Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2013 Elantra GT in the US that I purchased used some time ago. I recently came across some discussions about the engine developing a knocking or ticking issue that requires engine replacement. It seems that most of these issues are encountered with the Elantra sedan. There are some discussions on the Elantra GT, but it seems to be mostly mentioned by Canadian owners.

Is this issue known to impact the Elantra GT? Is there anything that can be done to prevent the development of this issue?

Thanks!

·
Registered
841 Posts
It has not yet happened to my 2013 GT... I am at 123K kms (~77K miles)
Yes, there is an issue with the 1.8 NU engine. Nothing can be done to prevent it. Maintain your engine with timely oil changes. When or if the problem develops, the dealer might examine the motor for sludge. Since you didn't own the car from new, the past history of maintenance is unknown... but keep your receipts for oil changes... even if you do it yourself (note mileage). Dealer will determine if a motor replacement is warranted... and pass on the Hyundai corporate. When approved, a loaner car is usually provided for duration car is in the shop.
There is an outside chance yours has already been replaced.... though I cannot say how to tell visually, without searching the VIN at a dealer.
Hyundai recognizes the issues and has been replacing the engines as the problems been developing... even outside warranty. It's a manufacturing type defect... and seems to happen at any time in the life of the car. Some people have well over 200K miles and everything is good. Others developed the problem in the first years of ownership.
Once replaced, the engines are warranted for life of your ownership.
It is any 1.8 NU engine... from 2011 manufacturing and newer, sedan or GT. I think only Korean built engines (even if the sedan was built in USA. All GT's are built in Korea.
Doesn't matter if Canadian or USA model. I think the newer engines after 2013, Hyundai may have corrected the issue in manufacturing.... but that would be known to the sedan owners.

I have not heard if the i30 models in the rest of the world are affected... but many had different engine choices that were popular. NA models only had the 1.8 NU in the 2013 GT's and the 2011 - 2016 sedans (I think). The 2014+ GT's (GD models) have a 2.0 engine that had different issues or none at all.

·
Registered
85 Posts
2013 GT automatic. no knocking. the fuel economy and ride has improved a lot over the years. everything nice and tight..no squeaks or weird noises etc. I have owned toyota and honda and this car is better than both of those, I had a civic, and tercel. Since I am the original owner, and the car has been great for me, I'm thinking of just hanging onto it ...it only has 49K, km. so if a problem does develop at least it will probably be under 100K km, so should qualify for warranty service. my engine is korean built. I am in Canada. anybody who see's my car, offers to buy it from me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts