Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this car used from a dealership a year ago and learned how to drive stick on it; I've grown very attached to this car. When I brought it in for my last oil change (this was some time ago) there was a CPU upgrade and ever since I've found shifting gears (up or down) to be incredibly inconsistent. Assuming that it was just was me, and having been away from the car for a short while, my technique.. I then asked some friends who are much more proficient at manual cars than me, to test it out. They found the same thing.

There are instances where the car will shift smoothly, for an entire road trip, and others where every gear change is jerky and uncomfortable (despite proper technique). I have also noticed that on occasion when I start the car and it's idling, it's idle RPM goes very low (500), and others, when it rests quite high for a period (1500). I've usually chalked that up to the weather, but it seems to be independent of the temperature outside.. and I can't distinguish a clear pattern of when it will do it. There have been even fewer instances where the car just won't turn on.

My car is still under an extensive warranty, but I before I bring it into the shop I want to have a better idea of what might be happening so that I can be accurate with what's going on.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
How long ago was the flash done? Did the shift concern start immediately after the flash?

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
Yes. It was several, several months ago and I noticed it straight away.

They may not have finished the flash correctly or didn't flash using the correct update.

Take it back.

·
Registered
785 Posts
The idle speed on startup is related to the temperature of the engine whenever you start it. If my car has been sitting overnight in the winter (ok, we call it winter, but it may only be 45 degrees F outside), the engine will start and idle at around 1500 rpm for the first 10 or so seconds. If i had only driven my car last time an hour ago, the engine will not rev that high on startup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts