozzle with a pressurized tank containing used motor oil from your last vehicle service. :eek:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Wow! Did not know this. Incredible that they would go to all this design work and implementation for a camera. Possible to fit a mini-gun back there, too?? You know, for those annoying tailgaters. "Back off, idiot, I'm already 15 mph OVER the posted limit! Or else..."

Or, less violent and more practical: a misting spray nozzle with a pressurized tank containing used motor oil from your last vehicle service. :eek:
LOL.. ya, it is slightly James Bondish in operation... :laugh:

·
Registered
841 Posts
here is a 22 second video on this.... it does flip open, flap opens as it extends about 1/2 inch out. you don't see the lens cover flap open in this video... just the logo flip and camera extension.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Makes a wonderful noise as it opens and closes too! :) #OnlyGTOwnersWouldKnow

·
Registered
841 Posts
for those complaining about the black screen.... OP never came back with his solution.... But in 7 years of ownership mine has gone black .... but only temporarily.... 3 times. Fixes itself a day later on start-up... or system restart after a few start-ups.. Can't explain why, and has been a few years since its happened,

If it persists... can't help you. But I suggest you just wait it out for a day or two before taking further steps beyond checking the operation of the pivoting logo and flap in front of lens is working fine.
Mine is a 2013 SE Tech model (Canada)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts