Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, gf complained the horns were kind of wimpy, thinking nothing of it I ordered a set of Roots Spyder Horns (114db) from my buddies at http://www.trailworthyfab.com.

So off with the bumper, which was crazy easy to remove in less than 10 mins time.

The 13' has a high and low 5.0a 12v 110db horn placed one on each side, the high on the driver and the low on the passenger. I thought they were plenty loud myself...More on that later :mad:

The horns stock have a blade connector which i despise, I took the horns apart and removed the blades and installed ring terminals onto the studs instead. Mounting a horn on each side i then mounted a relay in the center of the lower radiator area next to the outside air temp sensor, it is this location i also tapped into the green horn wire with a diode to activate the relay that feeds full battery voltage to both horns. I used a diode to prevent any backfeed and help with any electrical warranty complaints, as electricity can't flow backwards through a diode in most cases.

A single power wire was snaked into the engine bay, under the battery tray and into the back side of the fuse box were it was installed inline with a fuse onto an unused terminal in the box.

The results are great and you can literally feel the horns (aftermarket and stock are all triggered) in the floor.

Now the "more on that later" part. She did not tell me the horn she complained about was the "alarm" horn :eek::confused: Which is a seperate horn mounted in the engine bay on the pass side fender. Da fawk :confused:. At least shes happy.

Video of volume difference, excuse the mess I finished doing a lift for a buddy and its been **** hot and i just have not felt like picking up.

Attachments

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I'm very happy with the performance of the stock horn (it has bite, IMO) but I'm working on getting the proper connectors so I can fit my old '04 Santa Fe horns to the alarm horn circuit and get a proper dual-tone note that actually has volume. The stock alarm horn is a joke.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
You have joined a few of us wanting more from what's referred to as the horn.
Sounds nice!

·
22,793 Posts
I "had" a couple of old Volvo 240DL horns in "what used to be" the garage. LOL I'd completely forgotten about this mod. Maybe it's time to revisit my old stomping grounds at a "pull it yourself and save" salvage yard. (I love those places! Great way to spend a leisurely Satuday morning, strolling thru the junk...couple of screwdrivers, Crescent wrench, etc. in your back pockets. ;) )

·
Registered
304 Posts
I got BMW 5 Series horn installed on my Elantra '13. People respect it more now when I honk.. :-D. I din't really get it why Hyundai even bothered installing those ridiculous stock horns which screamed aloud "Hello people! I am a p*ussy"

·
Registered
911 Posts
I got BMW 5 Series horn installed on my Elantra '13. People respect it more now when I honk.. :-D. I din't really get it why Hyundai even bothered installing those ridiculous stock horns which screamed aloud "Hello people! I am a p*ussy"
LOL, You're right I just don't use it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with my stock horn

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi im a planning to replace my stock horn with the mitsuba horn. Just want to get some inputs if i am getting the right horn for my Ellie.

Thanks.

·
22,793 Posts
I rarely use the horn. Someone cuts me off I just clutch down and Rev high. I can see then in their rearview, then the little hand comes up to apologize. lol
I love to see that "little hand" wave in the rear window, be it an act of thanks or an apology...tint visibility notwithstanding. I've done it, too. For both reasons. That gesture is pretty common place, here. Arguably, some of the most courteous drivers I've ever been around. We have our idiots, to be sure and they have a different hand gesture. But their numbers greatly pale in comparison to the nice folks you find.

I must have grown tolerant of the alarm horn. I hardly ever hear it anymore because I watch for the side mirror's blink confirmation. That has been good enough for me.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I'm very happy with the performance of the stock horn (it has bite, IMO) but I'm working on getting the proper connectors so I can fit my old '04 Santa Fe horns to the alarm horn circuit and get a proper dual-tone note that actually has volume. The stock alarm horn is a joke.
Same here, the stock horn is fine, the horn I actually replaced with the Fiamm was the alarm horn simply because it sounded awful. And the alarm horn is the easiest one to swap out, very accessible and you don't have to pull the bumper cover.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts