Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reddish color oil leaking on floor on right side of car, 13,000 miles and its not regular oil or transmission oil-tranny is sealed, i have an appointment aug.8th with dealer but just wondered if anyone knows what could be leaking....
This is the 2nd elantra, first 2003 with 143,000 miles sold it for 900 and bought this new one ....thanks Lin

·
Banned
998 Posts
Right side, means passenger side, right?

What is the location of leak?
I do not know what coolant they put in in factory, but glycol may seem oily as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry i have a hard time with computers. The leakis on the passenger side underneath by the right front tire.

·
Banned
998 Posts
red is transmission fluid, though its sealed it still can be leaking
Just because the transmission is SUPPOSED to be sealed, that doesn't mean that a seal or plug might not be leaking.

I think ATF is the only red colored oil left.......since the power steering probably is electric.
Did you read where the leak is located?
Transmission is on the driver side. No way it would "drip" on the passenger side.

sorry i have a hard time with computers. The leakis on the passenger side underneath by the right front tire.

To make sure what color it is, put a piece of white paper. Plus, if you see the liquid coming near the wheel it does not mean the source is there.

ATF could drip from ATF cooler, but it is unlikely...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Did you read where the leak is located?
Transmission is on the driver side. No way it would "drip" on the passenger side.
it will if its running down the side of something or within the plastic under engine covers and makes it over the the passenger side.

If there is a hint of red its ATF, what other fluid are a remote shade of red?

I have had 2 cars in the past that leaked at the atf cooler lines, if this car has a external trans cooler it could very well be the lines for that.

·
Banned
998 Posts
it will if its running down the side of something or within the plastic under engine covers and makes it over the the passenger side.
could be... I guess if the fluid was coming off the top of tranny it might find a way to drip only on the passenger side. Although, I find it very unlikely.

Why I questioned the responses? Because it is easy to say ATF is the only red fluid and no other idea was thrown.

How about glycol? Brake fluid contaminated with rust? Washer fluid?

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
No way it would "drip" on the passenger side.
Apparently you have never tried to trace the source of a leak in a roof. Liquids will travel LONG distances sometimes before they decide to drip off. ;)

And what makes you think that the cooler lines would be any LESS likely to leak than other plugs or fittings or gaskets ??

·
Banned
998 Posts
Apparently you have never tried to trace the source of a leak in a roof. Liquids will travel LONG distances sometimes before they decide to drip off.
oh c'mon... that too harsh. House to car. Due to mobility of the car I find it unlikely to drip only in one place, far away from the source. That's it.
Will see what the dealer says. IF they find anything :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gasket crushed

My oil leak was because when they changed the oil at 10,000 miles the guy tightened the bolt on the gasket way to much and crushed the gasket which caused the oil to leak, they had to change the oil again and replaced the gasket. Now I checked the oil and on the stick it is brownish, but on the floor it was a reddish brown.. thanks for all your wonderful comments.
Linmarie63

1 - 16 of 16 Posts