Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

My very first post! :D

I just bought a brand new 2013 Elantra! I love the car, but over the past week or so I have started to feel the car's transmission (auto) jerk when it shifts from 3rd to 4th gear. I feel the car hesitate somewhat when going from 3rd and then jerk into 4th gear if that makes any sense. The car has less than 1000 miles and it never did it when I first bought it. The transmission was always smooth until recently. Also, when coasting down the road I feel the car jerk forward when I give it some gas which also feels very strange to me!? :confused: If anyone has any input that would be great!

Thanks guys!:)

·
22,788 Posts
+1 This is a no-brainer for an owner experiencing something of this magnatude. Warranties make up a portion of the MSRP of a vehicle. Might as well get your money's worth!

·
Registered
520 Posts
If anyone has any input that would be great!

Have you taken the car to back to the dealer? If not, why not? You say this has been happening "over the past week or so"

I don't believe what you are describing is normal.

Take the car to the dealership service and have it checked out.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi guys!

My very first post! :D

I just bought a brand new 2013 Elantra! I love the car, but over the past week or so I have started to feel the car's transmission (auto) jerk when it shifts from 3rd to 4th gear. I feel the car hesitate somewhat when going from 3rd and then jerk into 4th gear if that makes any sense. The car has less than 1000 miles and it never did it when I first bought it. The transmission was always smooth until recently. Also, when coasting down the road I feel the car jerk forward when I give it some gas which also feels very strange to me!? :confused: If anyone has any input that would be great!

I think I have the solution for you, it worked for me. Do a soft reset of the ECU as stated below in one of the threads. (Credits: Arnab)
However, I did something slightly different in the 2nd step, I pressed and released the accelerator twice very slowly, and on the 3rd press - I held it for more than 5 secs and then released it.
Try what works for you! It has made my gear shifts ALMOST like CVT transmission..:D:D

Note ALL the electrical must be shut off, including climate control. Don't operate anything electrical, radio-windows-dome light-etc, during the procedure.

1) Turn the Key to the "on" position (the position right before you start your engine)

2) Press and hold your gas pedal down for more than 5 seconds

3) With gas pedal still down, turn Key to "off" position (dont remove the key) and then release the gas pedal.

4) Wait at least 2 minutes for the car systems to reset.

This "soft reset" rests the tranny and ECU to original "agressive" factory defaults - since "adaptive" program was designed for economy, and not performance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I have the solution for you, it worked for me. Do a soft reset of the ECU as stated below in one of the threads. (Credits: Arnab)
However, I did something slightly different in the 2nd step, I pressed and released the accelerator twice very slowly, and on the 3rd press - I held it for more than 5 secs and then released it.
Try what works for you! It has made my gear shifts ALMOST like CVT transmission..:D:D

Note ALL the electrical must be shut off, including climate control. Don't operate anything electrical, radio-windows-dome light-etc, during the procedure.

1) Turn the Key to the "on" position (the position right before you start your engine)

2) Press and hold your gas pedal down for more than 5 seconds

3) With gas pedal still down, turn Key to "off" position (dont remove the key) and then release the gas pedal.

4) Wait at least 2 minutes for the car systems to reset.

This "soft reset" rests the tranny and ECU to original "agressive" factory defaults - since "adaptive" program was designed for economy, and not performance.

Tried the soft reset earlier today but it did not seem to solve the issue. I may try it again later today. I am bringing it into the dealer this next Monday to have them look at it.

This is really frustrating since the car is practically new (818 total miles on the car). I just want to know if anyone else has had a similar issue and what was done to fix the issue. Thanks!:)

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
As lame as it sounds, I believe your transmission is defective and will likely need to be replaced. My mom just went through the same issue with her 2012 Acura MDX when it began hanging up and slipping in reverse.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Are you sure it's not the 2-3 upshift that's getting botched? The 2-3 shift is the hardest to execute smoothly due to the layout of the geartrain. The dealer will plug it into the portable GDS and drive it and check solenoid timing and if one of the solenoids is out of spec, they will replace it. You suggest that this occurs all the time rather than being intermittent, and it suggests a solenoid issue. My money is on the "OD" solenoid - the OD clutch applies on the 3-4 shift and then stays applied all the way up through 6th.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you sure it's not the 2-3 upshift that's getting botched? The 2-3 shift is the hardest to execute smoothly due to the layout of the geartrain. The dealer will plug it into the portable GDS and drive it and check solenoid timing and if one of the solenoids is out of spec, they will replace it. You suggest that this occurs all the time rather than being intermittent, and it suggests a solenoid issue. My money is on the "OD" solenoid - the OD clutch applies on the 3-4 shift and then stays applied all the way up through 6th.
I probably should have been more specific in my original post. Transmission is jerky only when car is warmed up. When it is cold it shifts smooth;y. The 3-4 hard shift does not happen all the time, but it is frequent enough for myself to notice.

After doing some research it looks like it may be related to the tempature sensor on the transmission. Taking it into the dealer soon and hopefully they figure it out. ^_^

·
22,788 Posts
Please post the findings of the dealer. Here's hoping it's a quick fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A quick update for anyone out there...

The dealer said that they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. They said it performed "flawless" in the road test, which I find hard to believe!

I found that if I drive the car with an a light foot that it shifts like butter. It seems to shift fine at RPMs around 2000 but anything more it jerks going from 3rd to 4th gear. No other jerking in any other gears, just from 3rd to 4th at RPMs greater than 2000. For me, this does not seem normal.

Can anyone else chime in on how their 2013 Elantra shifts?

Thanks guys :)

·
22,788 Posts
I'll try to test this out on the way to work this morning, OHP permitting. ;) I'm getting too old for moving violations tickets. LOL

"Uh, officer, I was testing out this theory for a friend, see, and well, I, uh..."

·
Registered
952 Posts
My Elantra shifts just fine when left in "D" and at any RPM. I try to keep shifts around 2250-3000 rpm, any sooner then that feels like a bus could pass me. Now if I switch over to manual mode it does tend to have slightly firmer shifts but still pretty smooth.

·
Registered
53 Posts
jerking 2nd to 3rd gear when cold

I have the slippage and jerking when the car is cold going from 2nd to 3rd. It happens a few times and then seems ok. The dealer wasn't able to find any problem or duplicate it, but it happens every time on cold startup. It's not done this in the past, but is it a sign of a problem or normal?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hmmm I would say that my car feels kinda jerky as well.. Especially in stop in go crazy busy highway traffic.. If I just drive with my foot gradually pressing the gas in normal driving conditions it's fine.. But at times it can be a little jerky.. I think this is normal for the car to be honest.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I should also note that the jerkyness feeling is really only in the first two gear shifts and downshifting sometimes... Other than that it's really smooth and the RPMS never go above 3500 RPM during shifts and that's when I almost floor it..

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I have the slippage and jerking when the car is cold going from 2nd to 3rd. It happens a few times and then seems ok. The dealer wasn't able to find any problem or duplicate it, but it happens every time on cold startup. It's not done this in the past, but is it a sign of a problem or normal?
What you are feeling is probably not slippage as much as a sort of odd lurch where the engine seems to lag in rpm and there is a delay before third gear engages. I think the reason the dealer can't find a problem is that the car is warm when they test it. There is a fluid temperature sensor that the computer relies on to determine proper shift timing, and when it doesn't report temperature accurately or reliably, shift quality suffers. The dealer can't "see" this condition until the sensor wanders so far out of spec that it sets a trouble code in the TCM.

I find that my car has an offbeat ("delayed" and "lazy") 2-3 shift when the temperatures are below 50F, and if I use the manual gate to force the 2-3 at lower engine rpm, the shift is even more delayed and third gear engages with more of a thump. That tells me that my TFT sensor (trans fluid temperature) isn't doing its job perfectly, but I am willing to live with it because it is harmless. Once the engine temp gage gets to 2 or 3 pips, it's fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i just picked up my GLS on the weekend... noticed similar things but chalked it up to being used to my crappy car..

but after a couple days.... it seems the jerky feeling is due to being a 6 speed set up for economy... it changes gears alot and doesnt always get it right in every situation... letting off the gas feels like its downshifting and gets touchy when you get back on the gas for example..

or maybe im wrong and we both have issues.. lol

1 - 20 of 38 Posts