Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought the Homelink mirror(3S062-ADU00) and I want to wire it into my overhead lights. I do not have a sunroof, but I did notice that the overhead lights do turn off automatically after a few minutes even if you forget to turn them off, therefore I should be able to splice into them and not fear of draining the battery.

The mirror calls for 3 wires(IGN 12V, Battery, Ground). The overhead lights have 4 wires:

Ground(-)
Battery(+)
Door(-)
Room(+)

So, for the mirror I can hook up Battery to Battery and Ground to Ground, but I do not know what to hook up IGN 12V to? Should I hook it up to the "Room(+)" or Door(-)? What's the difference?

I know a lot of people have routed there wires to the fuse panel, but this just seems easier. Also, I do not see a downside to doing this, unless I am missing something.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John M.

·
22,793 Posts
Here's a link to just familiarize you with it: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/222-yf-2011-sonata-i45/134728-diy-homelink-mirror.html It's a Sonata install, but the general points of disassembly and guidelines are good to see. You can PM "stang2008." He just did this a few months ago and can guide you to the correct wiring.

Mine has the Homelink, but it was wired up to the fuse box. That's not too bad of an install although it does take a bit more time. It does require running your wires between the roof and the headliner. Quite a gap up there at the windshield to tuck them in. Then, down the A-pillar. And that's not so bad. Just pull the cover out a bit, no need to remove it entirely. After the wire run, just snap the clips back into their slots.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response, but the Sonata has different color wiring. The Elantra GLS does not have a Blue wire(Ignition). It has Yellow/Black Striped, Black, Red, Yellow.

Ground(-) - Black
Battery(+) - Red
Door(-) - Yellow
Room(+) - Yellow/Black Striped

So, for the ignition wire, should I tap into the Yellow(Door(-)) or the Yellow/Black(Room(+))?

Thanks,
John M.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The way I ended up having to wire a device from the map light source, way avoiding it altogether. The power was too inconsistent.
I ended up using the vanity lights for my 12v + and ground source.
I had to run the Ign/Acc source up the A-pillar. It has worked flawlessly ever since.

·
22,793 Posts
{--- This is the way my Homelink is connected, but that is to the fuse box.

However, (this is somewhat unrelated but in that map light area) when installing LED footwell lighting to work with the map lights coming on/dimming down, I used the RED wire and the Yellow/Black stripe wire for my circuit. Not sure this will do it for you.

Best bet: if you have a meter, you could turn on the ignition and test the circuits on the harness up in the map lights to see which one has power when the engine is on. Turn it off and see if the meter goes to zero.

·
Registered
660 Posts
So, for the ignition wire, should I tap into the Yellow(Door(-)) or the Yellow/Black(Room(+))?

Thanks,
John M.
Do not use those wires.

What else does your mirror do besides homelink? I installed a homelink in my GT and it only required two wire connection (12v and a neg).

Gray homelink & LED map lights.jpg

·
Registered
660 Posts
The wire marked DOOR - is for the lights to come on when the door is opened. When the switch on the map light console is in the door position. It closes the light circuit by completing the ground to the circuit.

The wire marked ROOM + is for the dome light to get 12V+ to power it on.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its Homelink(Garage door opener), auto dimming, and compass. The mirror has three wires(Ignition, Battery, Ground).

Can you tell me why not to use those wires? My lights look different then the pic that you attached.

Thanks,
Ashish

·
Registered
660 Posts
They look different because mine is a GT, but still the same concept.
The last post I made explains why the other wires won't assist you.
Your auto dim and compass will require the Ign 12v the operate. You must retrieve that from below the dash. There isn't an Ign source in the headliner with your stock setup.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks AAAAcent & OkieRich.

I will try the multimeter either today or tomorrow, to see if any wire in the overhead are switched on ignition. However, it looks like there aren't, so then will wire to the fuse box.

Thanks again guys...

·
Registered
660 Posts
Thanks AAAAcent & OkieRich.

I will try the multimeter either today or tomorrow, to see if any wire in the overhead are switched on ignition. However, it looks like there aren't, so then will wire to the fuse box.

Thanks again guys...
Glad to assist. Be careful to route the wire up/down the A-pillar towards the windshield side of the airbag curtain and cord. You don't want your wire to obstruct the curtain.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yeah I wanted to do it the way you're talking about but I ended up going down the A pillar. Okie helped me out a lot! But I will say it was very easy doing it that way. Removed the fuse box cover and had enough room to wire everything without pulling anything else off besides the a-pillar. I have a pdf that has the exact instructions as well if you end up doing that way.

·
22,793 Posts
From one of my previous posts on this subject:

"Let's try to simplify this, son. Pull off the cover to your fuse box. Take a peek inside. Find the yellow fuse switch located at the bottom center of the fuse box. It's clearly labeled "ON" at the top and "OFF" at the bottom of the switch. Directly to the left you will see a black "Mate-N-Lock" connector with 3 wires coming out and extending down (wrapped in electrical tape) below the fuse box. Wire colors are (L-R) Red, Pink, and Black w/Pink stripe.

If your Homelink mirror is like mine, there will be a 3-ribbon wire strip consisting of 2 solid black wires and one black/white striped wire.

Attach the Black/White striped wire to the Blue/Pink striped wire using a wire connector. The "middle" black wire connects to the Red wire. The last Black wire goes to Ground. Easiest ground to use is the bolt that holds the fuse box to the metal frame bracket. (10mm, I believe)

That should get a brother hooked up. Assuming, of course, your mirror has the same 3-wire ribbon and the Mate-N-Lock connector has the same wires exiting it. All same colors! If there is any variance, stop and think it out.

Getting the wire down the A-pillar is pretty easy with Woketman's assist. Lastly, pic on first page shows wire/color reference."

·
Registered
952 Posts
From one of my previous posts on this subject:

"Let's try to simplify this, son. Pull off the cover to your fuse box. Take a peek inside. Find the yellow fuse switch located at the bottom center of the fuse box. It's clearly labeled "ON" at the top and "OFF" at the bottom of the switch. Directly to the left you will see a black "Mate-N-Lock" connector with 3 wires coming out and extending down (wrapped in electrical tape) below the fuse box. Wire colors are (L-R) Red, Pink, and Black w/Pink stripe.

If your Homelink mirror is like mine, there will be a 3-ribbon wire strip consisting of 2 solid black wires and one black/white striped wire.

Attach the Black/White striped wire to the Blue/Pink striped wire using a wire connector. The "middle" black wire connects to the Red wire. The last Black wire goes to Ground. Easiest ground to use is the bolt that holds the fuse box to the metal frame bracket. (10mm, I believe)

That should get a brother hooked up. Assuming, of course, your mirror has the same 3-wire ribbon and the Mate-N-Lock connector has the same wires exiting it. All same colors! If there is any variance, stop and think it out.

Getting the wire down the A-pillar is pretty easy with Woketman's assist. Lastly, pic on first page shows wire/color reference."

looks like a little mistake??? Black with Pink should be Blue with Pink?

From Left to Right should be

Red, Pink, Blue/pink wires.

·
22,793 Posts
You're right "Aceb..." Thanks for catching that. Having, yet, another Senior moment! LMAO

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, I will go down the A-Pillar to the fuse box, since that seems like the easiest/best solution.

Another question - The wire that came with the mirror is not long enough to make it to the fuse panel, so what gauge wire did you use to extend it? Also did you just wrap the connections with electrical tape?

Sorry, I haven't worked with electrical connections in a car before, that's why asking a few basic questions.

Thanks,
John M.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If anyone is looking to save money and get the homelink installed, you can do what I did and search Car-Part.com

I found mine for $35 and $20 to ship, the junk yard I got it from said it was practically brand new and only had a couple hundred miles. There are a few Homelink Mirrors for the Elantra's still out there. Definitely cheaper than Ebay or a dealer.

·
22,793 Posts
The wire that came with the mirror is not long enough to make it to the fuse panel, so what gauge wire did you use to extend it? Also did you just wrap the connections with electrical tape?
I will defer to Stang2008 or others that have actually installed this. Mine was already installed when I bought the car.

On splicing or adding a wire, my recommendation is to #1) solder the connections (preferred method), or #2) use a "butt connector" commonly found in most auto parts stores, Wal*Mart auto department, etc. Fairly inexpensive, too. I'd leave the electrical tape out of this equation. It works, I just don't want to resort to that method if a more permanent and BETTER solution is available. If you make a GREAT connection the first time, you never have to go back and do it again. What's that old saying, "You don't have time to do it right the first time, but you always manage to find the time to redo it a second time?"

Wire gauge? You should be okay with a 18awg wire. Or, a wire that looks similar in size to the ones you see in the above picture. I'll also defer to the experts on here for that, as well.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I highly recommend using Posi-Lock splice connectors when connecting wires and Posi-Tap when tapping into another wire. These connectors require only a wire stripper, no other tool to connect. You would be fine using 18-20 ga wire for this install.

This is the best price Store I found for the Posi-Lock & Posi-Tap connectors.

·
22,793 Posts
I highly recommend using Posi-Lock splice connectors
I'm glad you posted this. I had completely forgotten about those. However done, it is generally agreed that "doing it correctly, is the only way to go."

I seem to have completely forgotten about a lot of stuff, lately. The doctors in the OR tell me not to worry about it...it's stress related. And once we get settled back into our home (tornado), it'll all come back. Man, I'm looking forward to that!!! ;)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts