Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2013 Elantra GLS last weekend. When the engine is running at idle and I'm standing outside of the car, the engine seems to be noisy. Maybe to the point where there is a small exhaust leak somewhere. I don't notice the noise when I'm driving the car - interior noise seems normal. Is it normal for the 1.8L engine to be a bit noisy at idle? The car just turned 100 miles. Thanks!

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Is it normal for the 1.8L engine to be a bit noisy at idle? The car just turned 100 miles. Thanks!
Yes, it's a bit noisier than even my old 2liter Dodge Caliber, which wasn't beloved by anyone, but was serviceable, reliable, worked & was quiet. Try some 100% gasoline, which may make your Elantra a bit smoother. The problem is Austin, which had 100% gasoline in outer towns up to a year ago, seems to have no 100% gasoline now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, my mothers car makes the same noise since new. It is a ticking noise sometimes loud sometimes mute. Dealership says it is normal. Was your car manu in Korea or Alabama? Our car was made in Korea and my experience is seems to be more related with Korea made than Alabama cars.

·
Registered
905 Posts
What you are probably hearing (the loudest) is injector noise. It is normal. Some cars are just noisier than others.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Normal....this topic has been beaten to death and back about fifty times.

·
22,793 Posts
:wallbash::beathorse: ^^^ What he said!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts